TKD instructor promoting too fast?

Most WTF schools in my area have and many others have abandoned the Katas and so-called
self defense moves and train only for Olympic style fighting. The art has evolved into this because
of the fierce competition worldwide. The level of fighting has improved drastically since becoming an
Olympic sport in 1988.

Personally, in a decade of TKD training I've never heard the term "Kukki-TKD". I suppose your refering to the Kukkiwon (The WTF headquarters in Seoul).

furious_styles said:
Most WTF schools in my area have and many others have abandoned the Katas
poomse

and so-called self defense moves and train only for Olympic style fighting. The art has evolved into this because of the fierce competition worldwide. The level of fighting has improved drastically since becoming an Olympic sport in 1988.
The competition has increased and the top athletes train most of their time for competition and not forms, and this is natural and understandable.

But the art didn't evolve into this. The art still has all those components, and all those components are required for a black belt test.

It's just that some schools don't teach TKD anymore. They teach Olympic sparring and call it TKD.

Personally, in a decade of TKD training I've never heard the term "Kukki-TKD". I suppose your refering to the Kukkiwon (The WTF headquarters in Seoul).
Kukkiwon is more than the WTF headquarters. Kukkiwon is a institution completely separate from the WTF, although the WTF headquarters are located in this building too.

The Kukkiwon sets the standards for the belt promotions, gives out black belts, decides on which forms make up taekwondo, how taekwondo techniques should be done, does course for instructors, and houses black belt tests. Basically, Kukkiwon is Taekwondo headquarters.

WTF is simply an organisation which organises tournaments. You can't get a black belt from the WTF. You can't do a WTF form, there aren't any. You can't do a round kick the "WTF way". All you can do is go to a tournament organised by the WTF. All the other things are done by the Kukkiwon. And if you do go to a WTF tournament, the first thing they will ask to see is your Kukkiwon black belt certificate.

This is the standard Taekwondo as practiced in South Korea, and by the vast majority of TKD practitioners -- though you truly get to see EVERYTHING in the West. It is also called "Kukki-Taekwondo".

TKD was only recognized as a medal sport in 2000. 1988 it was a demo sport

furious_styles said:
Most WTF schools in my area have and many others have abandoned the Katas and so-called
self defense moves and train only for Olympic style fighting. The art has evolved into this because
of the fierce competition worldwide. The level of fighting has improved drastically since becoming an
Olympic sport in 1988.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
poomse

It's just that some schools don't teach TKD anymore. They teach Olympic sparring and call it TKD.

This is the standard Taekwondo as practiced in South Korea, and by the vast majority of TKD practitioners -- though you truly get to see EVERYTHING in the West. It is also called "Kukki-Taekwondo".

Do you believe that this is wrong in the overall scheme of things? I am curious as to what everyone thinks regarding the WTF olympic sparring and lack of emphasis on forms. I also had the sense of promoting too quickly although the only person I could not beat sparring were the instructor's son and daughter. They had extremely strong kicks. I moved from the area. I was looking forward to learning the strategic footwork and combinations. I think the instructor recognized that I was ready for that although I did not necessarily feel that I was ready.

The emphasis on froms was minimal. We did practice them prior to promotions though. The emphassis was more on sparring and competing.

Ghostrider said:
Do you believe that this is wrong in the overall scheme of things? I am curious as to what everyone thinks regarding the WTF olympic sparring and lack of emphasis on forms. I also had the sense of promoting too quickly although the only person I could not beat sparring were the instructor's son and daughter. They had extremely strong kicks. I moved from the area. I was looking forward to learning the strategic footwork and combinations. I think the instructor recognized that I was ready for that although I did not necessarily feel that I was ready.

The emphasis on froms was minimal. We did practice them prior to promotions though. The emphassis was more on sparring and competing.
In my opinion, this is fine.

I also don't have interest in doing forms hour after hour, while neglecting sparring. Clearly, in a competitive martial art like TKD, sparring should be emphasised.

But I do believe that clean basics and decent forms are important.

If for no other reason than the fact that a person who is too lazy to learn a friggin form half-way properly obviously doesn't have what it takes to be a fighter.

Top fighters usually have absolutely no problem with forms or proper technical execution of forms in their martial art.

This is a ver informative thread. I studied a TKD encyclopadia a long time ago, and it taught me basic kicking and punching in a pretty reasonable manner. I havent heard much about it since then seems like theres been a lot of recent evolution.

I train at two wtf schools.

At one there is a big sport emphasis & it it takes 2-3 years to become Blackbelt. A lot of training involves drills for basic & advanced kicks, attacks & counters, basic & advanced combos & reaction work. Also a lot of sport-specific training like sprints.

The other is more traditional and focuses more on self-defence & poomse in addition to some hard old-school fitness training. Due to the fact that they have retained the palgwe forms as well as the taeguk forms & some jidokwan forms it takes a bit longer to achieve black belt; usually 4-5 years.

Which is better? Neither, which is why I attend both schools: to experience the full spectrum of TKD.

DarthTex said:
Is there a way to know that my TKD school is legitimate?
Ask yourself some questions......What are your goals with learning tkd?.....Do you feel like you are progressing at all?......Do you feel more flexible?......Do you feel stronger?.....Does your teachers explain the mechanics and science behind the movements that you are doing?......I could go on and on .....Basically its all about how YOU feel and whether or not your instuctor is helping you obtain your goals in tkd and as a fighter. That is how you tell if your school is legit.

That is a good point. I did become more flexible and we did lots of cardio exercises plus speed drills which certainly improved my physical fitness. I recently was working out at a gym and starting kicking the bag. a couple of friends who are TKD blackbelts(one ITF and one WTF) were commenting that I had good form in addition to giving me some pointers on some mistakes I was making (I was taught correctly although i was kicking somewhat lazily).

The point is that although I had some misgivings, I did learn good technique which I say makes the school I went to legit.

On a different subject: I recently checked out a new school ITF. The Instructor basically told me that since I did not have a heavy emphasis on forms that I would likely start from scratch (rather than green belt) if I were to start there.

I found this interesting and although it did bother me initially, I do not have a problem with that as long as the new school provides superior training.

some schools do that Ghostrider.....at ours we bring you in at the rank you were and before you test for your next rank you must learn all the forms below you

That makes sense. I would be ok if I go to a WTF school which I need to check out. I do like the idea of "growing up" learning both styles. That would be interesting. In the meantime, I am practicing on my own. does anyone know any good books that are taekwondo related? have checked out a few and many do not necessarily impress me.

furious_styles said:
Why diss WTF, ITF guy? We fight full contact you guys only tap each other, whats the problem?

Yeah? And we WTF guys might as well keep our hands in our pockets for how much we guard our heads. :rolleyes:

I know, I used to be WTF. I always got lectured because I was 'concentrated too much on guarding instead of kicking.'

I wish I took ITF taekwondo along with WTF, those guys know how to actually execute a proper fighting stance, but they also love to point spar. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong though, I loved WTF TKD. My point is, don't throw stones, TKD has a bad enough rep as it is.

Ghostrider said:
does anyone know any good books that are taekwondo related? have checked out a few and many do not necessarily impress me.

Scientific coaching for olympic taekwondo by Willy Pieter and John Heijmans.....this book is good for learning about periodization and training schedual which is important especially if you compete alot

taekwondo kyorugi by Kuk Hyun Chung, Kyung Myung Lee, Sang H. Kim .......this is also a pretty good one

Don't get me wrong though, I loved WTF TKD. My point is, don't throw stones, TKD has a bad enough rep as it is.

You're right, i just got a little defensive. A friend of mine is an ex-european champion in ITF and I've spared with him several times.

He changed my attitude towards ITF. He also showed me tapes of his fights at world championships and Eastern europe tournements and these guys actually do hit almost full contact. He made the transition to WTF for mainly political reasons but has had a dificult time adjusting to the sparring.

I respect both styles to the max, one should never underestimate either of them.

peace

DarthTex said:
I have been training TKD for 6 months now and I am in yellow belt soon to test my green stripe in Feb because every time there is a test there is grading fees is he just hungry for money?

Hence my name "blackbeltnow"

pay 1000$ get your blackbeltnow

BlackBeltNow said:
Hence my name "blackbeltnow"

pay 1000$ get your blackbeltnow
We know you went to the worst of the McDojos.

No need to keep repeating it in every thread.

Some people go to legit schools. No need to hate the whole world because of your loss.

When I was younger and trained in TKD (because I hadn't discovered MT yet) there was one really good school in town. We were schooled in the traditional ways of TKD and did forms, point sparring (when tournaments were coming up) and then our one-steps, but our sensei also cross trained us in other things that helped us progress in our self defense. It wasn't cross training like for MMA, but for street defense. Our sensei taught us boxing fundamentals so we always kept our hands up while sparring. He'd always get on to us when we let our hands drop when throwing kicks.

Goat Meal said:
When I was younger and trained in TKD (because I hadn't discovered MT yet) there was one really good school in town. We were schooled in the traditional ways of TKD and did forms, point sparring (when tournaments were coming up) and then our one-steps, but our sensei also cross trained us in other things that helped us progress in our self defense. It wasn't cross training like for MMA, but for street defense. Our sensei taught us boxing fundamentals so we always kept our hands up while sparring. He'd always get on to us when we let our hands drop when throwing kicks.
Did you call your instructor "sensei"?

Back