TJ was right to leave TAM, he's not a snake

Yes he tried to do that initially, and Faber was ok with it for awhile, but when TJ made the decision to leave and join Elevation (which is his right to leave), everyone else knew first, except the man who helped him get to the top. You see where I'm going with this? The problem isn't whether TJ could leave TAM or not, that's not the issue, the issue is HOW he left and how he disrespected his friend and his coach.
At the end of the day, it's inconsequential to anyone whose name isn't Urijah Faber or TJ Dillashaw. This type of gym drama happens all the time in MMA. The only reason we pretend to care about this is because Conor told us to. It's unfortunate to see TJ's name dragged through the mud over this when other fighters - one of which is beloved on Sherdog - have left their gyms on much worse terms.

Last edited:
Yes he tried to do that initially, and Faber was ok with it for awhile, but when TJ made the decision to leave and join Elevation (which is his right to leave), everyone else knew first, except the man who helped him get to the top. You see where I'm going with this? The problem isn't whether TJ could leave TAM or not, that's not the issue, the issue is HOW he left and how he disrespected his friend and his coach.
We all agree that TJ wasn't straightforward in this process but that's no reason for Faber to make a huge ass of himself accusing Dillashaw of using PED's. It's not like TJ didn't pay it forward to the gym while he was there.

Joe B, has pretty much beaten everyone is his division except for DJ, and TJ won the belt when he was with TAM, he lost it after he left. Chad went to the finals 2x and lost to another HOF in Aldo, and you're going to parrot whatever Dom says?
Dom speaks the truth, Bang Ludwig helped him win that belt, and he lost it to Cruz, a guy who hasn't lost since forever...I look at facts, and the fact is that team alpha male can't win belts for whatever reason, everyone there should look around and train in various places to improve their skills.

maxresdefault.jpg

It wasn't snake-like I would have handled it differently but you have to be a man and do what's best for you and your family it's that simple

Part of being a man is showing respect, you also set an example for your family, TJ set a poor example (not terrible, but certainly not good).

This post is an excellent analysis of TAM with a fair judgment about its place in the world of MMA. That makes it unlike about 99 percent of posts here at Sheepdog.

I agree with you, but cannot give you a like, comparing shertards to sheepdogs is just cruel to the dogs.

Maybe he was smart and a snake, maybe he is dumb and not a snake. Who really knows?

However, Conor predicted it. Mystic Mack strikes again.

We all agree that TJ wasn't straightforward in this process but that's no reason for Faber to make a huge ass of himself accusing Dillashaw of using PED's. It's not like TJ didn't pay it forward to the gym while he was there.

lol now you're bringing up something completely different to what was at hand. Maybe he "paid" it forward like he should, after what the team and Faber did for him?

Right or wrong, Faber was just fucking with both TJ and Cruz.

Bucholz, who normally has never issued a word about the beef TJ and Faber, and always said positive things about TJ, called him out for talking shit about Master Thong on Rogan's podcast about his alleged betting against Faber.

Faber found this kid living/wrestling in the streets as a high schooler

You are describing Dillashaw like he was a homeless orphan fighting for scraps of bread when Faber rolled by in his limo and decided to give the kid a shot at life.

It is pathetic the way people called him a snake simply because they heard Conor say it.

At the end of the day, it's inconsequential to anyone whose name isn't Urijah Faber or TJ Dillashaw. This type of gym drama happens all the time in MMA. The only reason we pretend to care about this is because Conor told us to. It's unfortunate to see TJ's name dragged through the mud over this when other fighters - one of which is beloved on Sherdog - have left their gyms on much worse terms.

I don't care what Mcgregor said or didn't say, those things are irrelevant to me regarding what happened between Faber and TJ.

I'm merely posting in response to your interpretation of events that transpired between the two men.

well, plus it is fucking funny

You are describing Dillashaw like he was a homeless orphan fighting for scraps of bread when Faber rolled by in his limo and decided to give the kid a shot at life.

He's obviously being a tool about it.

I never understood why TAM was considered to be one of the best camps for the lighter weight classes. The majority of their fighters never seem to be making progress and seem lost when fighting someone who has subtleties of MMA down.
I'm a big fan of PVZ but she was outclassed by someone who is far more skilled(although I will recognize the age and experience difference) Waterson trains at a real camp and it shows in how she mixes in her karate with her ground game. Point is PVZ has not made much progess, beating a journeywoman and losing to top level fighters
In MMA especially in the lighter weight classes, your time at the top is limited as most fighters rely on their quickness. There was a reason why TJ was the first and only champion from TAM(Garbrandt Ko'd a fighter about to be released by the promotion,he's not that good) If I had a wife and a home in California(which must be expensive) I would do everything it took to stay one step ahead of everyone else. TJ is one of the few former champs still in immediate title contention in a sport where it's very difficult to regain a belt(look at Pettis, Weidman, RDA, Hendricks, the list goes on and on)
I think if TJ wasn't fighting so emotionally and distracted by all the TAM fallout he would have beaten Cruz, it is what it is
I think you are wrong.
If TAM is not successful, please show another gym that made so many top fighters? Just to name a few from the top of my mind: Urijah Faber (obviously), Danny Castillo, Joseph Benavidez, Chad Mendes, Cody Garbrandt, Paige VanZant, and yes (why not?) T.J. Dillashaw (he was formed and grew there, moved only after getting the belt).

By the way, his departure and the mess that ensued was not TAM's fault. It was the timing of it all, the TUF and mostly due to Conor's comment about TJ being a snake in the grass.

If TJ had any brains, he could have waited it out a little more, and not leave right after he got the belt and that particular episode of TUF came out. This is what blowed off and cost him a lot of fans and (as you mentioned), his belt.
In the process he lost a lot of friends (from TAM, for the way things went) and a lot of money as well.

I don't care what Mcgregor said or didn't say, those things are irrelevant to me regarding what happened between Faber and TJ.

I'm merely posting in response to your interpretation of events that transpired between the two men.
and I am pointing out that it is borderline homosexual to care this much about a relationship between two men.

I think you are wrong.
If TAM is not successful, please show another gym that made so many top fighters? Just to name a few from the top of my mind: Urijah Faber (obviously), Danny Castillo, Joseph Benavidez, Chad Mendes, Cody Garbrandt, Paige VanZant, and yes (why not?) T.J. Dillashaw (he was formed and grew there, moved only after getting the belt).

By the way, his departure and the mess that ensued was not TAM's fault. It was the timing of it all, the TUF and mostly due to Conor's comment about TJ being a snake in the grass.

If TJ had any brains, he could have waited it out a little more, and not leave right after he got the belt and that particular episode of TUF came out. This is what blowed off and cost him a lot of fans and (as you mentioned), his belt.
In the process he lost a lot of friends (from TAM, for the way things went) and a lot of money as well.

Most of the TAM guys still like TJ, I think it bothered Bucholz that TJ talked shit about Master Thong like that.

If Paige doesn't work out for you, how about Chad Mendes? How about Danny Castilo? Joseph Benevidez?

All of those can work interchangeably (yes that is a word).
So how about guys that fought for the belt multiple times? Yeah terrible camp

How many champions has Duane trained, not counting TJ because he inherited TJ when he was already a good fighter

Back