TJ = The GSP we were promised?

moreorless87

Straba
@plutonium
Reaction score
I couldn't help but think during this fight that Dillashaw has turned into the fighter we all hoped GSP would be around 06/07 before he turned out to be a pretty safe decision fighter for the majority of his career.

His gameplan vs Lineker was pretty much classic GSP but I think the difference was that he actually takes a few more risks plus indeed I think has more ability standing, GSP had a great jab and decent kicks from range but closer in was not nearly so effective.

TJ Dillashaw is Chad Mendes of UFC

That gnp kinda reminded me of Anderson's for some reason

I think TJ is a bigger version of DJ who is the GSP we were promised

Tj might be even better.

Cue TJ becoming the most hated fighter of GSP fans. ;)

Still I do think there might be some truth to it although he's also up against superior opposition than GSP faced for me, nobody close to Dom Cruz or arguably Barao either at WW in that era for me.

To me "enjoying the technical excellence of GSP" became a bit of a cliché, yeah the level of skill was always high and quite fun to watch but ultimately it was somebody trying to avoid as much risk as they possible could which limits the degree of really high level skill we can see. Dillashaws recent matches for me are a lot more entertaining, just as slick but more risks being taken and higher level skill being shown as a result.

TJ Dillashaw is Chad Mendes of UFC

Besides the hunting I don't really get the same impression, Mendes always seemed to have a bit of a try hard/small man complex about him where as Dillashaw reminds me much more of GSP's naivety.

TJ might be the Travis Fulton we did not see coming.

When I started to get into seriously watching the UFC, I was promised a motivated BJ.
Now I've learned to never believe promises.

All I know is I love watching him fight. TJ vs Cody is no 1 on my wishlist for 2017. I really hope fans will push for that fight.

It's a pleasure to watch him fight to be fair.

I'm a big TJ fan, but while I agree he might have more ability standing, his MMA wrestling is nowhere near the level of GSP's. Dillashaw's wrestling and top control are good, but not great. He can't impose it on most of the top guys in the division like GSP could. Lineker's striking translated better than I thought it would at BW, but TJ isn't the only guy in the division that can grapplefuck him. That's where he's weakest.

c350d60d20799f0e6958cf7f0c717037.gif

No.

Back