TJ isn't the next Cruz

JoshR86

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I really don't see how people keep making this comparison, why because TJ used great foot work, high volume/high pressure???

Cruz could never do what TJ did and that's TKO Barao, Cruz sacrifices a lot of power in his foot work, and just throws arm punches, While TJ was used superior footwork to create openings where can land big shots that ultimately put Barao away and then get out before Barao could counter, Cruz uses superior footwork to get out of harms way while trying to land as many useless strikes on u that look good on the score cards

Every Sambo based mma fighters are Fedors you know :icon_chee

TJ Committed and stopped him and came close to stopping him multiple times.

TJ vs Cruz would be amazing if it ever happened.

Dillashaw looked great and just renewed a dead division pretty much. I don't think he's as skilled as cruz all around but he is definitely looking good

Cruz barely won against Faber....And Mighty fucking Mouse.

Hasn't finished a fight since when?

Lol why is his name even being brought up?

Oh Sherdog.

The difference is Cruz is more elusive, he never attacks from the same angle twice, thus his style is more cardio exhausting (Faber dubbed it 'bouncing around like a weirdo'). Also Cruz cuts off the cage from a further range and is lightning quick, and able to counter-strike while literally running away. Also, Cruz's takedown is more dynamic and knows how to play the clock imo more intelligently than even GSP.

The difference is Cruz is more elusive, he never attacks from the same angle twice, thus his style is more cardio exhausting (Faber dubbed it 'bouncing around like a weirdo'). Also Cruz cuts off the cage from a further range and is lightning quick, and able to counter-strike while literally running away. Also, Cruz's takedown is more dynamic and knows how to play the clock imo more intelligently than even GSP.

You're giving Cruz too much credit as a fighter here...really...you are.

I'd pick Cruz if they ever fought, if Cruz was back to what he was before but I doubt he will coming off all those surgeries

Oh Sherdog.

Last I checked, Cruz won 50-45, 49-46 against faber and Mighty Mouse, and Mighty Mouse is a UFC champion & p4p top ten.

You mad?

Cruz can be as elusive as he wants. He has the exact same problem a lot of people have in that camp, refusal to commit to strikes means it's a punches in bunches type attack, but not Diaz-Like, where you turn up the pressure eventually, literally 30% shots over and over.

Last I checked, Cruz won 50-45, 49-46 against faber and Mighty Mouse, and Mighty Mouse is a UFC champion & p4p top ten.

You mad?

Cruz vs Faber was an absolute 48-47 affair and one judge got it right.

Watch the fights rather than fight finder them. And wow, Cruz beat a guy who has always needed to fight at Flyweight but had a lot of success at Bantamweight. Your argument is very compelling

You mad?

Lol @ throwing out some scorecard numbers, did you pull those from wikipedia.

Last I checked he hasn't fought since October of 2011, got knocked on his ass by both Faber and MM and resorted to wrestling both guys to win the fight, hasn't finished a fight since 2008 (unless you count in the one fight where he unintentionally caused a TKO by having Bowles punch on top of his head lol),and pulled out yet again against Barao.

I think you're mad son

Probably best thread to ask seems though I can't make threads.

When is Cruz coming back? Any updates at all? Or has he retired?

Lol @ throwing out some scorecard numbers, did you pull those from wikipedia.

Last I checked he hasn't fought since October of 2011, got knocked on his ass by both Faber and MM and resorted to wrestling both guys to win the fight, hasn't finished a fight since 2008 (unless you count in the one fight where he unintentionally caused a TKO by having Bowles punch on top of his head lol),and pulled out yet again against Barao.

I think you're mad son

I watched both fights and never missed a Cruz fight since his WEC debut(very disappointing one I must admit). Every round I was scoring the fight when he rematched Faber and fought MM. Faber and MM only won 1 round each, Cruz was able to stay busy and manipulate judges very well, especially against MM who is almost two classes smaller was completely shut down.
The only thing Im a little pissed off is that he held onto the belt for way too long after being injured, 365 days + 90days of booking should be the limit. Im still baffled what string did he pull to hold onto the belt after 3 years of inactivity.

Probably best thread to ask seems though I can't make threads.

When is Cruz coming back? Any updates at all? Or has he retired?

He's nursing a groin injury(pulled goin) that happened while preparing for unification bout against Barao and has been silent since then. According to him, it's hindering him from training kicks, and might take another couple of months, he never gave himself or anyone a deadline and is taking his time. I dont even think Cruz's camp or even his doctors can answer that question, he had three injuries, two career threatening and one of them was botched.

Oh Sherdog.

And TJ got stomped by Dodson and lost to (officially anyway) Assuncao.

TJ looked fantastic last night let why not celebrate that instead of bad mouthing Cruz

I don't know why people keep getting caught up on his skills and power. Dom is a master at keeping fighters guessing. TJ is in many ways the more skilled and dangerous fighter but the same is true for a ton of guys Dom has fought and he's made them all look confused and hesitant to engage. It's all about the speed, composure and broken rhythms; not the skills in themselves.

Plus he fought MM who's got quite a bit of speed advantage on TJ and while it caused him some problems it was also amazing watching Dom slip the vast majority of his lightning quick punches with inch sized head movement in close range. If he can do that to MM TJ would have some serious work cut out for him to make something significant stick and the absurd amount of mongoose like composure from Cruz is not the be underestimated there. I've been saying for the longest time that he would make Renan look painfully hesitant and slow and last night proved it in my mind. He'd do the same to TJ just with a slightly smaller margin and a bit more quantity in the puncher's chance. Bar a knockout he wins it 9/10.

Back