Tj Dillashaw vs James Toney (skill vs size question)

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Throw in Dillashaw, DJ, Cejudo, Borg, Garbrandt, Faber, IDC

This is a massive size advantage. And this is just a dumb hypothetical thread but...

When a fighter is so unskilled in MMA like toney (lets say for the sake of argument he is in as good as shape as he was for the Couture fight) and he is much bigger and skilled in one area...(boxing)

Would Dillashaw or DJ (throw in any FLYW or BW) submit James Toney in 2 minutes?

Kinda like asking if a 240 lb sherdogger would get his ass kicked by idk say Henry Cejudo.

PS- I am 6'2 180 lbs, have been in "boxing" for years. I consider myself in good shape and am a BJJ novice.
I have a feeling any single ufc flyweight in the UFC would most likely submit me in 1 round.
Now I of course (ego in check) feel like I hopefully wouldnt get KOed. But hell... I dont know how to check leg kicks properly. So basically. Im effed in the A.

plus this would probably happen

Erick+Silva+Body+Kicks+Matt+Brown+UFC+Fight+Night+Cincinnati.gif

Last edited:
Idk about DJ but TJ is an elite wrestler.

And if you've ever wrestled with an elite wrestler and you have 0 wrestling experience, you would know that they are getting you down.

Size doesn't matter. At all. They are definitely getting you down.

Once you push a big bag of potatoes you just let its momentum take care of the rest.

And if you've ever wrestled with an elite wrestler and you have 0 wrestling experience, you would know that they are getting you down.

haha. Thats how I see it in my head. Toney just falling over no matter who grabs his leg

two names I never thought I'd see together. Is this some kind of twisted BBC fantasy?

james toney is not a very large guy and he certainly doesn't weigh 240lb

i know he earned a title at HW, but you have to remember that he climbed up weight classes from MW because he got fat & boxing HWs at that time were like 215-220lbs

point is that TJ takes him down and strangles him with ease

You might as well ask if TJ can take down your 90 year old grandmother.

You MMA fans really get caught up in this James Toney MMA thing. The guy was morbidly obese, nearly 15 years past his best, and even more importantly, he was so badly brain damaged that they had to use subtitles for his promo.

Now, give me early 90s James 'Lights out' Toney and he sparks all your D level athletes.

Watch Fedor vs. Choi Hong Man.

Fedor, an elite Sambo practitioner, had tremendous difficulty taking Choi down, despite Choi having very little TDD. Both times Choi landed on top of him due to sheer size as Fedor was not able to control him. Size does matter.

Watch Fedor vs. Choi Hong Man.

Fedor, an elite Sambo practitioner, had tremendous difficulty taking Choi down, despite Choi having very little TDD. Both times Choi landed on top of him due to sheer size as Fedor was not able to control him. Size does matter.

That man was absolutely fricking Gigantic though lol.

You MMA fans really get caught up in this James Toney MMA thing. The guy was morbidly obese, nearly 15 years past his best, and even more importantly, he was so badly brain damaged that they had to use subtitles for his promo.

Now, give me early 90s James 'Lights out' Toney and he sparks all your D level athletes.

Go ahead take 90s James Toney and put him i there with the likes of current TJ, DJ, Cejudo, etc.
He probably still gets subbed with eas

That man was absolutely fricking Gigantic though lol.

I know lol, but I'm just saying. At some point the inertia alone makes it tough as fuck. HMC's got on top of Fedor just by being massive and free falling

james toney is not a very large guy and he certainly doesn't weigh 240lb

i know he earned a title at HW, but you have to remember that he climbed up weight classes from MW because he got fat & boxing HWs at that time were like 215-220lbs

point is that TJ takes him down and strangles him with ease
huh? ten years ago? The top guys in the 70s were often over 220, nevermind ten years ago.

I know lol, but I'm just saying. At some point the inertia alone makes it tough as fuck. HMC's got on top of Fedor just by being massive and free falling

Lol. Imagine Hong Man Choi just falling on you. Probably knock me out by falling on me.

You also have to consider the type of takedown that Fedor was going for though...

I think a wrestler with a good single leg or double leg would have gotten him down.

That's not Fedor's style of wrestling though.

He was trying to throw that man.

You also have to consider the type of takedown that Fedor was going for though...

I think a wrestler with a good single leg or double leg would have gotten him down.

That's not Fedor's style of wrestling though.

He was trying to throw that man.

Tru dat

Prime Toney in mma would be a better mark hunt imo.

Would be able to develop a better ground game to.

Dumb question. One side check kick would probably be enough to put one of these guys out coming from James Toney.

Back