TJ Dillashaw finishes Bar

What were the odds on TJ winning by 5th round stoppage specifically?
No doubt they would have been astronomical??

I wonder if it was one of those odds where a small bet would have made the person betting a rich man haha

or made the company close your account and never pay.

Given not only the odds, but the way it happened, absolutely. The way Dillashaw looked last night I feel like that performance is much more repeatable than say, Brooks vs. Chandler, or historically Serra vs. GSP.

Yes. It will be hard to top that but anything can happen in 1/2 year.

I like Brooks/Chandler as upset of the year. Hard to top TJ's fight though.

Odds wise it was bigger, but Brooks didn't dominate like TJ did, and TJ - Barao is a way bigger fight than Brooks/Chandler.

yep although as much as they tried to hype up barao, he was making peanuts bc no one really was that interested in seeing him fight anyway - maybe if he ran his mouth more or had a platform like TUF - its not like we value skills that much
Yeah, that part's a little depressing.

Definitely. People were saying that Dillashaw shouldn't even be fighting Barao because he didn't stand a chance, and they weren't crazy to say so either.

Then he goes in and dominates him over basically 5 rounds, which is extremely impressive. I'm glad he didn't knock Barao out in the first round as that would have left a lot of questions. Now there were none.

GSP vs Serra will probably hold that title for the rest of UFC history.
I still think that the fact GSP was a few years out of his prime whereas Barao clearly is in his prime years separates this for me.

Plus, Serra seemed to have "earned" the shot, whereas TJ Dillashaw didn't look like he "earned" his, despite his 1 recent loss being a terrible decision.

I still think that the fact GSP was a few years out of his prime whereas Barao clearly is in his prime years separates this for me.

Plus, Serra seemed to have "earned" the shot, whereas TJ Dillashaw didn't look like he "earned" his, despite his 1 recent loss being a terrible decision.

And if in correct TJ wasn't even supposed to be fighting Renan. Didn't TJ step in for an injured Assuncao?

And if in correct TJ wasn't even supposed to be fighting Renan. Didn't TJ step in for an injured Assuncao?
Assuncao got the first offer, yes, but he wasn't fully healthy, so he never signed on the fight.

TJ Dillashaw got the title shot because Barao recently beat Wineland and Faber, Cruz and Assuncao were too hurt to be ready to fight by UFC 173, and McDonald was coming off a recent loss where he got dominated to Faber (whom Barao had beaten just over a year ago).

That essentially means that 5 guys were higher priorities than TJ in terms of getting a title shot. 3 of those men lost to Barao with much better odds, bigger wins, and more prestige.

And yet TJ Dillashaw is the one to beat Barao in a fight that was seen as a "stay busy", "stat padding", or even a "tune up" fight for Barao.

It just goes to show you how crazy this sport is, and how crazy underestimated TJ Dillashaw was.

Nobody saw one of the best MMA strikers of all-time being dominated for essentially 20 minutes in striking losing via TKO the way he did. Nobody.

Normally saying "nobody" is hyperbole, but that's pretty much true here, and i's insane.

It just goes to show you how unpredictable MMA can be sometimes.

easily.
people are even comparing it to GSP/Serra 1

great fight.

was a bit sad to see barao dominated like that.

he'll be back better.

it was hard to watch! he had nothing for dillashaw.

both are very good fighters, not really much of a fan of either.

imo a worse beatdown than jones vs shogun and harder to watch.

its arguable the biggest upset of the UFC. GSP vs Serra was HUGE aswell tho. Close one tbh.....

Back