TJ’s GOATness - TBD

Way more respect for Cejudo, fighting a bigger guy and not giving a fuck. 1st belt defense and all. Mickey Mouse ran so quick from The Snake.

He’s currently doing everything he can to not defend his title. He should be stripped if he somehow wins and tries to move up to challenge for the FW title like he claims.

Way more respect for Cejudo, fighting a bigger guy and not giving a fuck. 1st belt defense and all. Mickey Mouse ran so quick from The Snake.

MM just wanted more money. He recognized the $$ potential for the matchup and wanted his proper cut, can’t knock him for that.

Cejudo on the other hand is fighting to keep his division alive and not have to move up.

You’re hailing Cejudo as the hero and MM as a runner when I’m pretty sure both men were doing the same thing - looking out for their own interest.

MM just wanted more money. He recognized the $$ potential for the matchup and wanted his proper cut, can’t knock him for that.

Cejudo on the other hand is fighting to keep his division alive and not have to move up.

You’re hailing Cejudo as the hero and MM as a runner when I’m pretty sure both men were doing the same thing - looking out for their own interest.

How much did MM want and how much was he offered by UFC?

To his credit:

1) He has never been properly finished.

Another sh** call by Herb. Can you imagine what Frankie’s record would look like if his fights got stopped every time he was in ^that^ much trouble? ... and why shouldn’t we compare TJ to Frankie in terms of ability to recover? Tj has shown time and again the same resilience and the fact remains that he has never been KO‘d which would support the claim that his chin is NOT cracked.

2) His loss against Cruz was as close a contest as you can get. Many people think TJ won. I’m not going to say he won but I will say that in a fight that close there really is no loser. Up to that fight, Cruz was arguably (and is still) considered by many the greatest BW ever. A decision loss that could have easily gone the other way, against the GOAT BW, cannot be considered a slight but rather a testament to just how good TJ is.

3) Assuncao decisioned TJ then three years later TJ decisioned Assuncao. Who did it better? Who would win today? Only TJ haters and/or Assuncao fans would say Assuncao. TJ has shown the ability to improve significantly with each passing year, possibly his greatest attribute. TJ > Assuncao.

TJ adopted and improved upon the style that made Cruz so successful. TJ has twice finished the only man to ever beat Cruz @BW. TJ has twice captured the title. TJ, may very well be the GOAT BW.

On the flip side:

1) There are those who argue that had Cody shown a little more composure that he would have beaten TJ. In both fights he was able to hurt TJ early and although very effective, Cody’s skillset is still quite limited when compared to other top tier BW’s.

2) As mentioned above, TJ gets rocked often enough. He has shown great resilience but he is also showing vulnerability.

3) If you look closely at TJ’s record, you’ll see the lack of consistency. Starting from the point of his UFC debut:

- Loss to Dodson.
- 4 straight wins against guys you’ve never heard of.
- Loss to Assuncao.
- 4 straight wins against two journeymen + two wins over a broken Barao but to be fair, TJ’s the one who broke him.
- Loss to Cruz.
- 4 straight wins, no doubt his most substantial block of work since the beginning of his career.

1 - 4 - 1 - 4 - 1 - ???

TJ’s impressive performances as of late have raised his stock so much so that many are granting him P4P/GOAT status and consider the contest with Cejudo a foregone conclusion. IMO Cejudo is a more than formidable opponent(especially considering the circumstances) and the outcome of this fight will provide us with the proper placement of TJ’s position among or not among the greats.

TLDR;
View attachment 505969

I am shocked by how alert he looked in the media he did today. TJ has got to be one of the most disciplined hardworking fighters on the roster. I think all of that bad PR he got leaving TAM has made him better now he just rolls with whatever trash talk his opponents throw at him. He isn't as sensitive as a lot of these other fighters anymore.

It's Sherdog. If TJ loses he is a bum and always was a bum. If he wins, well, he's WAY bigger than Cejudo so of course he should win and it doesn't add to his GOAT resume one bit. As if Cejudo, a gold medalist who beat MIGHTY MOUSE of all people is some kind of can.

TJ is as legit as it gets. The criticisms against him are stupid. Him being a "snake" for wanting to train at two different camps, which happens all the timein MMA, is one of the dumbest criticisms Ive ever witnessed on a forum filled with utter stupidity.

Seeing as how the most hated man ever on Sherdog, McGregor, is the one who labeled him the Snake in a totally off-hand remark I am amazed at how much traction that nickname has gotten. I guess Conor got inside a lot of guys' heads with that remark even though they try to pretend he's nothing to them.

To his credit:

Another sh** call by Herb. Can you imagine what Frankie’s record would look like if his fights got stopped every time he was in ^that^ much trouble? ... and why shouldn’t we compare TJ to Frankie in terms of ability to recover? Tj has shown time and again the same resilience and the fact remains that he has never been KO‘d which would support the claim that his chin is NOT cracked.

2) His loss against Cruz was as close a contest as you can get. Many people think TJ won. I’m not going to say he won but I will say that in a fight that close there really is no loser. Up to that fight, Cruz was arguably (and is still) considered by many the greatest BW ever. A decision loss that could have easily gone the other way, against the GOAT BW, cannot be considered a slight but rather a testament to just how good TJ is.

3) Assuncao decisioned TJ then three years later TJ decisioned Assuncao. Who did it better? Who would win today? Only TJ haters and/or Assuncao fans would say Assuncao. TJ has shown the ability to improve significantly with each passing year, possibly his greatest attribute. TJ > Assuncao.

TJ adopted and improved upon the style that made Cruz so successful. TJ has twice finished the only man to ever beat Cruz @BW. TJ has twice captured the title. TJ, may very well be the GOAT BW.

On the flip side:

1) There are those who argue that had Cody shown a little more composure that he would have beaten TJ. In both fights he was able to hurt TJ early and although very effective, Cody’s skillset is still quite limited when compared to other top tier BW’s.

2) As mentioned above, TJ gets rocked often enough. He has shown great resilience but he is also showing vulnerability.

3) If you look closely at TJ’s record, you’ll see the lack of consistency. Starting from the point of his UFC debut:

- Loss to Dodson.
- Loss to Assuncao.
- 4 straight wins against two journeymen + two wins over a broken Barao but to be fair, TJ’s the one who broke him.
- Loss to Cruz.
- 4 straight wins, no doubt his most substantial block of work since the beginning of his career.

1 - 4 - 1 - 4 - 1 - ???

TJ’s impressive performances as of late have raised his stock so much so that many are granting him P4P/GOAT status and consider the contest with Cejudo a foregone conclusion. IMO Cejudo is a more than formidable opponent(especially considering the circumstances) and the outcome of this fight will provide us with the proper placement of TJ’s position among or not among the greats.

TLDR;
View attachment 505969

Only champ I've ever seen who let two guys who've beaten him wait in the back of the line like they don't exist. No other champ gets away with that BS.

If he becomes a 3-division champ by beating Holloway and the guy who dethroned MM then he's the GOAT. That would be beyond crazy if he pulls it off. Let's see what happens this Sat first!

How much did MM want and how much was he offered by UFC?

IIRC he asked for 2mil when the fight was first brought up and when that was shut down he started making all the stipulations regarding if TJ missed weight. MM took on all comers brah, some of them twice. He is not scared of anyone. The man just wanted to get paid according to his worth which he never was.

IIRC he asked for 2mil when the fight was first brought up and when that was shut down he started making all the stipulations regarding if TJ missed weight. MM took on all comers brah, some of them twice. He is not scared of anyone. The man just wanted to get paid according to his worth which he never was.

So can you list, who in the UFC's history, gets paid $2 MILLION (or more). We know that McGregor for sure, but who else. This is a flat $2 million and not including PPV yet.

And what was MM highest paid fight? Sounded like he picked that high number just so he can get rejected by Dana and have an excuse for ducking TJ.

To his credit:

On the flip side:

- Loss to Dodson.
- Loss to Assuncao.
- Loss to Cruz.

1 - 4 - 1 - 4 - 1 - ???

TLDR;
View attachment 505969

How many title defenses does he have?

Didnt know you could be the greatest ever with that many.

So can you list, who in the UFC's history, gets paid $2 MILLION (or more). We know that McGregor for sure, but who else. This is a flat $2 million and not including PPV yet.

And what was MM highest paid fight? Sounded like he picked that high number just so he can get rejected by Dana and have an excuse for ducking TJ.

I could make that list and it would be about as long as a list of people who have accomplished as much as MM has.

The guy deserved to get paid.

How many title defenses does he have?

Didnt know you could be the greatest ever with that many.

Title defenses are an important factor yes but it isn’t the bottom line imo.

Two names come to mind when considering the GOAT BW:
1) Barao - TJ wiped the floor with, twice.
2) Cruz - Tj went neck and neck with and then went on to twice finish the only BW to ever beat Cruz.

He’s in the conversation without a doubt.

and I never said he was the GOAT, I said he may be. Did you stop reading half way through the OP? I even put TBD in the thread title.

To his credit:

On the flip side:

- Loss to Dodson.
- Loss to Assuncao.
- Loss to Cruz.

1 - 4 - 1 - 4 - 1 - ???

TLDR;
View attachment 505969

TJ is one of the most underrated guys in the UFC.

He is ahead of MM IMO if he decisively beats Cejudo.

TJ is one of the most underrated guys in the UFC.

He is ahead of MM IMO if he decisively beats Cejudo.

ChampChamp status is quite significant to me, funny how some people try to act like it’s no big deal. If TJ is successful on Saturday then I too will have him ahead of MM.

Two words:
Shoulder pads.
upload_2019-1-18_9-39-51.png
giphy.gif

To this day, I have never seen a more lame and cringeworthy act by a fighter than the day TJ went shirtless on a conveyor belt at an airport in front of his applauding team and hit pads.

<{clintugh}>

TAM be like

giphy.webp

I loved it

Back