Tito Ortiz Says Cris Cyborg Is The Reason Ronda Rousey Cuts To 135

to be fair it does seem suspect that ronda's 1st 7 fights were 145 or higher, she was undefeated at that weight, and then suddenly she drops to 135 when the next logical match up would have been her v. cyborg for the FW belt...what was her logic in dropping weight? the big fight was at 145 at the time...now things have changed....ronda is the champ so cyborg will have to play by her rules but back then it did seem very odd to many people...its not like theres a wealth of relevant female fights so why make the fight less likely to happen by the weight drop? i think its a fair arguement...i wouldnt want to fight cyborg and im a 215lb man

This. Ronda did drop to avoid Cyborg people can argue all they want but that's a fact pure and simple. People just take Ronda's side because she's the current bandwagon going and well lets face it unlike Cyborg she actually looks like a woman. Lets not forget Cyborg was happy to fight Gina Carano who was physically bigger than her so it's not like she's ever been scared to fight anyone.

I've said it in other threads Ronda doesn't want this fight, if they settle the weight issue, I a guarantee Ronda brings up something else, like she wants more money or VADA testing anything to delay having to fight Cyborg.

He is correct. Ronda fought her Olympic Judo career at 154 pounds, fought her MMA career at 145. It wasn't until she had to start considering the prospect of facing Cyborg that she moved down to 135.

Now she only eats 1 meal a day and starves herself to hide from the destruction that awaits her.

Nearly the largest LHW of all time, whose title reign consisted of beating natural 185er's while avoiding Randleman, Liddell, Belfort and others.

Nice try Tito.

Jones will make him proud,he's not only taking on 185'ers but only those approaching their 40's.

As for Ronda,the girl is so full of sh...She fights at 145,says she'll drop down because she doesn't want to fight Cyborg at that time and that she'll move up later and then calls her out at 135 acting all though lol

Great move,it's like Frankie calling out Bendo right now at 145 saying Bendo is scarred to fight him...

Last edited:
"It's official. Ronda Rousey did sign with the UFC. She's beautiful" White said.

Ya know, she was competeing at 154 lbs. in this picture. She is chubby at that weight.

135 is her ideal weight for MMA.

Tito making accusations that a champion is ducking. Did he really think nobody would notice the irony in that?

I think it's pretty clear at this point self reflection isn't something Tito does.

Tito says nothing relevant in the world of MMA.

Tito making accusations that a champion is ducking. Did he really think nobody would notice the irony in that?

Not to mention that Ortiz refused to fight Ken Shamrock at HW. He insisted Shamrock cut down to 205 if Shammy wanted the fight.

Now he's saying Cyborg can't cut.

Tito Ortiz = hypocrite

135er is Rousey's natural weight class - why should she fight up at a higher weight class while Cyborg makes drastic cuts to get to 145er herself? Cyborg stops juicing and she could make 135er too - but she doesn't want to lose that muscle mass because she likes using her brute strength advantage to ragdoll smaller fighters.

By the thread title I thought Tito was taking a shot at Rousey . . . Then I read the tweet as somehow that was a prop to Ronda. Only Tito can make a 2 line tweet that confusing. Reminded me of the confusing interview he had with Fedor. Almost cringe-worthy. And I really like Ortiz lol.

you n the guy above you literally have no reading comprehension skills at all.

For the amount Ronda/Cyborg is talked about its shocking that probably 1% know what actually happened.

1 year into her MMA career and at 4-0, Ronda said publicly that she wants to fight Cyborg, however she wants more experience and wants to be at her best when it happens (did people give Manuwa shit when he refused two UFC contracts as he wanted more experience?!)

Ronda said she would go down, fight Meisha Tate for the belt and then come back up to fight Cyborg for the 145 belt. Two months before that fight happend Cyborg tested positive. Ronda beat Tate and then Kaufman, she became the talk of the mma world and the UFC made a 135 division, all while Cyborg was banned (she still is).

In the year that Cyborg has been banned so many things have changed and Ronda is in the strong posistion. Cyborg needs this fight, Ronda doesnt. She has challengers - what does Cyborg have, who is she going to fight? Gomes and Coenen in Invicta? Neither of those fights are anywhere near as big as one with Ronda.

Fact of the matter is the UFC doesnt have a 140/145 division and Dana has said if Cyborg wants the fight then she needs to make that weight. You cant blame them for pushing for it at the only weight the UFC has a belt it! Especially when Cyborg has just been busted for PED's. She made 140 against Baszler and then decided to bulk up, Mike Dolce is the best nutritionist in the business and he believes she can make 135.

This. Ronda did drop to avoid Cyborg people can argue all they want but that's a fact pure and simple. People just take Ronda's side because she's the current bandwagon going and well lets face it unlike Cyborg she actually looks like a woman. Lets not forget Cyborg was happy to fight Gina Carano who was physically bigger than her so it's not like she's ever been scared to fight anyone.

I've said it in other threads Ronda doesn't want this fight, if they settle the weight issue, I a guarantee Ronda brings up something else, like she wants more money or VADA testing anything to delay having to fight Cyborg.

Ronda dropped to 135 for an immediate title shot. She couldn't get one at 145 because Cyborg was busted for another ~8 months at the time. If she stayed at 145, she would have fought a bunch of nobodies this year while she waited for Cyborg to get off suspension. Instead, she dropped to 135 and beat two of the best in that division easily.

145 has no top fighters besides Cyborg, Cyborg was on suspension. Why waste a year in a worthless division?

135er is Rousey's natural weight class - why should she fight up at a higher weight class while Cyborg makes drastic cuts to get to 145er herself? Cyborg stops juicing and she could make 135er too - but she doesn't want to lose that muscle mass because she likes using her brute strength advantage to ragdoll smaller fighters.

because she fought at 145? her career started there...then when talks of fighting Cyborg came up after some Ws, she moves down to 135.

Rousey is a good fighter, but, she'd be like Carano against Cyborg and get smashed.

I bet Tito wished he could cut to 185 to avoid Chuck? Especially with his best wins are over current MWs

He is correct. Ronda fought her Olympic Judo career at 154 pounds, fought her MMA career at 145. It wasn't until she had to start considering the prospect of facing Cyborg that she moved down to 135.

Now she only eats 1 meal a day and starves herself to hide from the destruction that awaits her.

Ronda fought her Judo career at that weight as the next weight down was too far to cut for her then, she was the smallest girl in her weight category.

Ronda does not struggle to make weight at all, she cuts 10 pounds to get to 135. She feels best there - she has arthritis in her knees and the first time she went to 135 said it felt the best it ever has.

She cuts to 135 so she wont look like this
xlarge.jpg

This picture kills me every single time I see it.

She had Chris Cyborg as her end goal before the ever had her first amatuer fight. To make the most money, bring atttention to WMMA and lobby for women in the UFC, she chose not to make a straight bee-line for Cyborg. Before Cyborg had her fight with Hiroko Yamanaka, the Rousey Camp made the decision to drop to 135 and challenge Miesha Tate for the Batam Weight belt. Then being the Bantam Weight Champion she could instegate a Superfight with the Feather Weight Champion, Christiane "Cyborg" Santos.

Now if I may speculate. Behind closed doors with Zuffa, it could have even been in the plans for Strikeforce to be shut-down by then and this be a UFC PPV event. Rousey could have been told to slow down and not challenge Cyborg until that happened. I'm sure that Zuffa, working on a FOX deal, did not want Showtime to have the superfight between the two. But that is just confecture.

Rousey dropped to 135 to get the bantam weight belt and then challenge the featherwight champion to a superfight. That I do know. How it all was planned to happen back in the fall of 2011, whether it be in Strikeforce or the UFC, I can only speculate.

BTW, she never said that she only eats once a day, rather one meal a day. I am 80% raw vegan with majorily green smoothies. I can go along time without eating anything most anyone else would consider a meal and I am over well over 3000 calories a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back