Tito Ortiz rooting for Jones to break his Record?

Doesn't matter, Jones has been a better champion for awhile anyways.

But Tito beat Vitor and Mezger anyway and there's no guarantee he would have lost to those other guys.

Mezger and him are split, and that split decision win over Vitor was a gift in many people's eyes... besides the fact that it was a split decision.

The main point you're trying to skirt around, is that when you compare the records, Chuck's "run" of opponents was better than Tito's title defences at the time.

And sure, there's no guarantee that Chuck's opponents would have beaten Tito (I said "might" in my post)...

...There's no excuse that the #1 contender is beating better opponents than the champion himself - other than this Barao/Cruz situation.

Never mind the fact that they should have just fought immediately in the first place, but Tito was able to duck him for the entire 2 years. It was only after Couture made Liddell look human that Tito got the guts to finally face him (plus, there was no one else at the top, and he couldn't convince Dana to let him beat Ken Shamrock a 4th time)

Jones has the benefited fro all the years of fighting knowledge build up by those same fighters he smashed. Please put it into context.

Context is important, but Tito wasn't even the best during his own era (or even within his own organization). His LHW record is fairly meaningless considering that the best LHWs in the world were split between organizations.

Jon Jones is the first fighter to be the undisputed best LHW in a LONG time, regardless of organization. He may break Tito's record tonight but as far as LHWs go he was already a more accomplished LHW after he beat Rashad (probably sooner).

Let's not forget that Tito was finished twice before he ever captured the LHW strap.

It gets worse when you compare him to Chuck's record at the time.

Tito was NEVER champ IMO. Technically he was, but the champ is SUPPOSED to be the best, and he was NOT the best when he was champ. While he was "defending" his title against those guys you mentioned, Chuck Liddell beat these guys:

Jeff Monson (6-2 at the time)
Kevin Randeman (9-4)
Guy Mezger (28-11-2)
Bustamante (undefeated 7-0-1 at the time)
Suloev (13-2)
Vitor (10-2)
Babalu (20-4)

Tito essentially ducked Chuck with excuses, while Chuck eliminated the real contenders himself.

ANY of those guys might have beat Tito at the time if they had a chance, but Chuck kept knocking them off for Tito.

This, couldn't have said it any better. It's no wonder they use to call Liddell Tito's bodyguard.

lol tito is amazing. He is the only one who holds any credence to his record. Look at those HUGE names he fought off to keep that title:
Yuki Kondo
Vlad matyushenko
evan tanner
48 year old Ken Shamrock
elvis sinosic

haters gun' hate

Tito Ortiz was champion because he came along at the right time. He'd be an average fighter (at best) today.

tito was strong as an ox, had excellent defensive jits and a sick chin. That was enough to be champion in those days. Today, idk he would be what he has been in recent years, a high level fighter that can survive in the cage with the elite fighters but always come up short.

I cant believe people dont believe Tito. He has done so much for all of us. I would not be here today if it wasnt for Tito.

I cant believe people dont believe Tito. He has done so much for all of us. I would not be here today if it wasnt for Tito.

Why do some people forsake the Lord? Tito still loves us even if we chose to reject He who birthed us from the chasm of His cracked skull.

Really is hard to believe. Not that Tito's record meant much both Chuck and Shamrock who had 4 defenses but had beat Tito were considered better than Tito.

Tito is saying whatever needs to be said to bring attention to himself.

I still chuckle sometimes when Tito boasts about his record. Dude was beating up average MW. Jones has smashed the likes of Bonnar, Bader, Shogun, Vitor, Vladdy, Rashad, Rampage, etc

Dunno why you brought up Bader, Vitor, Vladdy,... Tito beat those guys too. For that matter, I think he'd beat Bonnar.

Aside from that, yes, Jones is better.

Back