Tito Ortiz Buries The Hatchet with Chuck Liddell

Did you enjoy their rivalry?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
usa_today_11244519.0.jpg

Tito Ortiz believes he no longer has bad blood with his biggest rival. The former UFC light heavyweight champion Ortiz (20-12-1) was involved in one of the biggest rivalries in the sport’s history with another former 205-pound champ, Chuck Liddell. The former friends turned enemies engaged in three battles, with Liddell emerging victorious in two of them, and Ortiz getting his revenge over 10 years later.

Their second battle, at UFC 66, proved to be a pivotal moment in the organization, as they cracked over 1 million pay-per-view buys for the first time in MMA history. The rivalry was real, but after ESPN’s “30 for 30: Chuck & Tito” aired on Oct. 15, highlighting his feud with Liddell, Ortiz can finally say the beef is squashed.

But Ortiz believes UFC president Dana White had a little bit to do with why the story wasn’t fully portrayed the way he thought it should be.

“I think our old-school beef is settled, and I think the ’30 for 30′ showed that because Chuck was able to say the truth,” Liddell told MMA Junkie. “A lot of it got cut out of the ’30 for 30.’ They had 19 edits. Dana gave Chuck a call saying, ‘What the hell did you do? Why this?’ and they actually had the right to go in and kind of alter what the story truly was, but it made me happy because there were so many people behind the camera who told the truth, and it’s everything I’ve always been saying.

“A lot of fans don’t know that, but it made me happy because the truth was told and the truth was said, and I got first-hand of it from people who were on the film, itself.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/11/tito-ortiz-chuck-liddell-beef-squashed-combate-americas

The rivalry got my attention and ever since then I was a huge ufc fan, and then mma as a whole.

But the giant domed illiterate goof would never have buried the hatchet if he didnt get the chance to fight the vegetable version of chuck.

It was an okay rivalry but not one of the best. Tito ducked chuck for years and then Liddell beat the fuck out of him twice (when it actually mattered), and it produced some of the most cringe-worthy trash talk in MMA history, like when Tito called Chuck the "Snow Man" instead of the "Ice Man", because he had a gut.

Chuck Liddell still reminds me of Legion of Doom lol

8cb9a77dd5453558b032e15edaf54d11.jpg

I always knew about the UFC, but started really following it around the time of their first fight. I point to Chuch as the guy who really got me into this sport, and he's one of my favorite fighters ever. Guess I have to give some credit to Tito, too<{clintugh}><{titihmm}>

Was not so involved at the time, even though I have the whole VHS tapes. At the time, however, I did not really understand from the original English comments what it was all about. My English was not that good back then. And now I didn´t have a recorder anymore.
For me, Tito always tried to avoid Chuck. I liked the Iceman in his prime significantly more than loudmouth Tito.
I think it's alright if Tito got his late revenge, but personally the fight was just 5-8 years late. And he would probably have ended like the first two.
Find it stupid when grandpas beat each other.

Love both these guys.

This is still one of my favorite highlights.
DevotedAgonizingAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Chuck Liddell, one of the best heavyweights of the night! You had a great career, I wanna tell me what you saw what I saw me... On the screen.

The rivalry got my attention and ever since then I was a huge ufc fan, and then mma as a whole.

But the giant domed illiterate goof would never have buried the hatchet if he didnt get the chance to fight the vegetable version of chuck.
upload_2019-11-8_10-3-12.png

It was an okay rivalry but not one of the best. Tito ducked chuck for years and then Liddell beat the fuck out of him twice (when it actually mattered), and it produced some of the most cringe-worthy trash talk in MMA history, like when Tito called Chuck the "Snow Man" instead of the "Ice Man", because he had a gut.
Wish Tito did not get to fight Vegetable-Chuck, that fight meant nothing.

But back in their primes, Chuck humiliated Titi.

X 2.

I enjoyed seeing Tito get his ass kicked. I also enjoyed him attempting to talk trash to Chuck and then turning into a stuttering buffoon when Chuck got in the cage after a few of his fights.

Tito was always scared of Chuck. He used them being "friends" as an excuse to not fight him. They both knew what would happen.

I guess it depends on what side of that argument you're on, but I tend to side with Chuck. According to him, they weren't friends. They trained together because they had the same manager, but they were acquaintances at best. They never did anything together besides train.

I have guys I work with that I'm friendly with, but we've never hung out outside of work, and if they came at me the wrong way they might catch a bitch slap. I can relate.

The beef is only over because Tito probably stopped talking shit, and now Chuck knows he's too old to do anything about it.

Espn+ has the 30 for 30 library. Search function is a bit shit though.

It really is. When I got it at first I couldn't find replays for a solid 5-10 minutes. It's a bit better now. They still need to have related content up on the side when you're viewing instead of every other sport known to man.

It’s dumbfounding how hard it was to find this episode even when it first came out...
I'm a big 30 for 30 fan, and trying to locate which episode you have in mind is clunky

Back