Media Title defences be damned, Khabib is the GOAT because he's the BEST to ever do it. (Long Read)

The nature of the GOAT discussion is that it is subjective. Okamoto is being clear about what he is considering.

That said, I don't know that according to his criterion Khabib should be the goat. Top of my head, Cejudo's back to back victories over MM, TJ, Moraes and Cruz is p4p a better stretch than Khabib's (Conor-Poirier-Gaethje)
Not even close. Cejudo arguably lost to MM, TJ was fighting 125 and looked like death, Moraes is a good win, but it came with adversity. Cruz hadn’t won a fight in 4-5 years before facing Cejudo.
Khabib completely dominated 3 guys who were all ranked among p4p best fighters in the world in that exact moment. No one has done anything similar.

Not even close. Cejudo arguably lost to MM, TJ was fighting 125 and looked like death, Moraes is a good win, but it came with adversity. Cruz hadn’t won a fight in 4-5 years before facing Cejudo.
Khabib completely dominated 3 guys who were all ranked among p4p best fighters in the world in that exact moment. No one has done anything similar.
Exactly. Khabib not only DESTROYED three p4p of the best fighters in a row, but he destroyed them under ridiculously high stakes, high pressure scenarios.

Okamoto's main point here is that Khabib may not have the most names on his resume, but he's the most dominant, and the best fighter out of the goat candidates.

Last edited:
Similar to how Ali has maybe the greatest record in boxing when it comes to names, but is a top 10 guy P4P.
Anyways, still favor a few guys over Khabib.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/30198700/is-khabib-nurmagomedov-mma-greatest-all

Okamoto
: I hear you on the "longevity at the top" argument. It's a good argument. But at the end of the day, I'm comfortable with it not being the final measuring stick of greatness. Not all title defenses are created equal, after all.

*Goes on about the other goats losing, decisioning or defeating past their prime legends*

Okamoto:
You said something before, that Nurmagomedov's run of submitting and dominating Conor McGregor, Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje in the manner in which he did might be the best three-fight stretch ever. I'll go one step further: It is the greatest three-fight stretch ever. And just because Nurmagomedov is deciding to walk away at the top, in his prime, when he could do more, I won't let that be the reason I don't call this guy what he is -- and that's the greatest to ever do it.

9zh45cbpmh961.jpg

4zutzy.jpg

Only a Hw can be considered true GOAT. Most terrible HW can ko all the lower classes pretty easy.

Like Sugar Ray Robison is considered the GOAT in boxing?
<{cruzshake}>

And some consider joe louis and Ali goat.... Like I said HW destroys all weight classes below.

We live in reality not what if.

And some consider joe louis and Ali goat.... Like I said HW destroys all weight classes below.

We live in reality not what if.
SRR is fairly unanimously considered the boxing GOAT. On top of most prolific lists.

SRR is fairly unanimously considered the boxing GOAT. On top of most prolific lists.

It doesn't change the fact though that the worst HW would ko him.

I'd say he's goat for his weightclass for sure.

Conor was coming off one of the best title finishes in UFC history before Khabib took his soul.

Make no mention of prime RDA.
Conor was coming off a 2 year layoff in MMA and has a losing record at lightweight. So you want to say RDA . So sweet 3 elite wins , not GOAT potential

Conor was coming off a 2 year layoff in MMA and has a losing record at lightweight. So you want to say RDA . So sweet 3 elite wins , not GOAT potential
So Conor getting throttled by Khabib in his next fight after taking double champ status by completely destroying Alvarez is not an elite win?

Let me ask you, as a Fedor fan, what do you consider to be his elite wins?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Imagine if that was Chandler in there with him. RIP Khabib

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Imagine if that was Chandler in there with him. RIP Khabib
Imagine if you actually had good gifs you could use against Khabib instead of this rubbish... like him getting KO'ed by an old man who was two weight divisions below him?<45>

1bfa8a249052223b89ab19c8307ffe2e1ed9f300_hq.gif

So Conor getting throttled by Khabib in his next fight after taking double champ status by completely destroying Alvarez is not an elite win?

Let me ask you, as a Fedor fan, what do you consider to be his elite wins?
I don't know what's so hard to understand about Conor being off for 2 years and getting his brain scrambled in a boxing match in the meantime. Nobody was out there saying Cerrone was a great win because he best X fighter in 2017.

The nature of the GOAT discussion is that it is subjective. Okamoto is being clear about what he is considering.

That said, I don't know that according to his criterion Khabib should be the goat. Top of my head, Cejudo's back to back victories over MM, TJ, Moraes and Cruz is p4p a better stretch than Khabib's (Conor-Poirier-Gaethje)
You might want to take the MM “Win” off that list since it was the clearest example of judges ignoring the scoring criteria. It was possibly the worst title fight robbery this side of Machida vs Shogun 1

That's arguable. He decisioned MM, he beat a weight depleted TJ, a Moraes who was fighting for a vacant title and a washed Cruz.

Also, Triple C's 16-2 record is not nearly as impressive as 29-0.
you're dismissing his argument in favor of Khabib, i can do that to

He beat an overrated, limited Conor
A top 5 LW in Poirier who got a titleshot over beating a FW
And Justin Gaethje

see i can do that stupid shit too

Back