Media Title defences be damned, Khabib is the GOAT because he's the BEST to ever do it. (Long Read)

hbombfromhell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If God of War decided to fight in the UFC but didn't he want to stay long, would he still not be God of War?

From top to bottom, he ran over his competition with his opponents rarely even having a moment in his entire career.

Interesting how many people harp on title defences when in reality Khabib is tied for the longest winning streak in UFC history other than the two ped cheats above him. He is also tied for the title defence record in the LW (hardest, most competitive) division. The UFC just didn't gift him a TS after one fight like guys like GSP. He had to win 10.

9zh45cbpmh961.jpg

We saw the others break, get finished, bleed and even cheat.

4zutzy.jpg

Khabib was also the only candidate to fight through the USADA era without a blip, 29 fights without a scratch.

The only GOAT candidate to finish and destroy 3 top 10 p4p opponents consecutively.

The most skilled and dominant (best) fighter who is the only person to finish and COMPLETEY DESTROY this level of competition 3 times consecutively.

Khabib scorched the earth with the wrestler that gave Jordan Burroughs hell, and had fists of fury that ended Tony Ferguson in the fight prior. He was said to have been put on this earth to beat Khabib with his skill set. Khabib did this months after his father died to honor his death in one of the highest pressure fights ever.

NegligibleUnfoldedCreature-size_restricted.gif

Justin p4p #8 after taking Fergs soul on an absolute tear
https://en.mmation.com/ufc-rankings-september-2-2020/

Khabib ran through a surging Poirer like a knife through butter. The UAE arena's cool system was not working properly and Dustin was slippery as hell.

"I can't get this guy off me!" Poirer said to his coaches between rounds

Dustin p4p #8 after crushing Holloway and on an absolute tear
View attachment 838327

L6psqsN.gif

Conor did fookin nothin.

The biggest MMA and one of the highest pressure fights ever, Khabib's now deceased father and people were insulted and Khabib came for revenge that night and took Conor's soul, beating him down everywhere even with the referee on Conor's side.

TidyMelodicJanenschia-max-1mb.gif

Conor p4p #2 after smashing Alvarez and the p4p #2 in the world until the Khabib fight
https://www.mma-stats.com/rankings/2018-09-12

Your GOAT, ladies and gentlemen.

3ba51f86fa146438ad5f3b54165d4d02.gif

Best Chin, Fight IQ, Best under pressure, God tier cardio and pace, Best Wrestling, Best Grappling
Hart to hit awkward striking that compliments his wrestling and grappling perfectly
Sambo champion, Judo and Pankration dojo master, perfectly blended into the ultimate MMA fighter.

The most dominant (best) ever

giphy.gif

Edit: I was right.

Biggest GOAT poll ever conducted recently (100 times larger than Sherdog's) with 500 k votes

20210322_225904-jpg.842093

Last edited:
The nature of the GOAT discussion is that it is subjective. Okamoto is being clear about what he is considering.

That said, I don't know that according to his criterion Khabib should be the goat. Top of my head, Cejudo's back to back victories over MM, TJ, Moraes and Cruz is p4p a better stretch than Khabib's (Conor-Poirier-Gaethje)

I find when people talk about Khabib's resume, they really over exagerrate the talent level of Gaethje, I like him, he's a solid fighter but 10 years from now I don't think we'd all be talking about him being one of the solid wins to define if someone is GOAT or not.

If we're talking about Gaethje in a seperate convo that doesn't include Khabib, most people would say he's a great fighter but definitely beatable.

The nature of the GOAT discussion is that it is subjective. Okamoto is being clear about what he is considering.

That said, I don't know that according to his criterion Khabib should be the goat. Top of my head, Cejudo's back to back victories over MM, TJ, Moraes and Cruz is p4p a better stretch than Khabib's (Conor-Poirier-Gaethje)

That's arguable. He decisioned MM, he beat a weight depleted TJ, a Moraes who was fighting for a vacant title and a washed Cruz.

Also, Triple C's 16-2 record is not nearly as impressive as 29-0.

Dustin crushed Holloway and made it to #8 p4p in the fight before Khabib
Conor devastated Eddie and become #2 p4p to become double champ in the fight before Khabib?
Gaethje took Fergusons souls and became the #10 p4p in the fight before Khabib

Khabib destroyed all of them, consecutively, with the highest pressure on him imaginable with the Conor fight, him disrespecting his father, with the UFC refs against him, with his father dying and him having to honot his fathers death walking down Gaethje, who many said was his worst stylistic matchup in the division.

Who else ragdolled Prime RDA?

cGMmJyB.gif

ThriftyFatalDrake-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
So I guess Khamzat is the goat since he was more dominant in his UFC career than Khabib, since that apparently means more than years and years of extra time as being the champ.
Did Khamzat have a 29-0 record?

Did he have the longest UFC win streak barring PED cheats?

Did he defeat 3 top 10 p4p fighters in a row?

That's arguable. He decisioned MM, he beat a weight depleted TJ, a Moraes who was fighting for a vacant title and a washed Cruz.

Also, Triple C's 15-2 record is not nearly as impressive as 29-0.

Khabib decisioned Iaquinta (lol), beat Conor who is 0.500 fighter above 145, beat Dustin who has lost plenty of times and Gaethje who looked like he never heard of BJJ before. (I do not think any of the things I just wrote, just wanted to show how easy it is to play your game of downplaying opponents).

Obviously 29-0 is more impressive than 15-2, no argument there.

Last edited:
Khabib decisioned Iaquinta (lol), beat Conor who is 0.500 fighter above 145, beat Dustin who has lost plenty before and Gaethje who looked like he never heard of BJJ before. (I do not think any of the things I just wrote, just wanted to show how easy it is to play your game of downplaying opponents).

Obviously 29-0 is more impressive than 15-2, no argument there.
Fair enough, but Conor was coming off the Eddie title win when he fought Khabib and was 1-0 at LW, on top of the world, Dustin was on a five fight win streak before losing to Khabib, and D1 Gaethje has never been held down by anyone in the UFC and Khabib destroyed him. He was the alleged nightmare stylistic matchup.

Okomoto's main point was that these guys were all in their physical prime and 3 top 10 p4p fighters and Khabib completely destroyed them and made them look like bums. The only man to ever finish 3 top 10 p4p consecutively.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but Conor was coming off the Eddie title win when he fought Khabib and was 1-0 at LW, Dustin was on a five fight win streak before losing to Khabib, and D1 Gaethje has never been held down by anyone in the UFC and Khabib destroyed him (countering the game).

Okomoto's main point was that these guys were all in their physical prime and 3 top 10 p4p fighters.

Sure, but so were Cejudo's final opponents (except Cruz).

Cejudo lost to DJ, and had his leg obliterated by Moraes. If sheer dominance is the metric then Khabib is the undeniable GOAT. And honestly, there is a case to be made that dominance is more important than longevity.

Fair enough, but Conor was coming off the Eddie title win when he fought Khabib and was 1-0 at LW, on top of the world, Dustin was on a five fight win streak before losing to Khabib, and D1 Gaethje has never been held down by anyone in the UFC and Khabib destroyed him. He was the alleged nightmare stylistic matchup.

Okomoto's main point was that these guys were all in their physical prime and 3 top 10 p4p fighters.
You guys are having an insightful discussion. Kudos to both of you.

MMA and combat sports are pretty primitive in their stats. I know wins and losses don't always show the true quality of a fighter (due to inactivity, shortness of the "prime" window), but I think something like "quality of opponent" (QOO) metric based on the winning% of that opponent at the time of the fight might be an interesting metric.

This way, you could account for beating a scrub vs a good fighter with decent record, or beating BJ Penn 15 years ago and beating BJ Penn now.

Cejudo lost to DJ, and had his leg obliterated by Moraes. If sheer dominance is the metric then Khabib is the undeniable GOAT. And honestly, there is a case to be made that dominance is more important than longevity.

Your first sentence is nonsense. The second one I completely agree with. The third is subjective so if that's what you think, more power to you.

I agree but with the caveat that to my eyes Mighty mouse should’ve gotten the decision in the rematch. Making that run just a little less impressive

Back