News Titan FC champ suffers stroke, career-ending paralysis after extreme weight cut.

Nah literally just have them step on the scale right before they enter the cage and actually fight at that weight, the whole process is basically ported over from boxing and makes no sense really the 10 point per round and judges that are clueless and the subjective random scoring from top to bottom it's dumb af

not only does boxing have extreme weight cuts of their own, A-side fighters have enforced hydration limits on their opponents, one recent example being Canelo forcing a hydration clause on Kovalev.
There are solutions out there, but anything boxing does regarding weight cutting and hydration is not one of them.

One FC's last few weigh-ins & hydration tests were shown live on YouTube.
Only the final one, not the ones earlier in the week, which would tell you more than the final one.

They really need to make big changes, major mma orgs, and adopt the ONE model (It's One that does the blood/water tests, right?) and ban a lot of cutting. Our lungs, for example, are 70% water. What happens to your lungs when you deprive your body of as much water as you can? Scale that out to any organ, not just the brain, and the damage has to be incredible.

In spite of constant praise from Joe Rogan based on anecdotal evidence, ONE’s model is still unproven. See my posts above.

Nah literally just have them step on the scale right before they enter the cage and actually fight at that weight, the whole process is basically ported over from boxing and makes no sense really the 10 point per round and judges that are clueless and the subjective random scoring from top to bottom it's dumb af
What happens if someone misses weight? You just gonna cancel the fight at the last second?

He had to cut more the 13 lbs thats the "cut" not what he walks around at to 135

As someone who was nearly flatlined from acute kidney/liver failure, the idea of extreme weight cutting absolutely terrifies me

I hope this poor guy's paralysis is only temporary and he can eventually make a full recovery
What was the cause if you don't mind?

What was the cause if you don't mind?
I was self-detoxing from alcohol and eating ~20-30 over the counter sleeping pills a day. The alcohol certainly compromised my organs over time (I'd been a hard drinker for about 7 years, in and out of detox/rehab the last 2) but the acetaminophen from the pills delivered the knockout blow. The crazy thing was that there were no warning signs; I was on day 4 of the detox and starting to feel better when I abruptly woke up at like 3am and started vomiting blood

This weight cutting shit needs to stop, but who’s to say what should be acceptable. Couple that with the fact that it would be hard to enforce that, it’s a tough situation.

13.4lb of water is a fuck ton, that doesn't even factor in his weight cut from diet, which was probably another 10-15 pounds.

Yeah, people constantly use the term "cut" interchangeably to refer to weight loss over their duration of a camp and dehydration before weigh ins.

Cutting that much water the day before weigh ins for a guy his size, is a lot, especially considering that he probably came into fight week drained to begin with.

What else has to happen for MMA organizations to ban this sh*t?
It's falsifying the picture of the actual p4p best fighters, makes them perform worse and (most importantly) is just dangerous for the fighters health.
It's really a sad joke at this point.

Hopefully the poor guy recovers as good as possible..

I was self-detoxing from alcohol and eating ~20-30 over the counter sleeping pills a day. The alcohol certainly compromised my organs over time (I'd been a hard drinker for about 7 years, in and out of detox/rehab the last 2) but the acetaminophen from the pills delivered the knockout blow. The crazy thing was that there were no warning signs; I was on day 4 of the detox and starting to feel better when I abruptly woke up at like 3am and started vomiting blood
Peace and love brother, strength through frailty.

This weight cutting shit needs to stop, but who’s to say what should be acceptable. Couple that with the fact that it would be hard to enforce that, it’s a tough situation.
Pretty much. Enforcing these idealistic standards in practice hurts both the organization's sales and the fighters that get pulled from their bouts.

We should still strive for a "best case scenario" but it's not a simple fix.

It's more like a complete renovation to change how weight cutting is sanctioned stateside

What happens if someone misses weight? You just gonna cancel the fight at the last second?
you could increase the purse penalty for missing weight, could also do a pre-weigh the day before similar to the official and then ceremonial they do now, I don't see that being much different then how it's handled now

Where in the OP does it say the weight cut caused the stroke?

It says he cut weight, lost a fight (likely received significant strikes in the process) then had the tragic stroke and paralysis...?

I'm not saying dehydrating is fine and healthy, and I'm not a doctor maybe the cut did contribute to the stroke, but neither the OP nor any of the replies are giving any evidence of this

you could increase the purse penalty for missing weight, could also do a pre-weigh the day before similar to the official and then ceremonial they do now, I don't see that being much different then how it's handled now
So in other words, you want it like how it is now, but have another weigh in right before the fight? I don't see how that changes anything. Financial penalties don't seem to be doing shit either. Getting the win bonus and victory is worth it most of the time.

So in other words, you want it like how it is now, but have another weigh in right before the fight? I don't see how that changes anything. Financial penalties don't seem to be doing shit either. Getting the win bonus and victory is worth it most of the time.
what? Guys fighting at the same weight in the cage would change a lot theoretically as the system currently creates a weight disparity during the fight and leads to weight cutting health problems which is the context of this thread, and most the time guys are on weight finiancial penalties notwithstanding

Back