News Titan FC champ suffers stroke, career-ending paralysis after extreme weight cut.

Insane - weight cutting craziness. Everyone pushes their bodies to the limit to weigh in for a day then both arrive back at a similar weight as they would have prior to cutting, effectively rendering the process moot.

Really need to be looked at either moving up weight by same day weigh ins and hydration tests and/or gradual weight cut and hydration tests for a day before weigh in like One FC
One fc is actually really shady about the weight cuts. They privately weigh people and no commission actually oversees the specific gravity hydration testing

That stroke hit my mom four years ago. Half of her body is paralyzed and her mental capacity is severely altered. It's fucking terrible man. And this kid was so young. I don't think he will live unassisted ever again... Hopefully I'm wrong

Ufc forum?
It's about weight cutting in general with that fighter used as an example about what can happen with extreme weight cuts.
It's very relevant to UFC where people cut way more. I think Faber - who fights at the same weight class - cut 24 lbs for one of his fights

This is kinda bro-science (?) but yeah it’s more dangerous at lower weight classes due to percentage to the whole body or something.

That’s why I think at lower weight if the cut is already tough you shouldn’t move down in general.

One fc is actually really shady about the weight cuts. They privately weigh people and no commission actually oversees the specific gravity hydration testing
One FC's last few weigh-ins & hydration tests were shown live on YouTube.

One FC's last few weigh-ins & hydration tests were shown live on YouTube.
That's actually great news. A step towards being more legitimate and making the UFC have some competition

Pretty small cut to emphasize it being extreme or the weight cut being responsible for the stroke at all

Obviously any sort of dehydration makes the brain more vulnerable but it sounds like maybe something else was going on with this guy

I suppose perhaps it could have been done poorly

Fuck.

That's not even alot of weight..poor guy, wish him the best.

13.4lb of water is a fuck ton, that doesn't even factor in his weight cut from diet, which was probably another 10-15 pounds.

13.4lb of water is a fuck ton, that doesn't even factor in his weight cut from diet, which was probably another 10-15 pounds.

My point being that literally every UFC fighter is cutting more than that before every fight I'd bet. We've seen some pretty monstrous weight cuts in MMA, Granted not all water weight and not a few hours before a fight.

either way it's a damn shame, gotta feel for the guy, just trying to live his dream.

There should be height limits for the lower weight classes. I don't know how tall this guy is, but there are guys who are like 5'10"-5'11" cutting down to 135 and there's no way that's not damaging to the body.

No one taller than 5'8" should be cutting to 135.

They really need to make big changes, major mma orgs, and adopt the ONE model (It's One that does the blood/water tests, right?) and ban a lot of cutting. Our lungs, for example, are 70% water. What happens to your lungs when you deprive your body of as much water as you can? Scale that out to any organ, not just the brain, and the damage has to be incredible.

Strokes suck. Must have been close to not surviving too suffer that much negative effects. Especially that young. Had one myself approximately 5 years ago. Took a long time to be able to speak properly again . Hopefully despite the diagnosis there is hope for his brain to reconnect new pathways.
Glad to hear of your recovery!

Strokes suck. Must have been close to not surviving too suffer that much negative effects. Especially that young. Had one myself approximately 5 years ago. Took a long time to be able to speak properly again . Hopefully despite the diagnosis there is hope for his brain to reconnect new pathways.
Good to hear you've made a recovery my friend, honestly, thanks for sharing that.

As someone who was nearly flatlined from acute kidney/liver failure, the idea of extreme weight cutting absolutely terrifies me

I hope this poor guy's paralysis is only temporary and he can eventually make a full recovery

Awful, hope the best for him in rehabilitation.

Hopefully it can be used in a positive manner to help get extreme weight-cutting out of professional MMA.
There’s 2 organizations only that doesn’t do these fked up weight cuts. One fc is one of them and I forgot the other. Ufc will do it eventually when a ufc fighter gets seriously hurt from weight cutting.

Back