Tired of the Hating on Octagon Controllers

You should use wrestling to improve position and put yourself in a position where you can damage yourself. Doing other wise is stalling, Brunson kept looking at the clock against Leben and was obviously stalling.

I'm not trying to troll or justify fighters who stall purposely. Like a previous poster said, there is a difference. What Guida did against Maynard is stalling. Okami smothered Belcher and won the fight. He was still trying to finish. There are fans out there who enjoy it as a sport and recognize that multiple tactics exist.

6'5, large wingspan. I think he'd do OK.

628x471.jpg

My bad
I read that as
fattest
fattest_man-795778.jpg

Stop calling MMA a sport, it isn't, what we are watching is a fight, not 2 athletes playing with a ball, not some dude running faster than the other.
We are watching a cage where 2 dudes are trying to take each other out.
Why would anyone try to sugar coat it is insanity to me.

About the wrestlers, they aren't dominant at all, take a closer look at the UFC champions, only Smoke Break and Cain are pure wrestlers.
Cain is really fun to watch, the other I don't care.

The other champs are well rounded or pure strikers.

Stalling doesn't make you win fights, case closed.

this.

its martial arts freeform in a controlled environment. the fact is that rules such as time limits and rounds exist b/c of the government. pre government involvment there were only a handful of rules.

it is a fight. it got turned into stalling by smug smartasses hell bent on "winning" because that's the american philosophy and what's garners the most money. all of which gets enabled by the UFC. If anyone is to blame, its the UFC. they dont lobby for any rule changes or set up the payscale to reward exciting fighters other than bonuses that come down more to uneven matchups than anything. one of the most boring fighters on the planet KO'd some australian in like 7 seconds. he gets a bonus and longevity b/c of that.

watching a guy avoid a fight is soooo frustrating. he's clearly there for the wrong reasons and ufc enables him.

this.

its martial arts freeform in a controlled environment. the fact is that rules such as time limits and rounds exist b/c of the government. pre government involvment there were only a handful of rules.

it is a fight. it got turned into stalling by smug smartasses hell bent on "winning" because that's the american philosophy and what's garners the most money. all of which gets enabled by the UFC. If anyone is to blame, its the UFC. they dont lobby for any rule changes or set up the payscale to reward exciting fighters other than bonuses that come down more to uneven matchups than anything. one of the most boring fighters on the planet KO'd some australian in like 7 seconds. he gets a bonus and longevity b/c of that.

watching a guy avoid a fight is soooo frustrating. he's clearly there for the wrong reasons and ufc enables him.

No, it's not a fight and it never was. If it were, then eyegouging, deliberate nutshots, etc., would all have been legal--as would foreign objects in the cage.

Hence, professional wrestling is really the only *true* fighting.

what is ultimate about guys rolling on the ground on holding each other against a cage???

i want to see guys fight

what is ultimate about guys rolling on the ground on holding each other against a cage???

i want to see guys fight

Dude, if you want to see guys fight, all you have to do is hand your iPhone to a friend, telling him to start rolling footage, and pick a fight at the bar, or out on the street, or maybe with your mom.

PLEASE post the footage here!

Stop calling MMA a sport, it isn't.

Yes it is. It has rules, referees, ring doctors and even judges.
A fight is what you get at night at half past 4 in the morning between to drunk and cocked up motherfuckers trying to kill each other with a broken bottle.

I love a good grappling match. I do not love a fighter whose goal is to lay on someone for 15 minutes in the guard and just throw enough strikes to not get stood up.

But controlling isn't supposed to be the goal; finishing is. That's why we don't count pins like they're submissions.

There is so much wrong with this post I wouldn't even know where to begin.

If you didn't have things like time limits, restrictions of specific strikes, etc. Wrestlers would be mauling people on the ground into plane crash victims.

Wall n Stalling is boring as fuck. Usually its done by the wrestlers who cant even take their opponents down to LnP them..

so next time you get in a fight why dont you push someone up the wall and stomp on his toe for a while and wait out the round......... oh yeah thats right.

mma is a combat sport, the 2 guys in there are FIGHTING. this means trying to hurt and takeout your opponent not stall for 15 mins and pick up a ud and a lose a few fans. its funny TS because you probably have some black belt account but are to embarrassed to actually start this thread on your real account so you make a new one.

cannot respect a style where its only objective is to avoid the fight until the the final bell rings.

I feel like the fighter on the bottom and all the fans are all getting trolled each time this happens.
Good post, I agree.

No, it's not a fight and it never was. If it were, then eyegouging, deliberate nutshots, etc., would all have been legal--as would foreign objects in the cage.

Hence, professional wrestling is really the only *true* fighting.

i dont even...

adding variables like extremely damaging blows and objects makes it into an advantage game, who can get the advantage first. MMA is using any style in a controlled environment with the emphasis on a fair fight.

we can debate whether the goal is to ride out the clock or finish your opponent until we're blue in the face but since both are adequate ways to win it doesn't matter. As long as attempts to finish are made then you wont ever hear most people complain. its when no attempts to finish are made as a gameplan that riles people.

I mean... why is this a "wrestler" hate thread?

I've seen quite a few wrestlers who use position to beat the ever living hell out of people. Even FITCH in his last fight did that, and probably should have gotten a stoppage.

When it comes down to it, sometimes the guy on his back is pretty good at defending the guard pass. And When you're stuck in closed guard, it's hard to do damage unless you're someone like Bones with absurd length and are able to generate some serious momentum on your shots.

It's a double edged sword, if the guy on his back is content with staying there and not escaping to the feet to re-implement their game plan, or *gasp* spending some time working on TD defense or sweeps, that's on them too right?

I'd say the BJJ guy (who thankfully we haven't seen much of lately) willing to just dive on his back and butt scoot around after the gentleman on the feet is much more pathetic in an MMA fight. We had that in a MW TITLE fight for god's sake. Or wait, what about the Jab-fest between to ground-fighters afraid to take it down into the other fighter's comfort zone? That's exciting right? Oh wait.

All styles can lead to boring fights, stop harshing on wrestlers. Cain, Urjiah, Chael, Hughes, Bones, Davis, Mighty Mouse, Benavidez, even Brock Lesnar, all wrestlers who brought the fight to you and more often than night make for an exciting fight.

My issue with the people booing in the arena is that it sometimes tends to sway the most experienced referee into breaking up the action (either on the ground or in the clinch) to restart the fight on the feet, which often interrupts the natural flow of the fight. I'm not saying that MMA should be like golf or tennis, where the audience is told to be quiet during the game, but it would be good if the referees were more consistent about their restarts, and no so easily swayed by the public.

Nothing will change until we change the judging.

Once it's understood that the guard is a neutral position everything will change. Once damage is tabulated over control, fighters will have more initiative. Imagine if the guy on top had to actually work for points. If elbows and sub attempts from the bottom trump top postion, it would be great. The guy on top should have to pass or punch to gain control

Back