Tired of the Hating on Octagon Controllers

But controlling isn't supposed to be the goal; finishing is. That's why we don't count pins like they're submissions.

Neither "controlling" nor "finishing" is the goal in an athletic contest between two competitors. Winning is.

How you win is secondary. Better to squeak out a boring decision than lose in devastating but entertaining fashion.

people think a jab counters opponents shooting a double?

At the end of the day
If you can't stop it, don't complain

When you really think about it, isn't the apex of martial arts to "win a fight by not fighting at all"?

In a philosophical sense, lay and prayers are the ultimate martial artists.

The goal?? it depends on the fighter. if i were there my goal would be to look so cool that 4 hot babes want me at once. or to make enough money to get 4 hot babes at once.

Then forget MMA.

Learn to sing, my friend.

At the end of the day
If you can't stop it, don't complain

Exactly.

On the the other side of that, run the same play until they stop it

But controlling isn't supposed to be the goal; finishing is. That's why we don't count pins like they're submissions.
wrong, the point is to win, regardless of how
A fighter shouldn't have to throw his career and health on the line by fighting a style that's "exciting" but won't win him fights
Gameplanning is part of the modern world of MMA, it's part of its evolution and it allows guys with less power or sub skills to win matches regardless

look at guys like Lauzon and Chris Lytle, neither is ever going to touch a title shot because they fight to excite (and I've got respect for them for that), but they aren't going to win consistently like that

If you're there to "control" then you deserve to get hated on.

jbbulletproof.gif

images

The fastest man on earth would be an awesome octagon controller. I wouldn't want to watch him.

Stop calling MMA a sport, it isn't, what we are watching is a fight, not 2 athletes playing with a ball, not some dude running faster than the other.
We are watching a cage where 2 dudes are trying to take each other out.
Why would anyone try to sugar coat it is insanity to me.

About the wrestlers, they aren't dominant at all, take a closer look at the UFC champions, only Smoke Break and Cain are pure wrestlers.
Cain is really fun to watch, the other I don't care.

The other champs are well rounded or pure strikers.

Stalling doesn't make you win fights, case closed.

You are just trying to justify boring fights...

I'm not even going to argue about this shit

I think a lot of people can't distinguish between effective use of wrestling/grappling and LnP/Wall and Stall. I wasn't bored at all during Belcher/Okami fight and I don't consider Yushin a boring fighter, the guy got back mount for like three fights in a row. GSP's fights are also usually decent, the most boring one was probably against Shields, but it was all on the feet. Wall and Stall/LnP often occur when a non-wrestler tries to get a decision but not good enough to get a td/do damage while mainaining top position.

Whats the point of this thread? You want people to appreciate one of the most boring aspects of "fighting"? It's okay to have a different opinion but that doesn't make anyone how doesn't like "wall and stall" tactics a "Just Bleed Fan".

That is the reality, I haven't been to a live UFC show so I don't really notice the boos/complaints. In fact, I don't mind watching "boring" fights because I can just try to pick out techniques and talk about them etc. There are wayy more boring sports out there.

Also, I am constantly eating during PPV's unless KZ is doing a twister (I made a huge mess that day).

It gets old hearing fans boo throughout these fights. Respect the fact that some fighters are bulkier wrestlers whose strategy is to control you. Thats the way it is. MMA is *mixed* martial arts. Not everyone is a striker.

Even more infuriating is the fighters who whine about it. Leben got dominated when Brunson outmuscled him. Ok....*do something about it*. Develop a jab and don't let him come in on you. Okami vs. Belcher. Same situation. You may not like the style, but respect that it's an option.

it goes both ways - wrestlers need to develop skills other than...wrestling. Especially when they spend half a round going for, and failing, to get double legs against the cage. when they do get it, they do nothing with it.

if you want to wrestle, go wrestle. If you want to FIGHT, then welcome to the Ultimate FIGHTING Championship.

bring in the yellow card system we'll see both sides develop real quick...but then the org needs to pay less attention to win/loss records and more attention to those who always "bring it" and who take more chances in an attempt to finish and to entertain.

as for booing - that's a large part of the North American fan base for you. Go watch Japan-based events for a more educated, respectful crowd.

Back