Tips To Know That You Suck

I'm still pretty fresh in the grappling world, so I make no claim to know any better.
But flame if you must, here 'tis;

why is the elbows-in-thigh guardpass bad?
ditto for chokes turning into cranks.

I know, we aren't rolling to hurt each other - I get that. And the lack of grace/technical skill, I get that too. But isn't a pass a pass and a sub a sub? - is it the person holding onto guards fault for not opening to the elbows, wouldn't that person know that the choice is open or hurt? And with the neck crank, why not just tap if someone's on your back with your head/neck assuredly under thier control? i mean - either would still work in a real match, a ref wouldn't fault it right?

this is NOT a troll, I genuinely don't understand how both of these situations are looked down on. Because in my opinion they're both just fundamentals for n00bs, they'll learn new passes and the crank will grow into a choke one day - but people like me are happy just to get the pass or take the back.

fire away! :D

That is one of those that I don't really see as a problem, but I can understand where some people do. I don't really use it much, but I don't see it as being bad either.

Cranks attack the spine and that can equate to serious spinal injuries. With cranks it may not hurt enough to cause you to tap at first, but there can be severe damage being done; one of those situations where you don't realize how bad is until it's too late.

Jasond:
Aaah, i see - same theory as alot of twisting leglocks.

just a followup that I'll throw in here just for your opinions;

going for an RNC, fighting to get an arm under - after a little more coaxing it's in but not over the carotid - it's over the windpipe. Obviously got a tap pretty damn quick, but the guy was bitching about it like I fucked up somewhere. But first of all, I was happy - and a little surprised - at getting his back, and second of all, as far as I'm concerned I still made him tap. Is he right to be shitty? or is it that he didn't expect to be tapped so soon by someone who knows *ahem* considerably less than him sub-wise? :D

I figure a sub is a sub. Cranks are as good as chokes. Yeah, they suck, but they're supposed to.

When your best guard pass is baiting for an arm bar or triangle.

I'm guilty of this, cause I'm having a hell of a time learning how to break that fuckin' guard.

..when you purposely show up late to class to shave off the 10minute hard warm up ;)

I'm a fat fuck (working on it, from 250 in January, to 220 right now), but I pride myself in suffering through it, just to look at their fresh faces afterwards like, "you're a bitch".

Personally, if I am going for a choke in practice and know that I don't have the neck, I move onto something else instead of neck cranking or trying to break the guy's jaw.

Actually I get kind of pissed when someone neck cranks me or has their forearm in my mouth and obviously doesn't have a choke and applies as much pressure as possible.

It bothers me because I already have a bulged disc in my upper back and a bad neck and I'm not at practice to test my neck crank pain tolerance. I feel that the danger outweighs the benefit of performing the move in practice

I'm still pretty fresh in the grappling world, so I make no claim to know any better.

Its bad because most people dont set anything up. They try to just dig the elbows in and all you have to do is pull them forward and they are off balance making it easy to trap an arm or suck them in. Its different when you drive your knee into their butt and then tripod using the forearm to break guard.

Mr. Fresca:
Yeah I can understand if you've already tucked the chin in such a degree that there's nothing short of hitting you to get the arm under. The question about the cranking is actually about my mate - his triangle/guilotines turn into cranks somehow. It's not intentional, just seemingly a side effect of the n00bness.
If there was no plausabile way of getting my arm under a chin for an RNC then yeah, no point in being a face-crusher...

Kuark:
hmm, true enough. Although the first way I was taught the elbow-pass, we had the knee in the butt and (assuming the grips end up in the right place to stuff triangle attempts) a sweet pass to side control. Is that more appreciable than just smashing elbows into thighs?
I mean, as far as I'm concerned - I like going through the middle to mount. While thats not elbow-based it can leave some mean bruises on someones inner thigh after I grind my shin over it - does this fall into the same catagory?

thanx guys :)

You abtain full mount but it is so rare that you are in the position you have no idea what to do.

You try to power through all of your submission attempts

You got subbed by people with 1/10th the experience you have because you didn't think they could actually submit you, or you got subbed because you wanted to try that escape you just saw on youtube - because Jacare pulled it off so easily!

I figure a sub is a sub. Cranks are as good as chokes. Yeah, they suck, but they're supposed to.

i can understand the reason why that would be appealing, but in training with guys in your gym its just annoying. a neck crank is something that requires no technique and probably won't get your opponent to tap, its just REALLY sucks until you blow your proverbial wad. all you are doing is causing pain to your partners, not trying techniques and getting better. the gym is supposed to be the place where everyone gets better, its not the mundials or the abu dabai. no one gets a medal in the gym.

I agree that's how you know you suck... by making statements like that. I only use/allow neck cranks when rolling with those whom I trust. Otherwise, and even then most of the time, I don't want to hurt my partner's neck or spine. I'm a nice guy like that.

I agree that's how you know you suck... by making statements like that. I only use/allow neck cranks when rolling with those whom I trust. Otherwise, and even then most of the time, I don't want to hurt my partner's neck or spine. I'm a nice guy like that.

Preach.

When it takes nearly 2 years of training to learn an actual sub from guard that is not a Gogo.

Oh and when your leglock game is lightyears ahead of your guard sub game. Until recently I would try and go for a sub from guard to always set up a leglock. Oh my.

You're in side mount and the only thing you can do is a keylock. (At first, when I was learning from a white belt at a college BJJ club, that and the guilotine were all I could do sub wise. Oh, how things have changed)

well i don't know much about all that. but i know how u know that u are getting real good on the the track to being the best.

when in a grappling match all u do is mount a guy and he tries to buck u. then u slid down his chest to go for a triangle from the top and a nut pops into his mouth. this can only be done if u are not wearing a cup and u have testies the size of tennis balls. might work better if not wearing clothing.

haha

seriously though. i am to much of a defensive fighter meaning that if i get in someones gaurd i just sit and wait for an opening. no passing the gaurd or anything. i ussually set them up so they can go for an arm or a triangle so i can shove them aside and take side control. not safe to do but has not failed me yet.

I know, we aren't rolling to hurt each other - I get that. And the lack of grace/technical skill, I get that too. But isn't a pass a pass and a sub a sub? - is it the person holding onto guards fault for not opening to the elbows, wouldn't that person know that the choice is open or hurt? And with the neck crank, why not just tap if someone's on your back with your head/neck assuredly under thier control? i mean - either would still work in a real match, a ref wouldn't fault it right?

this is NOT a troll, I genuinely don't understand how both of these situations are looked down on. Because in my opinion they're both just fundamentals for n00bs, they'll learn new passes and the crank will grow into a choke one day - but people like me are happy just to get the pass or take the back.

fire away! :D

If you kick him dead on his balls he will likely tap too, but this does not make it an acceptable technique.

Elbow-in-thigh guardpass doesn't work on anyone any good, at best. At worst will get you triangled. It teaches all the wrong principles.

Back