Tips to improve your BJJ progession, drastically.

outonbail

Living My Dreams
Reaction score
First off all, I wrote this while thinking on the bus how i improved my game, and how i could improve it even more.

1.Proper di

Diet, sleep, mat time/money/competition, are my big issues. My gym is open twice a week, and I take a trip to Griffonrawl once a month or so to roll and get tips from the BJJ instructor. My diet, and sleep I REALLY need to work on (goddamn soda, and late night TV..)

Nothing wrong with youtube, there is lots of good stuff on there mixed in with the junk.

The problem is more mindset, people thinking the best way to win is by knowing a technique the other guy doesn't. Chances are if your / his instructor hasn't taught it, it's not terribly high percentage, you might catch the new guys once or twice, but it will soon stop working and you'll be back to looking for crazy shit no one else knows all over again.

Posture, Pressure, grips and knowing your choke points, that will get you farther then a 100 novelty submissions. Everything is about fundamentals and basics and using those fundamentals to achieve good setups. If you have a good setup the "techniques" will happen on their own, but without a good setup and good control it doesn't matter about the technique because you'll never get it.

Good tips.

I think I'm doing pretty well on the mat time and pacing parts.

My diet is not terrible but not great. I eat a lot of vegetables and I don't really drink soda. I really need to drink less beer though.

I like the "no YouTube" rule.

Diet is always the hardest. This is a good list. I think another important tip is keeping yourself motivated. Do whatever you need to do to keep yourself interested and motivated.

imho there is no point in going to class when there is technique only without drilling and you've been training for 2years+ frequently(with this, i mean 5-7 times a week).

I've never heard of classes that show technique only without drilling. Are you referring to rolling?

Good list but I think you're missing 1 critical point (you've touched on it close, but not quite). I am referring to efficiency.

Efficiency can mean a lot of things in training. I don't consider "drilling & rolling" necessarily to be enough to constitute an "efficient" training session. How much did you actually learn per class? Are you drilling enough? A lot of top level guys talk about the importance of drilling like 70% of the time, rolling like 30%. Are your drills efficient in themselves? Are you doing enough positional sparring? You have to create drills to address the weaknesses in your game. Do you know exactly and specifically what weaknesses you have? Introspection is a good thing in training. What are you good at? What can you do to make that even better? What techniques would be more practical for your body type? Are your training partners helping you improve? Who can you train with to maximize your improvement? Etc etc etc....all this and more goes into efficiency.

Also: Are you setting goals for yourself? Micro-goals as in learning a specific technique to the level of muscle memory? How long is it taking you to learn this technique? Have you been able to apply in rolling? etc etc...

i talk about classes where you try the move a few times, but don't do specific training ( aka start in side control, you try to go for that move, other guy defends)

I've never heard of classes that show technique only without drilling. Are you referring to rolling?

Good list but I think you're missing 1 critical point (you've touched on it close, but not quite). I am referring to efficiency.

Efficiency can mean a lot of things in training. I don't consider "drilling & rolling" necessarily to be enough to constitute an "efficient" training session. How much did you actually learn per class? Are you drilling enough? A lot of top level guys talk about the importance of drilling like 70% of the time, rolling like 30%. Are your drills efficient in themselves? Are you doing enough positional sparring? You have to create drills to address the weaknesses in your game. Do you know exactly and specifically what weaknesses you have? Introspection is a good thing in training. What are you good at? What can you do to make that even better? What techniques would be more practical for your body type? Are your training partners helping you improve? Who can you train with to maximize your improvement? Etc etc etc....all this and more goes into efficiency.

Also: Are you setting goals for yourself? Micro-goals as in learning a specific technique to the level of muscle memory? How long is it taking you to learn this technique? Have you been able to apply in rolling? etc etc...

Good post. I know the Mendes brothers preach this a lot.

Good post! Journaling and planning your training sessions are a way to organize these concepts into your everyday training. That way you can chart your improvement over time and have a clear picture of what needs to be worked on.

I would say that increasing my training time to 5 days a week and cutting out junk food were the things that allowed me to see a much higher increase in my overall jiu-jitsu game. Big changes in only about 3 months time.

Focus more on escapes/control/defense when starting out.

I'd add "compete regularly" to this list. Even though competitions aren't fun for everyone, you do learn a lot from them.

More or less good advice except youtube. If used wise the net can help with your game. There are a couple of moves I learned of youtube and am using them at training/ competition on a regular basis.

Back