Tips on moving to Amsterdam please??? or anyone moved countries for work???

yendor28

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I live in Australia. Good job, good life, great friends, great health, fitness and training schedule at the moment. Well paid.

33 with 3 units left on my MBA (i.e almost done).

I.e Very happy. Only main drawback is girls. I have some girls on the side although nothing serious for a while. I get a lot of pressure to marry/settle down. Lots of my friends have kids already. Very cool although has not worked out that way for me.

So I have been offered a top job setting up a new sales office in Amsterdam. Completely on my own to begin. My boss is living/working in Dubai. I would have to set things up. Lots of travel through Europe especially Eastern Europe.

I would have to move in around 2 months so very fast.

So would you recommend? Why/Why not?

I am thinking yes because if I am serious about my career, then these are the chances I have to take. I have a great life here although it is safe/the easy choice.

I would have to do Summer school, study externally or at a university in Amsterdam to finish my MBA although the experience would be better than the MBA anyway.

So anyone live in Amsterdam or have done something similar?

Any tips please?

The company would relocate me, pay for accommodation etc. I would be well paid. Although I think my expenses would increase. Europe is cheaper than Australia in some ways although I think I would do more. I.e travel and live it up a lot more than Australia.

Unsure where the office would be etc.

I also REALLY dislike the cold. I find less than 20 degrees celcius cold and do not even like Australian winters.

I can survive though obviously. Just have a preference for warm weather. I would definitely visit NYC a lot as only 7 hours flight instead of my previous 23.

I only speak English although was overwhelmed that the Dutch speak better English than me.

*ps: save the jokes about drugs/red light districts. thanks :)

Travel to Eastern Europe, you say? Get girl from Ukraine and will scream in sex pain. Is nice.

Anyway, what's holding you back from doing exactly? Opportunities like this probably won't be possible when you are older. Might as well leave your comfort zone for a while and do something other than what you'd be doing for the rest of your life.

As for the cold? Your blood will thicken over time.

I'd do it. Would be a great chance to mix things up going to an awesome place, all while furthering your career. Win/win situation to me.

Travel to Eastern Europe, you say? Get girl from Ukraine and will scream in sex pain. Is nice.

Anyway, what's holding you back from doing exactly? Opportunities like this probably won't be possible when you are older. Might as well leave your comfort zone for a while and do something other than what you'd be doing for the rest of your life.

As for the cold? Your blood will thicken over time.

Thanks- the issue holding me back is the risk. I really like how everything is going at the moment.

Definitely leaning to yes and will get more information.

travelled to Den Haag a couple of summers ago. They have some tall kids there, I'm 5'8 so that kinda sucked.

join a good Dutch KB gym just for the heck of it

Do it man. I wouldn't even hesitant.

I would have said, "Give me 3 days."

It sounds like a good idea. You mentioned not having a family of your own yet and this is exactly the kind of thing you can do far more easily now, before you start one. It makes sense that you are assessing the risks of doing it (as you should), but I think if it comes down to the safe/comfortable versus the fear of the unknown/challenge you might want to go with the latter because going with the former could easily lead to regret later on.

Good luck either way!

EDIT: And you are so right about their English...I was flying through Amsterdam and one of the flight attendants spoke so well that she could walk around here and claim to be born here and nobody would ever know any better.

EDIT: And you are so right about their English...I was flying through Amsterdam and one of the flight attendants spoke so well that she could walk around here and claim to be born here and nobody would ever know any better.
My best friend is Dutch and his English is better than some of my friends who are from New York

I actually think Cracked has written some good articles about it:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-weirdest-side-effects-moving-to-new-country/
http://www.cracked.com/article_19363_6-reasons-your-plans-to-move-abroad-might-not-work-out.html
At least things you have to consider before moving. I believe things are more positive for you though, since you have a job lined up.

I also REALLY dislike the cold. I find less than 20 degrees celcius cold and do not even like Australian winters.

Lol. Reminds me of my cousins who are also from Australia. They visited during a winter once where they all went down with pneumonia. In the summer they were walking around in sweater and jeans.
On the contrary I was near death when I visited Australia, so I guess it goes both ways.

travelled to Den Haag a couple of summers ago. They have some tall kids there, I'm 5'8 so that kinda sucked.

join a good Dutch KB gym just for the heck of it

http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/travel/top-10-tallest-countries_1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Average_height_around_the_world

Tallest country in the world. Even beating the scandinavian countries.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Anyone actually live/lived there? Thoughts on living there?

I am excited about the new change although the cold is going to hurt me.

Thanks everyone.

Anyone actually live/lived there? Thoughts on living there?

I am excited about the new change although the cold is going to hurt me.

PM Skyler/Fingercuffs, she moved there from England.

I live in Holland. Not in Amsterdam but been there countless times.

TS you give no real reason not to go except you don't like the cold and say under twenty is cold, lol. Yeah, it's gonna be under twenty a lot there. You'll get used to it. Like I said you give no realreason not to go... So go!

Also Skyler is a Britt that moved to Amsterdam, but haven't seen her in a little while.

hey dude lived there all last year. im from sydney so i can tell you it gets fucking cold. but you get used to it. the girls are ridiculously hot. easy to talk too as well. aussie girls are way to snobby. there is always something to do in amsterdam, and doesnt matter what kind of person you are, you can fit in. get on a train for an hour anyway and end up in belgium,germany,switzerland or denmark. my only regret that i lived in amsterdam because its very touristy. you should try to live in utrecht which is half an hour away. so you will make a lot of dutch friends and hang with dutch but if you want a crazy party then go up to amsterdam and go to a club called trouw. ask me anything else??? :)

If you skip this opportunity, you're insane. If you turn it down, you'll always ask yourself "What If?" GO FOR IT!

Thanks all.

Great posts. Much appreciated.

Found out more about work. Was told to expect 16 hour days and I will be travelling Europe every 2nd week. I think it wont be that bad (or at least hard to tell until I arrive) and it will get better after I adjust.

hey dude lived there all last year. im from sydney so i can tell you it gets fucking cold. but you get used to it. the girls are ridiculously hot. easy to talk too as well. aussie girls are way to snobby. there is always something to do in amsterdam, and doesnt matter what kind of person you are, you can fit in. get on a train for an hour anyway and end up in belgium,germany,switzerland or denmark. my only regret that i lived in amsterdam because its very touristy. you should try to live in utrecht which is half an hour away. so you will make a lot of dutch friends and hang with dutch but if you want a crazy party then go up to amsterdam and go to a club called trouw. ask me anything else??? :)

Awesome.

Girls: Priority ha ha. Good to hear that the girls are hot.

I did not find them that hot. Not overly into tall girls and the guys that have liked the girls, usually like tall girls. As a sidenote: I was pleasantly surprised by German and Latvian girls.

I have travelled more than average and I think Australian girls are some of the hottest up to say age 25. After that, their lifestyles seem to take a toll. That said, most are tough for me to appreciate other than them being hot. I.e stuck up or just stupid other than being hot.

Where would you recommend to stay in terms of rich, quiet, cool areas. I.e not stupid posh accent rich with small dogs, but quiet, respectful type places?

What did you do there?

Any general tips or things you wish someone told you before you went there?

thanks

Last edited:
I hope you like rain haha. Weather here is absolute shit, past 2 weeks rain non stop and its only october and going to get worse lol.

And yes do go to Trouw, best club in A'dam. Best party has gotta be awakenings in the gashouder though.

Back