Tips on bjj aggressivness

bunga

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, boys!
I am going for my 2nd tournament this Saturday. Lost both of my fights on the previous one.
the problem is - I cannot switch from training mode to the tournament mode. I know you have to go 100 percent when you are competing. It is easier said than done. Last time I had the guy in my guard and was squeezing till his ribs hurt and he started groaning and he had this look in his eyes. I just released it and said 'sorry' like some idiot. He passed my guard and won it on points.
Now, I really want to win this one, I'm physically and technically all there, just that one bit missing to win.
What are your tips to zone in to this competition mode? what do you normally do to get there?

Hi, boys!.... Last time I had the guy in my guard and was squeezing till his ribs hurt and he started groaning and he had this look in his eyes. I just released it and said 'sorry' like some idiot.

now you two can never be together.

Will: Do you find it hard to hide the fact that you're gay?
Henry Lipkin: [stammers] What are... talking... about... What?
Will: Look, buddy, a few seconds ago you were ready to give *me* a jump!
Henry Lipkin: [feeling somewhat insulted] A jump? I... I'm terribly sorry... I...
Will: Hey, I don't have a problem with it. I don't care if you putt from the rough!

He is trying to beat you and he will hurt you if he can. You don't know him. There is no need to smash him, but he can always tap. Don't be the victim, be the agressor. You won't always win in, but you should never lose becasue you were scared if your opponent was "uncomfortable". Hopefully you are not a troll. What? Please don't ever ask this question again.

I usually punch myself in the b*lls about 8-10 times before I fight just so I get angry enough to choke someone. Does that make me crazy?

Try and win. Don't think of "what if I hurt him"...just try and win, work your game.

just go out there and smash the dude. play your game and have no doubt about your skills. you should be training hard anyway. for me, I'm a competitive person and I naturally train hard and give it my all. just train to get the submission and transition well and smooth. if he doesn't tap and you're 100% sure you have the submission locked, keep going until he taps. it's a competition and from day 1 we all learned the #1 rule which is tap when you can't take the pain anymore. don't be a dick and crank it, of course. I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble with that, anyway. you probably won't submit someone from a body triangle from guard, though, unless their core is pretty weak.

I can assure you this is not a trolljob. I now realise my choice of words (boys:) sounds kind of homo, but I saw it as a friendly and familiar expression.

Now I sometimes hurt guys in training when rolling faster(100kg). And after reading all the threads here about spazzing noobs I would not want to be one.
As for the tournament - just have to try and take off all the restraints and do my best to win, I guess. Just thought there was something specific that can be done for that. You never know. There's lots of power in shared knowledge

At the end of the day it's a martial art . No longer is the kill or be be killed mentality required but the principle remains the same.

The idea is to stop your opponent before he stops you.

I use to be the same when doing a TMA. At first when sparring I'd help my opponent up if they fell. I've even done the saying 'sorry' thing a few times.

Once the instructor asked me "Would you do that on the street ?" it all became clearer.

and like has already been said "they can tap"

It is a lot easier to be effectively aggressive when you know what you are going to do next. Start plotting and planning your defenses, counters and attacks - and training them - more regularly.

This is one area where visualization can really help when you are off-mat. Think about your perfect match (perfect takedown, perfect guard pass, perfect dominant position, perfect finish) and start training those techniques in sequence.

Good luck.

You just have to find your competition style. Not everyone competes with agression.

A few weeks before the tournament, tell your training partners you are going to be rolling full speed to get in tournament mode. And do it.

Avoid the subconscious mentality of "What if I go 100% and still lose? If I go 75% and lose, that's okay, because I know I'd have won if I tried". That's just kidding yourself, and I know because I've done that many times. You really have to not think of the outcome at all, you just have to do it, and do it with all the right intentions.

Mentally rehearse what will happen on the day, up to the point where you first make contact with your opponent (don't try to visualise too much past that, or you will drive yourself insane with the millions of permutations).

Just picture your approach: The ref will call your name, you will stand up, confident. This is where you switch into "game" mode, you're all business now. You slap hands with your opponent, with positive body language that shows him this is just another day at the office for you. Do not concede any superiority, do not let your body language become apologetic. When the ref says "go", you start busy, you start fast, and you threaten him with moves you may not even have. Openings will happen. Maintain that fast-thinking, fast-acting mindset, and that will carry you through your contest.

Hi, boys!
I am going for my 2nd tournament this Saturday. Lost both of my fights on the previous one.
the problem is - I cannot switch from training mode to the tournament mode. I know you have to go 100 percent when you are competing. It is easier said than done. Last time I had the guy in my guard and was squeezing till his ribs hurt and he started groaning and he had this look in his eyes. I just released it and said 'sorry' like some idiot. He passed my guard and won it on points.
Now, I really want to win this one, I'm physically and technically all there, just that one bit missing to win.
What are your tips to zone in to this competition mode? what do you normally do to get there?

Stopped reading. Too creeped out.

I have this sometimes just rolling with an aggressive player on the mat. I'm too nice sometimes and I kinda get shocked when I feel someone is out to do some damage. The thought of escalating the mood to that of a real life fight is easy to fall into.

I just do my thing and roll without aggression, with good enough technique you can win without aggression.

Just gotta find what works for you.

Pump yourself up before the fight, or at the very least repeat to yourself this is competition and it's tap or snap. TAP OR SNAP! TAP OR SNAP!!!!

But seriously, just get pissed and hyped.

Back