Tips for starting your own business

Check your state government website for FAQs and laws/statutes re: your area of business for licensing requirements, laws specific to your business.

You'll probably find some ridiculous bureaucratic bullshit you need to jump through.

Hire a good CPA and pay him whatever he asks. Make sure he's good first of course.

Money talks.

Kind of dumb to just start a business on a whim, whereas if you had capital to spend on whatever you need (like advertising) then you'd be in a much better situation.

Also a good idea to know people who can help, I don't need a friend who can chug a case of beer, I need a friend who knows search optimization.

And that business is gonna be your life for the first 3-5 years minimum.

Treat every client like a prized possession, service service, service...responsive, fair and honest...you will build a solid dependable client base without advertising if you do these few simple things..I don't know about The IT business but I did start my own Biz 30 years ago and have worked every day since, not counting vacations ...

People search on Google for solutions. People do not search for solutions on social media. People use social media to waste time, for entertainment, and to socialize. However, one huge benefit that Facebook has is the ability to target the exact type of customer you're looking for. Do you have a profile for your target customer? Have you run ads to reach the type of person who is your target customer?

Obviously depends on what you're selling, but you can do targeted ads on other social media platforms. For example, if you look at a model's Instagram profile it's highly likely they'll be posing while holding some stupid weight loss drink ('FitTea', a basic green tea product, for example has grown incredibly well this way). Paying influencers on Instagram or top bloggers can be a great way of getting your product out there.

For an IT business though, as you say Facebook would be the better social media platform to advertise on (as well as Google PPC ads). Also if it's a local IT service that is being provided, then paying to advertise your business in a local magazine or newspaper can't do any harm either.

People search on Google for solutions. People do not search for solutions on social media. People use social media to waste time, for entertainment, and to socialize. However, one huge benefit that Facebook has is the ability to target the exact type of customer you're looking for. Do you have a profile for your target customer? Have you run ads to reach the type of person who is your target customer?

To further expand on this, Google is going to be your best friend. Google AdWords and paid ads on Google so you are the top/one of the top searches for key words is paramount. I have actually had to drop words from our ad list as we no longer have the staff to support the amount of incoming requests.

Cool story. Although he doesn't offer much practical advice other than (1) use Craigslist as a marketing tool, (2) work your ever-loving ass off. I'm genuinely curious what his ads look like, and what services he claims to offer.

Obviously depends on what you're selling, but you can do targeted ads on other social media platforms. For example, if you look at a model's Instagram profile it's highly likely they'll be posing while holding some stupid weight loss drink ('FitTea', a basic green tea product, for example has grown incredibly well this way). Paying influencers on Instagram or top bloggers can be a great way of getting your product out there.

For an IT business though, as you say Facebook would be the better social media platform to advertise on (as well as Google PPC ads). Also if it's a local IT service that is being provided, then paying to advertise your business in a local magazine or newspaper can't do any harm either.

FTC has new rules regarding paid advertising on social media.

Cool story. Although he doesn't offer much practical advice other than (1) use Craigslist as a marketing tool, (2) work your ever-loving ass off. I'm genuinely curious what his ads look like, and what services he claims to offer.
He's got a YouTube channel about running your landscaping business. And talks about more there. And he's interviewed a lot.

Hey sherbros,
I recently just quit my toxic job and decided to start my own IT company.
It's been a struggle to get consistent work but I honestly haven't really tried putting myself out there.
Everything has been word of mouth, but very soon I will need to find a stable clientele base.
I've been working for DoorDash as a supplement to my business but it only averages about $15-$20 per hour before taxes.

Any other small business owners have any tips or suggestions on how to get things going? Would love to hear any suggestions.
Talk about it online, free advertising. Incentives for online reviews. Stay modern. Quality over quantity. Treat employees wonderfully. Great customer service. That's all I got

Yeah I read that, be interesting to see how well they are enforced though.

I think they expect social media to sort of police itself unless they catch wind of something fishy. But if it's blatant enough to warrant an investigation then people will start forking over some serious dough for deceptive advertising.

Back