Tips for opening the closed guard in no gi?

I hear tozi pass all the time... what is this you speak of? My gym needs to start calling stuff by these silly names so I can keep up with the forums. XD

I hear tozi pass all the time... what is this you speak of? My gym needs to start calling stuff by these silly names so I can keep up with the forums. XD

The Tozi pass is named after, shockingly, a guy named Roberto (IIRC) Tozi who invented it some years ago. Youtube is your friend on this one, lots of variations. I like the Wilson Reis variant myself.

first step is keeping your hands pressed against your foe's hips with your elbows digging into their inner thigh area,keep an errect posture,flare the elbows into the thigh area to create pain/discomfort,then place one of your knees in the center of your foe's buttocks region..this should open the guard ,,then you can impliment any pass you want from there,,i like to pin one leg with my knee and underhook the other leg so i can pass to either side!!

lol, no serious practitioner will let you dig your elbows into their thighs all willy nilly, they will be pulling your elbow, and such. Depending on causing "pain" and "discomfort" in this situation to open the guard is bad form/technique and will stop working at a certain level ( or so Ive been told ).

Just placing your knee into the butt wont do anything.. you must bend the other leg out and use it as kind of a slide to push your opponents thigh down, in order to break the guard. I don't know whos opening their guard from that simple knee to butt thing, while it is useful, it is only the begining of the technique to break the guard correctly.

I will usually stand up take 3 small quick steps in a little semi circle, tiny ones while pushing down on the thigh, this works very well for me to break the guard personally. You would push at the same time your doing your little step so they would be in tandem.

Tozi pass is still pretty underground, it got really big a couple years ago then simmered down. Probably because the learning curve involves getting omoplata'ed and triangled a lot at first. I know that's why I gave up

I'm suprised so many people advocate to pass standing straight away. I much prefer to pass from my knees when possible, as I feel I am able to maintain much better control during the pass. Attempting a standing pass to me is a last resort.

I find no gi passing much easier too, as they can't use the collar grip to control posture.

Back