1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

tips for my first boxing fight???

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by sanchez2413, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BigOl'Dix White Belt

Everybody hit the training aspect pretty hard....the biggest thing for me in my first fight was mental...don't go in so amped you blow your load...and don't be so relaxed that at the opening bell you could take a nap.

Be the predator...never the prey. Know he can't hurt you....don't listen to the crowd when they Ohhh and ahhh over loud noises the gloves make.

And a couple times during the fight...take a deep breath and mentally re evaluate the fight...take 2-3 seconds...step out of his punching range and rethnk whats been working...what hasnt...this way you don't get sucked into that "omg I have to catch up mode".

And just remember in that final minute...its only 60 seconds but you have the next 60 months to rethink what you did there...so leave no regrets.

This may not be helpful to you but I learned all of these lessons in my first fight so hopefully it keeps you from making the same mistakes. Let us know how it goes.

2. Godhand13 White Belt

Tasmania, Australia. It's the little island at the
    hit him in the head

3. sanchez2413 Orange Belt

thanks guys i will try to film the video and post it ok i will keep u guys updated

4. Tropics1020 Brown Belt

Spar alot! That's the best thing you can do because it's the closest you can get to being in a real fight.

Also when sparring work on establishing your jab, throwing it straight and using it to land the straight right hand at will.

You should work on your defence because when it comes down to it NOT GETTING HIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF BOXING. So work on picking/slipping punches, bobbing/weaving, and pivots. Also keep your hands up!