tips for my first boxing fight???

sanchez2413

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey guys so im going to have my first amateur fight over here in mexico and its going to be a 3 rounds 3 minutes each round.

so my question is do u guys have any tips that i need to know because when i do sparring i get kind of nervous perhaps because i am afraid to get beat up i dont know.

also can u guys recomend me some tips to get well prepared this is my daily routine

run 3 kilometers
shadow box 8 3 minute rounds
mits 3 rounds
heavy bag 2 rounds.
so guys can u give me some tips? plzz

this is just from my personal experience (i'm assuming you're fighting another novice):

work on your endurance! your legs are the first to go in a fight, and even if one guy has a bit better technique, the guy with the better cardio is gonna win. i'm not talking about jogging either, do sprints a couple times a week. 100m sprints are ok, but i find 200-400m sprints help me out the most. i'm still a novice too, so the other guys here can probably give you more in-depth advice, but sprints and leg endurance are the most important in your first couple fights IMO.

matic is right. train your cardio to be beastly, and you'll have nothing to fear besides being hit in the face. Even perfect technique goes to shit once you get tired and start gasping for air.

Oh and dont forget to jab.

Joel Jamieson and Pat Militech both recommend hill sprints. Thtat builds your aenerobic threshold.

hit him in the face...worked for me.

Training for my first fight did 10 rounds of gpp, 5 on heavy bag, 5 mits and sparring until they made me leave. Just work on controlling your level of excitement; calm people make better decisions.

I agree 100% with the cardio tips!! Remember, if there's any one weapon or tool you can always rely on, make it your cardio and your ability put the guy through a hard pace. 400m sprints are what I would recommend as well, I do them myself. They suck, but they work. Just do them as fast as you can. Mix up your running as well. One day do a regular paced 3k, next do it as fast as you can, next day sprints, next day an easy jog, next day sprints. Like it was said before, cardio will win your first few fights. I'm 13 fights into my career and cardio is still my priority.

Also, I'd suggest adding a few more rounds to your mitt work and heavy bag. Mitt work will of course help your technique with your coach holding for you, but also build up your arm strength so you can keep throwing those punches for all 3 rounds nonstop.

I don't want to keep rambling, but work on that composure also!! Stay calm and good luck!!

i remember my first fight, probably going to end up in a sloppy hay maker session where both of you gas... 90% of all amateur fights go this way.

My tips:

Before the fight-
1. Hard sparring. You don't want to injure yourself, but it is very important to know what it is like in there when a guy is really trying to hurt you. Also it is impossible to duplicate a fight in terms of conditioning, it is great when you have 2 or 3 guys rotating rounds so they are fresh and you are not. If you can go 6 hard rounds with fresh comp each round, I would feel real good in a 3 round fight.

2. Along with mitts, sparring, and bag work, I would aim to be comfortable running 5 miles @ a 9 min a mile pace by the time you fight rolls around. Running hills or swimming can also help with conditioning.

3. Work on getting out of a corner or a bad situation (like you are rocked). Clinching is a very unnatural thing to do...needs constant work. A habit that must be broken with rookie boxers is turning your back to your opponent when hurt...don't do it!

During the fight-

1. Straight punches. Focus on moving in and out of range when throwing these.

2. Punches in bunches. Very hard for most amateurs to counter properly and defend when somebody throws a 3-5 punch combo.

3. Jab. A great offensive set up and defensive tool. Use it on the offense to blind and fluster your opponent before opening up and on the defense to back away when he is coming at you.

4. Composure when you are hurt or he is hurt. A huge reason why almost every smoker ends up with both fighters with their hands down and gasping for air is because they are tense the entire fight and freak out when they get hit or connect. If you get hurt, turtle out and back up, and if he gets close enough grab onto him for dear life. If you rock him, do not start throwing sloppy hay makers....there is a strong chance you will get countered from something you didn't even see because most new boxers respond to being hurt by throwing crazy punches themselves.

I would work short fast hooks to the body, then the head, when i have my man hurt.

Good luck brotha.

Don't worry too much, getting KTFO is not that big a deal.

hey guys so im going to have my first amateur fight over here in mexico and its going to be a 3 rounds 3 minutes each round.

so my question is do u guys have any tips that i need to know because when i do sparring i get kind of nervous perhaps because i am afraid to get beat up i dont know.

also can u guys recomend me some tips to get well prepared this is my daily routine

run 3 kilometers
shadow box 8 3 minute rounds
mits 3 rounds
heavy bag 2 rounds.
so guys can u give me some tips? plzz

Like King said, straight punches are going to be key, especially if he comes out winging haymakers. Throwing combos is also a great tip.

Another thing which I have found vital in Amateur Boxing, DO NOT throw every single punch like you are trying to get a knockout. YOU WILL GAS. Pick the shots that you want to land with power, but for the most part go for speed when throwing.

Make sure you have your breathing down. In through the nose, short sharp exhales as you throw punches.

You are going to want to stay relaxed. Being tense will cause you to as quicker then anything in the sport of boxing. This is mostly mental. Keep in mind that:

- Losing isn't going to be the end of the world.
- Your opponent is just as scared as you are.
- Nobody will be dissapointed in you if you give it your all.

There really isn't anything to be afraid of, you won't get beat up. They have a point system in place and if you are losing by a lot they will stop the fight to protect you. Nobody will disown you should you lose, and every great fighter has lost at some point. When you look at it, there is really nothing to be afraid of.

Running sprints is good, another way to improve conditioning in my experience has been to find a good area with a lot of hills to run and:

- Run as hard as you can for 2 minutes
- For the last minute, run straight up one of those hills to simulate the extra strain of the last minute (a flight of stairs works as well)
- Jog for 1 minute (this is the duration of the break between rounds).
- Repeat 3 times.

Make sure to wear your mouthpiece as you run to ensure you get used to how you breath with it in.

As for your daily routine, get in as much sparring as you can. Get your more experienced sparring partners to push you. If they are good boxers they will know how to push you and make you work hard without beating you to a pulp. Try resting for only 30 seconds between rounds, so when you have a full minute it feels like a ton of time and you will know you are recovered.

Lastly, have fun with it. The whole atmosphere of fights is fun, and if it is local I'm sure you will have family and friends cheering you on.

Keep all of this in mind and make sure your technique is good and you will have a good fight! I might be able to offer more specific tips if I know your height and weightclass as well. Also, when is the fight?

Like King said, straight punches are going to be key, especially if he comes out winging haymakers. Throwing combos is also a great tip.

Another thing which I have found vital in Amateur Boxing, DO NOT throw every single punch like you are trying to get a knockout. YOU WILL GAS. Pick the shots that you want to land with power, but for the most part go for speed when throwing.

Make sure you have your breathing down. In through the nose, short sharp exhales as you throw punches.

You are going to want to stay relaxed. Being tense will cause you to as quicker then anything in the sport of boxing. This is mostly mental. Keep in mind that:

There really isn't anything to be afraid of, you won't get beat up. They have a point system in place and if you are losing by a lot they will stop the fight to protect you. Nobody will disown you should you lose, and every great fighter has lost at some point. When you look at it, there is really nothing to be afraid of.

Running sprints is good, another way to improve conditioning in my experience has been to find a good area with a lot of hills to run and:

- For the last minute, run straight up one of those hills to simulate the extra strain of the last minute (a flight of stairs works as well)
- Repeat 3 times.

Make sure to wear your mouthpiece as you run to ensure you get used to how you breath with it in.

As for your daily routine, get in as much sparring as you can. Get your more experienced sparring partners to push you. If they are good boxers they will know how to push you and make you work hard without beating you to a pulp. Try resting for only 30 seconds between rounds, so when you have a full minute it feels like a ton of time and you will know you are recovered.

Lastly, have fun with it. The whole atmosphere of fights is fun, and if it is local I'm sure you will have family and friends cheering you on.

Keep all of this in mind and make sure your technique is good and you will have a good fight! I might be able to offer more specific tips if I know your height and weightclass as well. Also, when is the fight?

Excellent post, and pretty much sums it all up. Trust in your training, and when you step into the ring remember that your opponent is just as nervous as you are.

The fight is going to be over before you know it, and you'll be dying to fight again as soon as it's done :)

Work your cardio big time, not leisurely jogs, but running hard i.e interval sprints. Move around and make angles. Worried about getting hit? If you don't stand in the same spot makes it a bit difficult for the opponent. Chin down and don't panic if you get hit. Learn to let the punches roll off your body and keep coming back. In the end, whether you win or lose, going out there and competing for 3 rounds is quite the accomplishment that the majority of humanity dare not endeavor. Good luck.

i agree with the comments already made, train cardio, good mix of LSD and HIIT. you may feel nervous going in but once you start fighting it will go away, the only time i felt scared during my first fight is when i started to feel tired as thats when you can get hurt quite easily.

I agree with everything posted but another thing to work on that hasn't been mentioned is BALANCE. For me, I signed up for a soccer team and really made an effort to work on my weaker foot, and after a while I could really tell a difference in my balance. Learning how to use my weaker foot and playing 90 minute games really paid dividends towards my boxing game.

No matter how you look at it being a fighter is a lifestyle that requires a lot of hard work. Keep a clear mind and like everyone has already said, losing is not the end of the world.

-keep your punches straight
-always be in control of your body(don't get wild)
-all the training is over with, have some fun in the ring, at the end of the day boxers chose to fight and believe me when I tell you it's easier to throw punches when your calm.

Hit the cardio beforehand, lots of pads and sparring too, that way you stay nice and sharp.
Then punch the guy in the face a bunch of times. That usually does the trick..

- Repeat 3 times.

thanks for the tips everyone now i am feeling more relaxed thanks

Well the fight is going to be in SEPTEMBER 11 and i am 5'9 going to fight in super welter ok bro i hope u can give me some more tips i will appreciate it

Head movement, keep your hands up, throw combos, and although it may sound strange, "remember to breath." The better your cardio, the better you will perform overall.

:icon_chee

Well the fight is going to be in SEPTEMBER 11 and i am 5'9 going to fight in super welter ok bro i hope u can give me some more tips i will appreciate it

Good to hear man. And you have a reasonable amount of time until the fight, which is good to get your cardio right. Make sure in your sparring that you spar with guys a bit shorter then you, but especially taller guys since you will occasionally run into a really tall beanpole type guy. You need to know how to get inside if you are at a height disadvantage, or how to box if you have the height advantage.

Honestly, lol, you already got too much advice.

Looking back at my first fight my problem was I thought about it too much - you can only think about one or two things your first time doing ANYTHING, and the biggest newbie mistake in everything is thinking about too much. It all went out the window anyways, and at the end of the day competing makes you all of a sudden, over night a lot better win or lose.

Back