tips for home gym ? HELP !

WALKERmma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi im thinking about making a home gym so i dont have to pay 2 gym memberships

only problem is i have very limited space so i was thinking about a bench with curl pad alot more free weights and a pull up bar

or i could spend abit more and buy an outhouse or woodern shed and have more room this would cost more and i would have to put mats down

if you've had any experience i would love to hear storys or video tours/pictures of your home gym with limited space aswell any recomendations for equipment would be great
thanks in advace !

dont get a curl pad.
Invest in a Squat / power Rack, quality barbell, bench and alot of plates.

hi im thinking about making a home gym so i dont have to pay 2 gym memberships

only problem is i have very limited space so i was thinking about a bench with curl pad alot more free weights and a pull up bar

or i could spend abit more and buy an outhouse or woodern shed and have more room this would cost more and i would have to put mats down

if you've had any experience i would love to hear storys or video tours/pictures of your home gym with limited space aswell any recomendations for equipment would be great
thanks in advace !

Hey,

I too deal with limited space, and I'd rather just be able to workout at home than having to drive to a gym every time I want to work out. I'd recommend buying a shed if you have the extra money for it. This is my home gym:

P1100116.jpg

As you can see, not much space. Like one of the above posters said, invest in a power rack, good barbell and some plates, this will last you a looooong time with a proper program. My list of equipment is as follows:

2 adjustable dumbells (design via Ross's II text)
Flat bench
Barbell
Roughly 350lb's of olympic plates
Power rack w/ pullup bar and dip arms
Sledge tire for sledgehammer swings (can see it in pic)
Homemade medicine ball
2" rope for rope pullups
Platform for reverse hypers (kinda hard to explain)
Keg for odd object lifting
Boxes for plyometrics
Weight vest
Pads to absorb the shock when doing burpee's, etc.
EZ curl bar (just bought this yesterday, used for accessory work)

This all fits along the side of my shed (to the right of the gym in the picture), and is easily accessible. I use the gym rain or shine, cold or hot. Any questions just ask here or shoot me a PM.

thanks i will proberbly go for the shed option my rooms just to small
good pic and thanks for reply

First things first, get a bar and 400 lb of weight. Doesn't take up much room. Then, work on getting a squat rack and then a bench.

If you are handy at all you can build a power rack for fairly cheap if you can't find a used one. That is what I plan on doing. I found a bench, barbell, and plates on Craigslist for $125 less than 1 hour drive from my house. The power rack is all I am lacking.

Sorry no pics.

This is what my father built, maybe you'll get some ideas. not alot of room. Just room enough to lift and get out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is what my father built, maybe you'll get some ideas. not alot of room. Just room enough to lift and get out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do you happen to have some pictures of your J-hooks? I'm not too happy with the ones that I made.

just to let you no guys ive gone with the shed and am looking for epuiptment :)

Ross training has some cool ways to build excercise equipment.Its worth checking out.

If i was to build a home gym all i would get is:

1. Power rack
2. Barbell
3. Plates
4. Bench
5. Mirror to check form
6. Adjustable bench

and that would be about it...

I can do almost everything with those. But i also train 2-4 times per week and my coach makes me do sledge hammer work, tired throws etc in training so i dont need that stuff for home.

If i was to build a home gym all i would get is:

1. Power rack
2. Barbell
3. Plates
4. Bench
5. Mirror to check form
6. Adjustable bench

I wouldn't worry about 5 and 6. I haven't used an adjustable bench in over a year, and you're better off using a Camera or a lifting partner to check form.

If there's room, I'd consider building a lifting platform, and stands for rack pulls or bottom position squats. Especially since it's a relatively easy DIY, and it's help the barbell last longer, which would be important if it's of any quality. Chains and Bands would also be a good addition, since it wouldn't cost much, and they can add a lot of variation, while still focusing on the main lifts, and bands are also good for various prehab exercises. A decent pair of collars, and a crappy pair of spring collars because they're good to attach chains to. And a prowler.

I could keep adding various things...and if I had a home gym, I probably would add other stuff overtime. But with that I could probably do 99% of what I want to do.

I love a good ol set of plates and a barbell with a rack with dip arms, and a pull up bar that is sufficient. I like Keyboard's home gym it's complete.

Power rack, barbell, kettlebells, pull-up bar and your own bodyweight.
Dip station somewhere...

I have couple of kettlebells, TRXish suspension rings and a pull-up bar.
Don't have too much room for anything else.

Back