Tips for a competing white belt

Pontigoose

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I've been training Jiu jitsu for a few months, and I am completely consumed. In the next few months I am going to compete just to see how I will fair against other people around my level. I'm not expecting to win as I am still a lower level white belt, but I'm just curious to hear what you experienced grapplers would consider effective moves/techniques to train to use in a white belt tournament. My coach tells me just to train everything, and get good at two guard passes, and being able to advance positions. Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks!

For your first tournament, basically forget about going out there and submitting your opponent. You will hit a huge adrenaline dump.

Focus on scoring position, maintain control, and BREATHING. Even if you are in phenomenal shape in the gym/sparring, you will be winded and feel like your mouth is full of cotton balls within the first 20 seconds of your match, just be ready for that. Pace yourself, and remain calm and clear-minded (much easier said than done! Being in your first tournament is like being a sock in the laundry, you won't even remember or know what just happened).

Oh, and time WILL seem to go by either REALLY fast during the match, or agonizingly slow. Other than that, try learn as much as you can.

PS) Where ya from in BC man, are you going to the CBJJF Winter Classic to compete in Feb?

develop a game plan, even if it's just pull guard, sweep (pick a specific sweep), pass (specific pass), to submission.

i wouldn't say one sweep is better than the other, or one takedown is better than the other, just focus on getting better at what you already know.

but yeah, have a gameplan going in.

I would say just go out and have fun for your first competition

Don't over exert yourself, Its very easy to gas out and best to just try and stay as calm as possible, keep it simple (play the game you know, dont get fancy) and remember to breathe.

Don't over exert yourself, Its very easy to gas out and best to just try and stay as calm as possible, keep it simple (play the game you know, dont get fancy) and remember to breathe.

Definitely remember to breathe, I found myself holding my breath during certain positions I don't normally freak out in at the gym.

For your first tournament, basically forget about going out there and submitting your opponent. You will hit a huge adrenaline dump.

Focus on scoring position, maintain control, and BREATHING. Even if you are in phenomenal shape in the gym/sparring, you will be winded and feel like your mouth is full of cotton balls within the first 20 seconds of your match, just be ready for that. Pace yourself, and remain calm and clear-minded (much easier said than done! Being in your first tournament is like being a sock in the laundry, you won't even remember or know what just happened).

Oh, and time WILL seem to go by either REALLY fast during the match, or agonizingly slow. Other than that, try learn as much as you can.

PS) Where ya from in BC man, are you going to the CBJJF Winter Classic to compete in Feb?

Vernon BC & Vancouver (Van for school) I'm considering that or Katana man. You competing?

your game plan is to get the kimura grip.

takedown? DWL

reversal? DWL

pass? DWL

escape? DWL

submission? DWL

First competition is time for getting used to the adrenaline surge - medals at white belt don't mean much in the grand scheme of things, although it's nice to get one.

Vernon BC & Vancouver (Van for school) I'm considering that or Katana man. You competing?

The Katana Cup probably. This Vernon one is for some reason Gi only and only open to 200 people this time [something about only being able to rent the venue for a short amount of time]...there's always at LEAST 100 or more kids alone of these CBJJF tournaments [I've been to almost all the ones they've held since 2013 started]. It'll probably be like 120 kids, about 20 teens, and then the rest white belt adults, plus a handfull of females.

There's usually only a couple other Purple Belts that are in the bigger ones (Western Canadian, Summer Classic) and with this 200 person cap I doubt there will even be many blues going.
So Imma skip it. But we should totally meet up sometime! Best of luck to you.

Get your cardio in line, roll hard and practice not stopping when in bad positions (mentally or physically stopping), and have a plan for the first 30 seconds. Knowing how you want to start will help a lot with nerves and will give you a huge leg up other white belts, most of whom will have no plan whatsoever. Even if it's 'pull guard, try to get to closed guard, and go for the scissor sweep' just having a plan will give you a huge leg up. Practice executing your match starting plan over and over against different size and stance partners in the gym.

And do a long warm up. Like 30 minutes of moderate activity. You won't tire yourself out (believe me), and it'll really help with the adrenaline dump.

Hey guys! So I've been training Jiu jitsu for a few months, and I am completely consumed. In the next few months I am going to compete just to see how I will fair against other people around my level. I'm not expecting to win as I am still a lower level white belt, but I'm just curious to hear what you experienced grapplers would consider effective moves/techniques to train to use in a white belt tournament. My coach tells me just to train everything, and get good at two guard passes, and being able to advance positions. Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Generally speaking, almost everyone loses their first comp. Its only natural since you would be competing with people who have been training for 1-2 years including some who are already blue belt level.

I don't know. For me, you learn a lot regardless of win or lose at every competition. For my first one, I just made sure I knew enough sweeps and subs from the basic positions (side control, half guard, full guard, back mount, mount etc.) and to remind myself to keep moving constantly. Seriously, my first match flew by and I can't even remember how I managed to eek out a win. I did remember I had fun though and I did learn my armbar defense was lacking (guess how I learnt that lol). Also, if you are favor being on top, make sure you know at least how to time a double or single leg at the very least. I hate guard pullers lol.

The Katana Cup probably. This Vernon one is for some reason Gi only and only open to 200 people this time [something about only being able to rent the venue for a short amount of time]...there's always at LEAST 100 or more kids alone of these CBJJF tournaments [I've been to almost all the ones they've held since 2013 started]. It'll probably be like 120 kids, about 20 teens, and then the rest white belt adults, plus a handfull of females.

There's usually only a couple other Purple Belts that are in the bigger ones (Western Canadian, Summer Classic) and with this 200 person cap I doubt there will even be many blues going.
So Imma skip it. But we should totally meet up sometime! Best of luck to you.

Sounds good man let me know when you plan on competing next !

Don't get sucked into the chaos of competition and the fear of not knowing what your opponent is going to bring to the table. Remember, all the "fear" or nervousness you feel when you look at your opponent, they feel the same thing when they look back at you.

Focus on controlling that mental chaos, focus on what you know you are good at, and do that..if you play your game and it happens to get shut down, your opponent is probably good enough to beat you if you go into defensive mode too.

Back