Tips at start of rolling againest heavier guys?

LODD2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good tips preferably begineer tips on how to start rolling? As in, after you smack fist and clap hands and bow, how do you guys start out? I recently tried doing open guard and as a newbie, it doesn't work too well because I don't know many techniques to keep them inside an open guard, so most heavier partners I roll with just take the side. I also try have one leg up as in one leg planted on ground and the other leg back behind it, that seems to work better, but not too much againest heavier people ( I am talking about 30 pounds heavier +), anyone got tips on how to establish a dominant position at the start?

You don't want to play bottom against a heavier guy. In general, they are going to handle you every time unless you are a good deal better than them, regardless of tactics.

Hmm, yea, its sometimes hard though, they are the ones generally wanting a top position, and being so much heavier than me, I just try to pull guard. Any tips at the start when their position is the same as mine (stated in OP).

Grab the sleeves and go to spider guard or armdrag and try to take the back.

Continuous preassure from the bottom. When a big guy gets a dominant position, and he will, don't let him settle his weight completly...Push his throat, head, wiggle the hips, make him work the top position as much as you can.

Big guys have a hard time moving and he will get tired and lose his ballance.

I'm 220 and often have a hard time with lightweights

Continuous preassure from the bottom. When a big guy gets a dominant position, and he will, don't let him settle his weight completly...Push his throat, head, wiggle the hips, make him work the top position as much as you can.

Big guys have a hard time moving and he will get tired and lose his ballance.

I'm 220 and often have a hard time with lightweights

Thanks for advice everyone, as for ^, yea, thats a good idea, but it just seems that every heavy weight I go againest are wrestlers, (like past 4-5 people I rolled, 3-4 are wrestlers)

Get on top if possible, or arm drag for the back. If you end up on your back a good rule of thumb I've always been told is to keep big guys far away, and keep little guys in close and tight.

you can play guard, just break you opponent's posture and he won't be able to pass, keep his head down and look for the sweep when he makes a mistake... EASY!!!

Grab the sleeves and go to spider guard or armdrag and try to take the back.

this, also i have a pretty good percentage getting butterfly hook sweeps on bigger buys because they are usually slower, and since they are bigger and heavier they feel less worried about getting swept by a little guy.

Get on top if possible, or arm drag for the back. If you end up on your back a good rule of thumb I've always been told is to keep big guys far away, and keep little guys in close and tight.

definitely putting this advice to the test when I get back on the mat. Sounds good though.

just do whatever you think your weakness is, or you want to work on?

if you think your weakness might be using speed against a stronger guy then try to end up on top.

or if you think you are worse at keeping bigger guys in guard or surviving from the bottom then just pull guard.

if you suck at everything then just dont worry, and practise everything situation you end up in.

i wouldnt think of it as something bad, rather that the big guy is your training partner and he is giving you an opportunity to practise against him. hes not your enemy hes your team mate, you could ask him for advice too.

You don't want to play bottom against a heavier guy. In general, they are going to handle you every time unless you are a good deal better than them, regardless of tactics.

Both of these are great answers. Start here and see how that works out (probably still poorly, but at least you're doing the right thing :D )

Poke fun at their weight and if they fall down in sadness take the back

I think I am always the lighter guy when rolling, and im always outweight by 10 kilos at least, I dont like the top game, I will much rather play guard and go for sweeps, I try to have fun while im rolling and I simply dont like to start on top, but I think I have to work on my guard passing, so this will be changing soon...

drags are great for you to get on top or take the back as mentioned earlier. Most of the time, the person will opt to take bottom than give up the back, so there you are. If you're starting from your knees and he doesn't want to play guard, grap his upper left collar with your right hand and then push it left while blocking his knee. It's a knee pick from the butt or knees. Last, if you want to play top, you could ask your training partner. It's just training.

Watch competition footage of Jeff Glover, Marcello Garcia, Cobrinha, Otavio Sousa (not that small). They all have different styles and hold their own against big dudes.

just don't let heavy guys get you flat on your back. i'm 150 and roll with guys up to 250 -300. always try to get on top or the back, like others have said. however, bigger guys will eventually get on top or side and will use their weight to lay in on you, so don't lay flat on your back, if possible. turn to your side and try to regain half guard then work your legs to butterfly, create space, then get spider guard, then sweep or take the back.

If the heavier guy is 'obese', i usually let him tire himself out in guard by just breaking his posture. If he's trying to break my guard with pressuring his elbow in my thigh, I usually go up for the gi choke and he then goes to protect his neck. So when he tires, that's when I go for sweeps.

If the heavier guy is 'muscular', I go for sweeps right away and try to get the dominant position

Back