Tips against kickers

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by abgmma, Feb 6, 2016.

1. abgmma

abgmma Orange Belt

First of all, I'm a southpaw and i have great confidence in my ability to punch with anyone even a Pro. My stance is nearly the same as Mcgregor's (Wide or if you want call it karate stance) which gives me good distance to see punches coming But my problem really start when i face a good kicker especially a taekwondo fighter with good boxing . Usually i can block most of them but when someone start feinting me or trowing alot of kicks i end up eating them all and getting beat up lol . The main kicks i have trouble with are spinning back kicks and roundhouse kicks (including high kicks) I would like to get tips from you guys on how to handle a good kicker (ways i can evade using angles or how to block them it doesn't matter) Thanks anyway :)

2. Kanka

Kanka Brown Belt

Catch them

3. Julius_Caesar

Julius_Caesar Brown Belt

Blocking should be main priority over catching. Unless your being sarcastic. Never know with some people on this forum.

4. Muay o Muay

Muay o Muay Purple Belt

...And evading should be main priority over blocking ;)

But seriously whether you evade/block/catch make sure you counter with your own kick or a heavy straight/overhand punch!..also utilize the teep to the body/thigh when they go to kick!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    Wander777 and Julius_Caesar like this.
  5. abgmma

abgmma Orange Belt

I don't think catching is a great idea against a fast kicker.
    In terms of blocking, it is very hard to block leg kicks with a wide stance. Head kicks can sometimes be blocked but against a fast opponent who feint and switch from a kick to another it won't work .
    As for evading i think it works against spinning kicks i don't know.
    Anyway, What about bullrushing him every time he lift his leg? Is it a good or bad idea? If i will eat the kick either way i find it more helpful to make him taste some punches in return

6. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Doesn't need to be first priority, but catches can certainly make the kicker really pick his shots better for fear of a catch-counter/dump.

7. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    You shouldn't be worrying so much on how you're going to defend the kick so much as how you can stop him throwing the kick. If you're good at catching the kicks then you need to be able to counter well to put him off throwing them.

The main thing you should focus on is backing him up with punches, make sure to walk him down with lateral footwork, keep feinting before throwing punches and keep him moving backwards, because the second he is on the front foot and you're on the back foot, you become vulnerable to his kicks. If you're on the back foot you can walk him into your punches, but when you're against a good kicker you want to press the pace.

The best example I can think of is Fedor Emelianenko, who was a very good striker, but more focussed on grappling, walking CroCop backwards to prevent the kick from being thrown.

So in short, make sure you're ready to defend punches as you walk forward and counter the kicks, and keep him on the backfoot.

parrythehate likes this.
  8. Hypetrainhipsta

Hypetrainhipsta Blue Belt

Try to get your lead foot outside of his lead foot and try to throw fast lead leg roundhouse kicks, try hitting his lead leg calf, do the same when he's kicking, maybe you'll have to change your stance a little bitarrow up your stance a bit and try to square your hips up a little more and your lead leg roundhouse kicks should have more power.
    Taekwondo fighter with good boxing are always hard to deal with, in MT you can always use the clinch, but if it's just kickboxing it's always going to be a little bit tricky, if you think that you're the better boxer than you should try to keep the fight in the boxing range.

9. UWanaPlayDaGame

UWanaPlayDaGame Purple Belt

it is a great idea if you're willing to eat some kicks in order to close the distance. but you're still gonna have to check. do it walking forward meeting the kick midway and you'll land close with him off balance. that's what Nieky Holzken did to Raymond Daniels which completely shut down RD's spinning kick attack.

main thing is you have to make the guy pay for throwing kicks. avoid getting hit flush and throw something back while he's off balance. it sounds easy.

10. Xplosive-Viking

Xplosive-Viking Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You should train tae kwon do to be good at defending tae kwon do ;)

11. Blazeblack

Blazeblack Blue Belt

Try checking some of those, it's done wonders for me.

12. ZroC

ZroC Silver Belt

Jab to distract them.
    Feint with your feet.
    Let them kick and miss. Turn their strength into a weakness by letting them know there will be punishment if they kick and miss.

Combine these and you will have an opponent more afraid to throw a kick than you are to take one.