Tipping

I hate that you are expected to tip for everything. If you do a good job, tip. Mediocre job = no tip.
Shoot, as a student I'd be thrilled if someone tipped me $5 to listen to their heart and lungs and check their reflexes.

How the fuck can the mayberry be so fuckin puzzled about tipping

several threads about the same damn thing.

It's part of the cost of the meal.

this is how i have always seen tipping.

i consider it a part of my overall meal. i mean yes...if the service is absolute garbage and there is a hair in my meal, then they won't receive a tip from me. but if my waiter has a smile on his face, and i receive my food in a reasonable amount of time, then they get a tip.

i've never understood why tipping is such a sensitive issue.

I tip 15%-20% for restaurant table service, bartenders, barbers, delivered food, and massage therapists (if they're good).

I do not generally tip on any take out or to go food, and I don't tip at any food service establishment where I ordered from a counter and picked up my food at a counter.

I have worked in tip reliant jobs and non tipping jobs (busser, expediter/runner, chef) in restaurants when I was younger. In my opinion the only thing that is even somewhat controvesial is whether or not you tip on take out. Personally I think it makes no sense to tip on take out.

this is how i have always seen tipping.

i consider it a part of my overall meal. i mean yes...if the service is absolute garbage and there is a hair in my meal, then they won't receive a tip from me. but if my waiter has a smile on his face, and i receive my food in a reasonable amount of time, then they get a tip.

i've never understood why tipping is such a sensitive issue.

It's an issue because, at least in America, it is viewed as mandatory. A tip for a job well done is fine. No problems with that. And as I've stated in other threads, I tend to tip very well. My problem is the idea that it is socially mandatory and people feel the need to tip even the worst servers. It's sad.

I'll tip a barber for a good haircut, and a cab driver for getting me where I need to be in timely fashion, safely. I'll even tip at a coffee shop if they make the coffee fast in a busy spot. But if any of those instances is unpleasant in a manner that the serving party could have avoided, they don't get tipped. Same thing for restaurants. We're supposed to feel sorry for people making ~2 bucks an hour, but as I've said before, no one forced them to take that job with those shit wages. Want better guaranteed pay? Get a better job. Fuck, get a job with minimum wage.

And before anyone accuses me of not tipping, I went out to lunch today and the check came out to 11.58, and I dropped a 20. Not much money, but over 70% for the tip, if my math is correct.

I've dropped 300 bucks on 200 dollar bar tabs when I'm out with the guys.

I tip just fine, assuming the service is good. If it's not, I don't tip shit.

I have worked in tip reliant jobs and non tipping jobs (busser, expediter/runner, chef) in restaurants when I was younger. In my opinion the only thing that is even somewhat controvesial is whether or not you tip on take out. Personally I think it makes no sense to tip on take out.

I'll tip on takeout if I know for a fact that the cooks get a cut. In fact, for take out, cooks should get the entire tip.

Unless you go above and beyond I'm not tipping, why should I? I don't own the business so it shouldn't be my job to pay the help.

I'll tip on takeout if I know for a fact that the cooks get a cut. In fact, for take out, cooks should get the entire tip.

If I ever ran into an establishment that gave 100% of takeout tips, or any decent % at all, to the kitchen staff I would start tipping on takeout.

I've honestly never encountered a single place that did that.

I tip 15%-20% for restaurant table service, bartenders, barbers, delivered food, and massage therapists (if they're good).

I do not generally tip on any take out or to go food, and I don't tip at any food service establishment where I ordered from a counter and picked up my food at a counter.

i agree. however, if you dont tip, the person who rings it up gets screwed. for example, at my last restaurant job, the bartender rang up the meal and the food would be taken to the bar where the customer would pick it up. well, the bartender has to ring that up under their sales. so they need to claim a percentage (here it was 8% of sales) of their sales to be taxed on. additionally, they would tip out bussers and runners based on their overall sales. therefore a zero tip on take out means that bartender had to pay out of their own pocket to get you that meal

imagine if police expected tips

i agree. however, if you dont tip, the person who rings it up gets screwed. for example, at my last restaurant job, the bartender rang up the meal and the food would be taken to the bar where the customer would pick it up. well, the bartender has to ring that up under their sales. so they need to claim a percentage (here it was 8% of sales) of their sales to be taxed on. additionally, they would tip out bussers and runners based on their overall sales. therefore a zero tip on take out means that bartender had to pay out of their own pocket to get you that meal

I worked at several places where the bussers and expeditors were tipped a % of total tips of the servers. Take out was wrung up differently and never counted towards those gross figures for the purposes of tipping out.

Also, the vast majority of bartenders and servers I worked with would NEVER report cash tips so the bussers and expeditors always got the shaft because they only received a % of credit card tips. I suppose the total sales tactic is a way to get around that behaviour now, but it comes with other drawbacks.

People need to stop getting bent over and screwed by their employers. Servers are complaining about getting screwed out of their tips by customers because of tip pooling/sharing with other employees? No, you are getting screwed by your boss.

The customers ONLY job is to visit your establishment, and pay the price on the menu.

The servers job is to provide prompt and courteous delivery of food when asked by the customer.

Anything else is above and beyond what should be expected. If you KNOW you are forcing your server to work beyond what the average customer is getting in terms of service, then definitely I would say it is good to leave a tip. But there is no way I can justify 10%/15%/20% tips on sitting down, ordering a cheese burger/fries/iced tea, enjoying my meal in silence, and leaving the establishment in a relatively clean state.

I do not order special "customer" orders. I order straight from the menu and pick off what I don't like. I do not expect my glass to be re-filled the moment it is below half full. I don't want to be checked up on every few minutes. I want you to bring my simple order to the kitchen, then bring my food back to me, and go away. For this, I don't see any reason to tip.

Fight your employers. Tell them to pay you normal minimum wage.

Don't expect me to pay your wage for you, when your job isn't that difficult when you are serving me. I am not a difficult customer. You don't even need to write down my order. Takes all of 5 minutes. And you want an extra 15%-20%? Cheeseburger/Fries/Iced Tea around here is probably $10.00. 15% is 1.50. That means that you value your service on my visit at $18.00 per hour of work, + your guaranteed wage on top of that.

Sorry, but your service wasn't worth that for me. On a $100 bill, you want $20? I would rather just serve myself. This is my biggest issue really. I know I would get better service serving myself, and it would be cheaper. You are forcing me to pay you MORE money, for crappier service than I could deliver for myself.

Things like hairdressers, I tip them well, because that is a service I can not do for myself. Hairdressing is not unskilled labor. They go to expensive school and expensive ongoing training for that, and many of them also have to pay in order to work in their salons. They deserve my tip.

I would happily bring my order to the kitchen staff, pick up my order when called, refill my own drinks etc if I could in a restaurant. I don't want or need your "How is everything? Can I get you anything?" It usually interrupts whatever I am doing at the moment, and I find it quite annoying.

I worked at several places where the bussers and expeditors were tipped a % of total tips of the servers. Take out was wrung up differently and never counted towards those gross figures for the purposes of tipping out.

Also, the vast majority of bartenders and servers I worked with would NEVER report cash tips so the bussers and expeditors always got the shaft because they only received a % of credit card tips. I suppose the total sales tactic is a way to get around that behaviour now, but it comes with other drawbacks.

obviously its different in different places. at my last place you tipped out the bussers and runners on total SALES. at the end of the night you printed your report. you cant lie on the sales total. so the bussers got 3% of the total sales and the runners 2%. it didnt matter if i made $20 or $200. you could give more if you wanted, but not less.

in nevada you had to claim 8% of your total sales as tips. so nobody would claim the true amount, they just tried to hover around the 8% mark. of course after tipping out the bar, runner and busser, 8% was sometimes about what you really made. its bs that a restaurant would have servers tip out on reported tips when they know everyone lies on that.

as for the ringing up, again, different places. my last place was the bar. i had other where a server would ring it up. it is bs because they had to claim the sales.

I tip but just because I live in America, and this is the "norm" in the society where I live, just like paying taxes, or paying insurance for your car, well to me its the same shit, at restaurants you just tip 15% and thats it, honestly I have a MUCH GREATER fucking problem with paying thousands in insurance for my car than paying a couple extra dollars for a fucking tip. As far as the "oh you are just a sheep, you have to make a statement" dude fuck your making a statement, if you are bitching because you have to leave a couple extra bucks for your server you really need to get a fucking better life, there is 1000 more important and worthy things in life to fight about than leaving a fucking tip!

I tip but just because I live in America, and this is the "norm" in the society where I live, just like paying taxes, or paying insurance for your car, well to me its the same shit, at restaurants you just tip 15% and thats it, honestly I have a MUCH GREATER fucking problem with paying thousands in insurance for my car than paying a couple extra dollars for a fucking tip. As far as the "oh you are just a sheep, you have to make a statement" dude fuck your making a statement, if you are bitching because you have to leave a couple extra bucks for your server you really need to get a fucking better life, there is 1000 more important and worthy things in life to fight about than leaving a fucking tip!

It's funny. You have to tip some spoiled, unskilled, dip shit who took at most maybe 1-2 minutes to get your order and bring it to you and if you don't, well "something just might happen to your food next time you come around!" Pretty pathetic ideology if you ask me.

Ask those people in a hospital or nursing home making minimum wage, who have to shower, clean and feed the elderly and sick how much they get in tips for their honest, hard work.

I left a tip on the table the other day and the waitress brought me the money as I was leaving the restaurant.

I've finally accepted that this is not a tipping culture.

Back