Tipping

I go out of my way to tip extra pretty much at any restaurant or hair place. But that's where it ends. Tipping at Starbucks is out of the question. And where most people don't, I would feel awkward even doing it.

Here's a weird thing, though. My wife and I like to order Outback to go. It's convenient because you can throw on some flip flops and a sweatshirt, and they bring it out to the car. They expect tips, though. And I try to be nice, and I use their curbside pickup usually a good once a month, so I tip well to keep relations friendly. But to be honest, I don't know why I need to tip them like any other waiter. They run me food, I leave. I see them twice—they give me the food, and then they bring me back my card. And what's worse, they constantly screw up the condiments for my food. I mean if you drop 80 dollars on a meal, I don't feel bad asking for a few little cups of A1 sauce and sour cream. Bit I tip liberally anyway because I'd rather feel too generous than too cheap. And they're desperate about it these people. Like in the little leather wallet thing where you sign your bill, they put pictures of their nieces and nephews and whatnot. Strange stuff.

i usually tip 20% or over, unless the service sucks. i go out to eat on weekend nights... i think it sucks to have to work a fri/sat/sun night (even though i do it all the time), so i think its a deserved 20%. even most of us that work on the weekends do not work weekend nights.

I go out of my way to tip extra pretty much at any restaurant or hair place. But that's where it ends. Tipping at Starbucks is out of the question. And where most people don't, I would feel awkward even doing it.

Here's a weird thing, though. My wife and I like to order Outback to go. It's convenient because you can throw on some flip flops and a sweatshirt, and they bring it out to the car. They expect tips, though. And I try to be nice, and I use their curbside pickup usually a good once a month, so I tip well to keep relations friendly. But to be honest, I don't know why I need to tip them like any other waiter. They run me food, I leave. I see them twice

If I frequent the place ill tip if theres a jar or something, I always tip good at restaurants unless they really sucked. If they were good ill tip at least 25-30%, they always remember you and you always get great service.

If im at a restauraunt,I tip because its the nice thing to do.They bring you your food,check on you,and bring you the bill.

If you work at subway,and you have a change bucket,i'll drop some change.Sometimes.Half the time.every now and then.yeah.

Ok,I'm in agreement that these threads get brought up too much,and should start getting merged, but I just wanted to comment on the bold above.

That's exactly what their job is. it's in the job description of wait staff.

I agree with this, but I don't feel strongly enough to be a dick and stiff people on the tip. I don't work in the food industry but I do have to deal with people, and I realize how frustrating that can be. I tip much better now after working in a job where I deal with assholes every day.
I'm very pleasant and am a pretty fair tipper (15-20%). I just can't stand the system.

People just can't pass up the opportunity to drop in to complain that they've had a certain conversation on this site before. I guess there's no better place to piss and moan. That's why I love Sherdog.

Tipping makes sense but its gotten out of control. I go to Mary Browns a fast food place and when I pay with debit or visa it asks do I want to add tip. Why the fuck should I tip somone in fast food joint who is doing their job and is not doing anything extra for me, jesus most time they don't even get your order right. Fuck that shit

People just can't pass up the opportunity to drop in to complain that they've had a certain conversation on this site before. I guess there's no better place to piss and moan. That's why I love Sherdog.

this exact thread was started 1 week ago and got 500+ comments.

there is a search function.

i actually dont go to sonic because of the tipping. i dont feel i should be tipping at a fast food place. but even if you go to the drive thru, they tell you to pull forward so someone has to deliver it for you and i feel obligated to tip $1.

no way man. that thread was about a foreigner learning how to tip in the states. completely separate topic

I hate that you are expected to tip for everything. If you do a good job, tip. Mediocre job = no tip.

It's part of the cost of the meal. We could go Euro where there's rarely a tip but you have a service charge included in the price, I've never found that I get worse service in Europe than in the US. I typically don't tip outside of restaurant settings, other than when I get my hair cut or a little on cab rides.

When did it start becoming expected (in some circles) to leave a tip for hotel maids? I agree their job sucks, but lots of jobs suck and I don't tip those people.

Not on my screen there isn't. And I prefer to waste my time participating in a discussion, not reading someone else's. Regardless, it's pretty easy to skip over a topic when it pops up on the first page.

Back