Tipping

Dr J

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
How do you feel about tipping and the food industry? I've been getting more and more aggravated with tipping as of late. EVERYONE expects tips...people working at coffee shops, smoothie stores, bars, Subway, hair salons, etc. Not only do you have to pay over the top for a sandwich or cup of coffee, but people are now expected to pay for the people making it. I tip regularly because I understand they make their money off of tips and feel like a cheapskate if I don't, but I'm with Steve Buscemi on this one. It's complete crap. A tip was supposed to be a gratuitous gesture, and now some restaurants include it into your bill. I have to pay the guy bringing me a steak more than the guy bringing me a hamburger because I ordered a more expensive meal? Pretty ridiculous.

Oh dear.... Inb4 shit storm, lock, wasteland/dump, or thread deleted.

There was a thread about this last week and it got kinda weird.

tumblr_mexpafJ5851rouyxzo1_500.gif

Edit: Dammit TS...

There has to be hundreds of threads on this topic. And that Mr. Pink clip is in every one of those threads.

It does seem to get out of hand like subway or dunkin donuts having tip jars, but I don't mind tipping 20-25 percent for good service at a restaurant

I ALWAYS tip 20%. And if I feel the person deserves it, I'll give it more.

But I've also been a waiter for the past 5 years

It does seem to get out of hand like subway or dunkin donuts having tip jars, but I don't mind tipping 20-25 percent for good service at a restaurant

Tip jars at places like that don't bother me. I just ignore them.

i am not aware of restaurants including the tip in the bill unless it is for large parties, which i can understand. and a tip is not required. even if it is included in the bill, you can refuse to pay it. that said, this has been discussed to death in these forums. shortly the euros will come in here and say how stupid americans are for this paractice, servers will come in here and say how they bust their ass for no money, and the hipsters/trolls/losers will come in here and say they dont give shit. if the servers want a good wage, go find a job that doesnt rely on tips

it was kinda funny though. my wife is hispanic and went with a party of hispanics to a buffet a few weeks ago. there were like 10 of them and at buffets you pay before you sit down. well they charged the tip as part of the bill and my wife thought it was because they were hispanic. on a side note, i tip well at regular restaurants, but buffets its a lot less.

If I'm at like subway or something, I won't because they get paid hourly. But if the persons job depends on tips or I'm getting my haircut/massage or something that takes awhile I'll tip

If im at a restauraunt,I tip because its the nice thing to do.They bring you your food,check on you,and bring you the bill.

If you work at subway,and you have a change bucket,i'll drop some change.Sometimes.Half the time.every now and then.yeah.

I guess it became much more heated than I would have expected.
I find waiters and waitresses get very defensive when tipping is brought up. It's not that I think they should be paid below minimum wage and let tips just be an occasional thing. Restaurants should pay their employees, not the customers. I find it funny though that gratuity, which is something given without demand, is now expected and sometimes required.

I generally only tip waiters and waitresses because they make less hourly.

Those people at coffee/smoothie shops are getting at least minimum wage.

I find waiters and waitresses get very defensive when tipping is brought up. It's not that I think they should be paid below minimum wage and let tips just be an occasional thing. Restaurants should pay their employees, not the customers. I find it funny though that gratuity, which is something given without demand, is now expected and sometimes required.

I agree with this, but I don't feel strongly enough to be a dick and stiff people on the tip. I don't work in the food industry but I do have to deal with people, and I realize how frustrating that can be. I tip much better now after working in a job where I deal with assholes every day.

when i was a waiter at a nice restaurant, i hated it when some customers would tip the busser. like they would hand it specifically to them and that meant we split the tip. i wanted to say something to them like "you know we tip them out at the end of the night." we had to give them a percentage of our sales regardless of what we made in tips

Back