Tipping

Oh, and btw TS, if the service is God awful then the custom in to leave a penny as a tip just so they know that you didn't simply forget, it's just how much you thought they deserved.

I don't know how it works in the US but in Canada servers get paid below minimum wage, so tips are important to servers.. Don't be cheap.

same in the US.

every server in the united states would quit on a dime if we decided to end tipping and pay them bullshit minimum wage.

servers make decent money, and it's not a fun job at all. lots of stress, because people ARE working hard for tips. no one's going to deal with demanding customers for peanuts. when i delivered pizza, $15 dollars an hour was an average night. My server friends always made a lot more. If you told me i was going to start making $7.50 one day, I'd say:

So what's going to happen is

a) they're going to have to hire Johnny and Janey Teenager because no self-respecting human is going to stick around after you decimate their income. Having incompetent, apathetic workers isn't going to do business much good, so they're going to have to raise the wages to attract functional employees, and in turn...

b) employers would make up for the hit on their end by increasing prices on all food items again (by this point, the prices have already been raised to adjust paying employees minimum wage). you're going to start getting charged for every refill, all the extra condiments and special orders because servers won't have any incentive not to and employers are going to want every cent they can get. servers give you breaks on this shit for a reason. if their money is guaranteed, see how hard they try to please you.

my best guess is everyone would end their delivery service, because no one would want to spend money to make $7.50. the owners will have to purchase a vehicle along with having to constantly fill the tank up, and that's either not going to be worth it or the losses are going to be reflected, again, in the cost of the food items.

you guys don't really understand how undesirable the effect would be if we got rid of tipping. after all is said and done, the complainers are complaining about paying what would amount to an extra buck or two for a service. don't want to tip? order take out.

i've never met a man that was anti-tipping that wasn't also cheap as all hell. don't act like this is about something other than your unwillingness to part with a few bucks.

Last edited:
Credit card tips are definitely taxed but most servers don't report their cash tips.

they do, but they generally only report a pathetic percentage of it. I've never heard of a server getting audited, so i guess everything is kosher that way.

they do, but they generally only report a pathetic percentage of it. I've never heard of a server getting audited, so i guess everything is kosher that way.

The IRS knows it would be a big waste of time.

I feel awful if I have no actual cash and have to add it onto the bill.

The IRS knows it would be a big waste of time.

yeah. it must cost a lot to audit. there must be a ridiculous amount of money, between all tipped employees, that doesn't get reported.

some of these people work like 60-70 hour weeks and if they're reporting peanuts, i can imagine they're not reporting upwards of 20-30k in tips. that doesn't seem insignificant to me, especially since it happens thousands of times over every year...

but again, i never heard of a server getting audited. it's not like they don't know about it either.

I know one waitress who was audited.

She was getting a huge EIC refund because she had 3 kids. The thing was her baby daddy had a pretty successful roofing business and they lived in a nice house and she drove a Range Rover.

Know way she should have been getting EIC but since they weren't married she was legally qualified.

I would much rather prefer tips included on the bill, the way it is in Europe.

Sometimes I tip more than 20% and these people still look at you like you were ungrateful of their 'fantastic' service. So I can never win, I always tip more than I should, or I tip less and look like a fucking cheapskate.

I was in houston this year, and i was very worried about tipping... i always tipped like 20%, but 80% of the time i got the same look like if i was a cheap or something and that pissed me off sometimes....

I know one waitress who was audited.

She was getting a huge EIC refund because she had 3 kids. The thing was her baby daddy had a pretty successful roofing business and they lived in a nice house and she drove a Range Rover.

Know way she should have been getting EIC but since they weren't married she was legally qualified.

so there was no actual tax evasion? she was able to afford that shit via child support and tips?

so there was no actual tax evasion? she was able to afford that shit via child support and tips?

Her baby daddy made good money. Since they weren't legally married she could get the EIC. Even though they lived together and had kids.

PA doesn't common law marriage.

Her baby daddy made good money. Since they weren't legally married she could get the EIC. Even though they lived together and had kids.

PA doesn't common law marriage.

oh duh. i was under the impression the baby daddy wasn't still with her.

Only tip for good service, there is no requirement.

It isn't your job to pay their salary.

Don't forget that the waiters have to pay the bus boys a portion of their tips.

same in the US.

every server in the united states would quit on a dime if we decided to end tipping and pay them bullshit minimum wage.

servers make decent money, and it's not a fun job at all. lots of stress, because people ARE working hard for tips. no one's going to deal with demanding customers for peanuts. when i delivered pizza, $15 dollars an hour was an average night. My server friends always made a lot more. If you told me i was going to start making $7.50 one day, I'd say:

So what's going to happen is

a) they're going to have to hire Johnny and Janey Teenager because no self-respecting human is going to stick around after you decimate their income. Having incompetent, apathetic workers isn't going to do business much good, so they're going to have to raise the wages to attract functional employees, and in turn...

b) employers would make up for the hit on their end by increasing prices on all food items again (by this point, the prices have already been raised to adjust paying employees minimum wage). you're going to start getting charged for every refill, all the extra condiments and special orders because servers won't have any incentive not to and employers are going to want every cent they can get. servers give you breaks on this shit for a reason. if their money is guaranteed, see how hard they try to please you.

my best guess is everyone would end their delivery service, because no one would want to spend money to make $7.50. the owners will have to purchase a vehicle along with having to constantly fill the tank up, and that's either not going to be worth it or the losses are going to be reflected, again, in the cost of the food items.

you guys don't really understand how undesirable the effect would be if we got rid of tipping. after all is said and done, the complainers are complaining about paying what would amount to an extra buck or two for a service. don't want to tip? order take out.

i've never met a man that was anti-tipping that wasn't also cheap as all hell. don't act like this is about something other than your unwillingness to part with a few bucks.

Amen

Same goes for people bitching about Illegal aliens.

Go ahead and kick them out.

Then they will whine when they catch scabies at the Holiday Inn.
God knows Brosef isn't getting his ass out in the heat picking peppers and washing dishes.

4866711361_5b8af9ed87_z.jpg

In light of Sandy Hook, radio decided to pull Ke$ha's song from airplay, even though it's a song about living life to the fullest. The reason is the chorus has her chanting "We're gonna die young" over and over again. Now some people think this is ridiculous because number one: freedom of speech. Number two: it's got nothing to do with what happened. And number three: most individuals wouldn't accept special treatment, they would lump it, so folks should strap on a helmet instead of levying laws. Now whether you agree with the removal is irrelevant, because the operating motive for doing so is consideration for others. Even if the victims and their families are strong and resilient people who need no help, but we're also trying to create a community. Sure, people are strong enough to (barely) withstand that song, but removing it from the radio says, "You don't have to be." It's not about silencing freedoms or obligating folks.

It's about our fellow man.

Tipping is greasing the wheels of commerce. The other truth is service people are often paid shit and work long hours with not a shred of respect given back to them. They are not considered people so much as products, and if dissatisfied we bitch and don't pay. With a product you don't like, you return it get your money back; they have the product.

But service? That's one and done. They don't get their time or their energy back. Maybe they should be smarter. Maybe they should work better jobs. Maybe it's not your responsibility. Fine. There's no one saying you must tip. No one can tell you what to do.

It's just that if we're going to zealously defend something we won't do, what's the point of that? What are we adding to the community? Not only is it NOT MO MONEY, it's REVERSE GUILT. Terrific, we're all badasses who don't give a shit. Fuck you! YEAH! Let's all do the bare minimum! CAN I GET A TESTIFY!

Sounds rubbish but really that means nothing to me, is it the minimum wage or below it?

I don't know the cost of living either so I can't say if it's fair or not.

It was explained by somebody on the first page I think. The minimum wage is 7.25 hr. The employer is required to make sure the employee makes at least that. If the server rate is 2.13 per hour the server must make at least 5.12 an hour in tips and if they don't the employer has to pay the difference.

The IRS would go after me first and probably not the server. The got me for 27 grand last year.
The know whats up. But they can't pay agents to sit around and watch an individual for 8 hours a day for months and count every penny of tips.
Oh, I own a restaurant in case anyone has any questions.

Back