Tipping

I went out and got a fair bit of small notes yesterday for tips. If anyone complains about my gratitude I'm telling them sherdog told me to do it :p

3 pages and someone finally posted it.

Does anyone tip for takeout? If you are picking up food at restaurant to go?
Because I sure the hell don't

Yeah some people do at the place I work at. The cashiers go home with 20 bucks in tips usually.

I don't know how it works in the US but in Canada servers get paid below minimum wage, so tips are important to servers.. Don't be cheap.

surely getting paid below minimum wage is illegal by definition?

If it wasn't tipping they would just raise all the food prices or include the gratuity on the bill separately like some places already do.

If someone is to poor to tip they shouldn't be eating at a restaurant to begin wirth.

You don't have to tip at McDonald's

In Japan, for example, the food is,great, fantastic service, reasonably priced and they dont accept tips. The rest of the world seems to get by without your ridiculous tipping culture. We also get by fine without guns and the metric system works pretty well too.

surely getting paid below minimum wage is illegal by definition?
Citing legality isn't as advantageous in the workplace as we'd like to believe. Not being paid is not being paid. When they hold the checkbook, they kind of make up the rules. You can try to have the law intervene but who wants to create such a workplace atmosphere for themselves?

In Japan, for example, the food is,great, fantastic service, reasonably priced and they dont accept tips. The rest of the world seems to get by without your ridiculous tipping culture. We also get by fine without guns and the metric system works pretty well too.

Yes but they still you charge you for the food.

So it is a wash at the end of the day

I live in Louisiana, the state issued server (waiter, waitress, and bartenders) wage here is $2.13 per hour. Minus taxes

Sounds rubbish but really that means nothing to me, is it the minimum wage or below it?

I don't know the cost of living either so I can't say if it's fair or not.

Sounds rubbish but really that means nothing to me, is it the minimum wage or below it?

I don't know the cost of living either so I can't say if it's fair or not.

Minimum wage in Louisiana is $7.25.

15-20% at restaurants. Usually it's double the tax you see on the receipt. Sometimes I tip at restaurants where you don't have a waitress aside from someone that brings you food and takes your tray.

Tips don't get taxed AFAIK, but often do get distributed among the staff.

Tips do get taxed, and this is the premise of restaurants being able to paid tipped employees less than minimum wage. It's the incentive for the restaurant to police and report the tips.

I generally do 20%, because I'm nice like that.

Rabbi's don't get paid for circumcisions, but they collect tips.

Tips do get taxed, and this is the premise of restaurants being able to paid tipped employees less than minimum wage. It's the incentive for the restaurant to police and report the tips.

Credit card tips are definitely taxed but most servers don't report their cash tips.

Also depends on how often I frequent the place. The bar by my college that I frequent I generally tip well since I like the people there and they're gonna treat me like shit if I go back.

A lot of it at bars depends on the cash I have on hand. I often guesstimate and usually go over but since my tabs are usually 15-20 bucks losing an extra dollar on my tip isn't gonna kill me

I've also had a few moments at shitty places where the bartenders are dicks and I know I'll never go back so I'll skimp em and bolt for the car like I just robbed a bank

Back