Tipping

What? The minimum is considered 15%. People usually, on average, tip more than 15%, at least in my experience.

well i did say, "15%-20%". or do you mean that you usually watch others paying more than 20%?

in either case, it seems that our experiences have not been similar.

i hardly ever see anyone giving more than 15%-20% tip for the price of a meal. that's the amount i pay, and watch others pay, anyway.

Google it. You won't get a bunch of shit heads that have no idea what they're talking about.

Sorry, don't tip if i can help it, unless i am trying to impress someone for whatever reason....

I'll make up for it when i'm rich. i promise.

Never thought of it this way...very true

If it wasn't tipping they would just raise all the food prices or include the gratuity on the bill separately like some places already do.

If someone is to poor to tip they shouldn't be eating at a restaurant to begin with.

You don't have to tip at McDonald's

Do you have to tip the people at Sonics who bring the food out to you? I went there for the first time yesterday and just gave her 2 bucks but the bill was 30. She seemed surprised to get it.

Pro-tip: with hotels, valets, or people who deal with your property -- tip in advance. Grease em beforehand. It opens the doors more easily to better service.

With food, the tip afterwards is more like leveraging good service. Seems backwards but I guess it looks better than a exorbitant initial cost.

Do you have to tip the people at Sonics who bring the food out to you? I went there for the first time yesterday and just gave her 2 bucks but the bill was 30. She seemed surprised to get it.

You don't have to tip fast food employees.

I do tip the Sonic people though since they bring it to me.

You also don't have to tip those fucking coffee counter workers.

I've ordered $100 and tipped $0 because it was the worst service I have ever had and tipped $30 on a $50 bill because everything was excellent.

It's generally 10% for below average, 15% for average, 20% for above average, and 25-33% for excellent.

I tip very well. If you tip well ppl remember you and you can benefit from that. Esp when it comes to food. If you get bad service you dont go there again. Otherwise tip well. I went and picked up a pizza the other day and tipped them 3 dollars. Theyre still making your food. I want them to know my face and take care of my food. I tip girl that cuts my hair well and its gotten me to the front of the line more than once.

i only tip the waitress if shes good looking. i only tip the cab driver if he keeps his mouth shut.

I'm heading over to the States in little over a day now and in true male fashion, have left everything to the last minute. I understand that tipping is a big thing and was wanting to know the general rule of thumb:

Does tip percentage change in different cities? Do I tip people in retail stores? Is it rude to give the bare minimum tip?

BTW - will tip for answers with vCash ;)

tip a waiter/waitress 20%. that's a good tip but not 'OMG THANK YOU!' 15% is minimum, unless you get a really objectionable server...but that pretty much never happens.

pizza guy, my rule of thumb is the tens digit of the price plus 2.

$0-9 = 2 bucks
$10-19 = 3 bucks
$20-29 = 4 bucks
etc.

Valets, i guess you give them a buck or two...i really dunno what's kosher there.

I hate tipping. Not because I don't like helping out the employee.

I don't like the fact that not only does the restaurant want us to pay for our food, but we have to pay the employee's salary as an extra charge? It's a ridiculous concept.

it's really not. you're just cheap.

Agree 100% with crazy eyes. If the servers are making minimum wage, they don't need tips. If the tips are distributed evenly to all the staff members then i'd tip, but otherwise no.

15% of the is pretty standard for restaurants, maybe more if the service was really good and people generally only tip at sit down restaurants, not quick in and out type places.

If your in a bar a couple bucks when you get a drink is standard, maybe more if its an expensive nightclub type spot. It's worth it cause then the bar tender will pay attention to you when you come back for the next drink.

Also a few dollars for bellhops, valets, cab drivers, etc.

People don't usually tip in retail stores although a lot have a tip jar by the cash register and nobodies gonna complain if you throw a little in (but it's not expected).

I always tip 15-20% unless the person is an absolute bitch. One time I got a 20$ meal at a restaurant and paid with credit, I didn't select the tip option because I had cash in my pocket to give to the server. I return the machine to her and she responds "Gee thanks for the tip!" in a sarcastic voice, we'll you just lost it bitch.

I am off to Vegas in May and I am not looking forward to all this tipping bullshit

Agree 100% with crazy eyes. If the servers are making minimum wage, they don't need tips. If the tips are distributed evenly to all the staff members then i'd tip, but otherwise no.

I don't know how it works in the US but in Canada servers get paid below minimum wage, so tips are important to servers.. Don't be cheap.

Back