Tip of the Day: Breaking Guard

TheHighlander said:
The most reliable way to break guard is to stand up. If he tries to sweep you he will need to open his guard. Either pass from standing or drop back down and you're in open guard.

agreed. if he doesnt open the guard, just push down on one of his knees. problem solved.

robthemilt said:
log splitter?

grab collars, push them down into the armpits of your opponent, stand up, aligned your feet, sit down on your back foot while your front foot stays planted, you knee pops up in his crotch, arch lower back. the reason i like this guard break is because my lead knee is in position to pass guard by me killing his leg as i move forward.

i also like to underhook both legs, meet my hands in front, pull him into me, shift to aside, weight onto his thigh sliding into side control.

Log splitter is your best bet against a guard that is a real bitch to break open.

I follow the Michael Jen/Mario Sperry approach. Use the "posture" break if you can. If you can't, fall back on the log splitter. Sperry is all in favor of the log splitter and never standing to break guard. That works with even the toughest, nastiest, slickest-sweeping opponents.

I hesitate to do the logsplitter until I must because I feel it is kind of too one-dimensional, but I must admit it is a fricking awesome way to break guard.

Zankou said:
Log splitter is your best bet against a guard that is a real bitch to break open.

I follow the Michael Jen/Mario Sperry approach. Use the "posture" break if you can. If you can't, fall back on the log splitter. Sperry is all in favor of the log splitter and never standing to break guard. That works with even the toughest, nastiest, slickest-sweeping opponents.

I hesitate to do the logsplitter until I must because I feel it is kind of too one-dimensional, but I must admit it is a fricking awesome way to break guard.

the two guard breaks that i mentions are ones i keep in reserve, i like the log spliter when my posture is broken, i like the under hook & stack when they play with a loose guard. i mostly use the codnan grip with posture, knee to the tail bone, blah blah blah.
most say the log splitter is bad due to sweeps, i feel due to me being taught properly, if he can sweep me during the log splitter, i can be sweeped on a basic guard pass.

you are one of the few that see the effectiveness of the log splitter.

Passing guard may be the hardest thing to do in jiujitsu (against a good guard), and breaking it is one of the toughest parts of that in my opinion. It seems it's pretty basic. The posture break and log splitter are usually your best bet. But, getting proficient at them is another thing.

Like one guy said, standing is of course another option. I think if you stand and immediately thrust your hips forward in a good posture you can often break the guard and protect yourself from sweeps simultaneously. But, it's definitely not as safe as other breaks.

Btw, there is another option, one that I am now starting to appreciate: Do not get caught in closed guard in the first place, ever. Just don't let it happen to you. Get that knee up if you feel it happening, and keep moving.

can someon post some pics of this "log splitter" i must say im still new to jj, and my hardest thing is breakin and passing gauard...... everywehre else i am strong as can b but breakin guard i jsut suck. our teacher teaches us the stand and shake them off with one hand on inside of knee pushing down etc........ i hate this pass, everytime i stand the guy swings and unerhooks my leg. so i come back down but dont get my knee through fast enough......

help a brotha out!

Back