Timothy Johnson vs Moldavsky Bellator 261

Luke Thomas on MorningKombat said that he's excited for the Outlaw/Jury fight, that it should be entertaining. He believes that the rest of the card will be boring.

I'm not sure we see eye to eye.

I'll be rooting against Johnson tbh.

Believe they said its first interim title in Bellator history. When you look at just like last 3 years the amount of title fights and you see half the divs are averaging a title fight every 18 months thats just embarrassing. Really no reason why titles have to sit idle for that long. Should have had an interim LW title done a year ago.

HW - 2
LHW - 2
MW - 2
WW - 4
LW - 2
FW - 5
BW - 3
WFW - 5
WFly - 5

Luke Thomas on MorningKombat said that he's excited for the Outlaw/Jury fight, that it should be entertaining. He believes that the rest of the card will be boring.

I'm not sure we see eye to eye.
jury outlaw will be fun but I think outlaw does it. Dude is strong, well rounded and has consistently been training with world class partners.

jury outlaw will be fun but I think outlaw does it. Dude is strong, well rounded and has consistently been training with world class partners.
I'd be pleasantly surprised, but nonetheless surprised, if that fight was more fun than all of Biyong/Edwards, Johnson/Wright, or Hokit/Samuels. Notwithstanding the likelihood that it will be more technically advanced, the other fights should be as much or more of a blast. I certainly wouldn't dismiss them like he did. But yes I'd probably pick Outlaw between the two at this point as well.

I'd be pleasantly surprised, but nonetheless surprised, if that fight was more fun than all of Biyong/Edwards, Johnson/Wright, or Hokit/Samuels. Notwithstanding the likelihood that it will be more technically advanced, the other fights should be as much or more of a blast. I certainly wouldn't dismiss them like he did. But yes I'd probably pick Outlaw between the two at this point as well.
I wouldn’t sleep on Johnson/wright. Johnson got wrestle fucked in his last fight but prior to that he’s been explosive, aggressive and balls to the wall from the bell.

Wait, iirc, you coach Johnson right?
im the boxing coach at a gym where he does camp, but our relationship is usually offering advice between rounds and cornering against him in his sparring when I can. I’m heavily bias here bc he’s such a good dude

im the boxing coach at a gym where he does camp, but our relationship is usually offering advice between rounds and cornering against him in his sparring when I can. I’m heavily bias here bc he’s such a good dude
Yeah, I assumed you had some relationship with him because I remember he trained at your gym.

Johnson is an amazing fighter. Heavily underrated because of his record. He fought a 21 fight veteran for his 6th fight for DWTNCS, that guy is now 3-0 in the UFC and just beat Jacare, his only other lost came to Johnny Eblen who is quite possibly the best MW wrestler in the world, if the metric is just pure wrestling. But he beat Ruth and another Bellator vet Bondole. Bellator has a very competitive MW division but he should easily be top 10 in it.

Believe they said its first interim title in Bellator history. When you look at just like last 3 years the amount of title fights and you see half the divs are averaging a title fight every 18 months thats just embarrassing. Really no reason why titles have to sit idle for that long. Should have had an interim LW title done a year ago.

HW - 2
LHW - 2
MW - 2
WW - 4
LW - 2
FW - 5
BW - 3
WFW - 5
WFly - 5

The divisions arent that deep, nor are there that many contenders that are just knocking at the door for a title fight. There are 1-2 Bellator cards a month. Injuries occur. COVID happens.

You could argue that Nemkov deserved a title shot after beating Davis but the wait wasnt that bad considering how infrequently Nemkov fought. I'm not really clamoring for interim title fights. It seems to be a normal thing in UFC now which is a complete 180 from year ago.

The divisions arent that deep, nor are there that many contenders that are just knocking at the door for a title fight. There are 1-2 Bellator cards a month. Injuries occur. COVID happens.

You could argue that Nemkov deserved a title shot after beating Davis but the wait wasnt that bad considering how infrequently Nemkov fought. I'm not really clamoring for interim title fights. It seems to be a normal thing in UFC now which is a complete 180 from year ago.

who gives a shit if you are clamoring for them or not, no div should go years at a time without moving forward and having belts defended. They have deep enough divs with guys/girls in them who are fighting, winning and willing to fight for belts and make more money and get more opportunities.

thats the entire point of an interim title.

Hokit fight was funny, in the sense that I looked up and the ref was already rushing towards him. He just showed no respect to his opponent. Rushed into phone booth range against a taller, longer opponent with his head on a stake. We'll see how he responds to the loss. Good fighters have lost embarrassing fights early in their careers, he can still be good but first he has to calm down on his own hype, you are a wrestler, until you have years of striking training stick to what you know.

Johnson fight was good. I thought he was a bit flat-footed in the striking exchanges, he was trying to take energy conservation way too seriously. Against an opponent like Wright it's fine, against someone who could take advantage of that and get inside with thigh kicks and calf kicks not so much. I also don't really agree with his assessment of his changes for the fight. There has to be some middle ground before arriving with 18 pounds to cut in a week and 7. He seems to think cardio was his problem in his last fight...it wasn't. Not that cardio is a bad thing, if you can get it for free, but if the tradeoff is 11 pounds in the cage...again, there has to be a better middle ground. Particularly if you're going against a wrestler again, and you're overmatched in that department, the goal is to have the strength to fight and prevent takedowns, not to have more energy to squirm with in bottom position. Good win for him. We'll see who he fights next, there are a lot of candidates. Aguiar and Murtazaliev kinda loom over the division, because they should be somewhere in there. Someone also needs to chase Ward and Shipman from the rankings they don't belong in. Either of those could be next fights for him.

Speaking of which, Eblen said he signed two bout agreements but they both fell through. I have my opinions on who they probably were...

Overall was a good night of fights.

I think some people in this thread need to apologize for doubting Valentin and especially the GOAT Liz, saying they were gonna have boring bouts.

I think some people in this thread need to apologize for doubting Valentin and especially the GOAT Liz, saying they were gonna have boring bouts.
I'll eat my words and admit rhose were pretty good fights. I could live the rest of my life without another Sidney Outlaw fight, though.

Back