Times where you thought a fighters exuses were legit after a fight?

iboufring**

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Exuse" is a very strong word here. Almost taboo'ish.

But when was there exuses that you thought were very legit and played a factor in the fight?

For me, it was big nog's staph thing. That played a factor against mir

inb4 Shoguns knees for every loss or disappointing performance

Jamie Varner dislocating his ankle

Ever tried fighting with a cracked skull? Thought not

anyone complaining Jon Jones poked them in the eyes

Tito's cracked skull seemed pretty legit.
On the other hand, Bones' dislocated toe didn't seem very plausible......

Conor, after he didn't take holloways "head clean off"

Patrick Cote blowing his knee out due to Anderson's sith lord sorcery looked pretty legit. He's throwing some jump kick shit and then he's rolling around on the ground in agony.

Korean Zombie dislocating his shoulder against Jose Aldo.

Jamie Varner dislocating his ankle

I was disappointed at how seldom that was brought up afterward. He impressed the hell out of me, fighting the last ~4 minutes of the round like that.

Aldo being very sick going into the Hominick fight which led to the myth about him gassing in later rounds.

Excuses are bullshit. Reasons are fine.

Excuses: Blaming something outside yourself for your failures.
Reasons: Explaining why YOU failed to overcome obstacles.

There's guys who are hurt every fight and never bring up their injuries win/lose. These are the best guys, but they also get a lot of s#it from Sherdoggers because they never offer up an explanation. So usually guys that blame themselves, speak on an issue quickly and then move on are the most forgiven for poor performances.

Rampage vs Bader - Rampage missed weight for the only time I can remember, was clearly because he couldn't train properly due to injury

Cain vs JDS 1 - same reason as above (didn't miss weight, but came in much heavier than usual)

Jake Shields vs Ellenberger - Shields shouldn't have fought, no way he could have been mentally right for that one

That's all I can think of now, but there are plenty, plenty more. There is a frenzied culture now in MMA of attacking anyone who has any form of reason for a poor performance, but a fair proportion of the time they are perfectly legitimate (though not always of course - shoutouts to Tito).

Back