Time to switch gyms?

vincent80

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I'm feeling like I might have outgrown my gym. Here are some reasons I say this:

More and more ppl training there just for recreation so not training to fight.

I want to go pro but the only trainer that's fought pro now no longer teaches there.

I feel like the trainers that stepped in have no idea how to train me.

I don't know why but I have a hard time mustering up motivation and respect for a trainer with a mediocre ammy career.

I think my gym has fallen into financial woes and now is borderline mcdojo.

I return to training in Oct-Nov and I feel like I should really change gyms and not waste more time there. I'm I being unreasonable? Has anyone else had to go through or has been in a situation like this?

Ok so I'm feeling like I might have outgrown my gym. Here are some reasons I say this:

I want to go pro but the only trainer that's fought pro now no longer teaches there.

I don't know why but I have a hard time mustering up motivation and respect for a trainer with a mediocre ammy career.

I return to training in Oct-Nov and I feel like I should really change gyms and not waste more time there. I'm I being unreasonable? Has anyone else had to go through or has been in a situation like this?

hey what can i say.....you've said everything to NOT stay. How can u train somewhere where u dont respect the trainer.

Say bye .

Trainers dont have to be good fighters, but if you cant respect him, I wouldn train with him

Yep, I have planned to change gym next year, but due to lack of motivation during my last training with this current school, I've decided I'm going to check out a new school tomorrow and start training there next week. My current school has a great teacher, but their system lacks the thing that motivates me most - sparring. I stayed there out of gratitude and friendship but it's time to move on...

I’m facing the same situation myself. The gym I’m at offers Muay Thai and boxing. Their boxing classes are really good, but my new work schedule only allows me to catch one or two boxing classes a week. I figured I would just do some cross training in Muay Thai, so I went to check out a class.

The “Muay Thai” class consisted of 50 minutes of exercises (burpees, sit-ups, pushups, and other core strengthening) and 10 minutes of punch and kick combinations. I don’t even understand why people waste their time at classes like this. If I wanted to do a fitness boot camp I would join 24 hr fitness, not attend a Muay Thai class.

I’m feeling really checked on weather I should find a new gym to train at. I really like their boxing program, but I’m not sure if training one to two days a week is going to keep me satisfied. My other problem is that there are not any other good boxing gyms around, so if I switched gyms I would have to switch styles.

What gym is it?

I understand what you mean though. If you don't feel like your learning anything it's time to move on.

Leave! Sounds terrible, if you have any better options around you, make the switch. If you had a good synergy with the coach that left, think about going to the gym he's at now (if that's reasonable).

It's your money, so if you're not getting the quality instruction you're paying for, then GTFO of there

I want to go pro
Then get your ass into a fighters gym.

Might be and idea to check out local events and see what
clubs have fighters entered in the event.

Yep, I have planned to change gym next year, but due to lack of motivation during my last training with this current school, I've decided I'm going to check out a new school tomorrow and start training there next week. My current school has a great teacher, but their system lacks the thing that motivates me most - sparring. I stayed there out of gratitude and friendship but it's time to move on...

why is there no sparring? is it just a fitness class or something?

Are you talking about 5 Points? Eddie Martinez, who recently turned pro, no longer coaches there and there's been a huge influx of noobz, and when I saw Sergio replace Eddie as coach for the clinch sessions, I cringed. That guy is horrible. I decided to forego the Thursday class for Wednesday when Steve is coaching. The only other "real" muay thai place is Sitan but the commute makes it a no-go.

I'd hate to air the gym out but for the sake of other ppl looking to train in my area I guess it's a responsibility ... I live in Utah and it's "Muay Thai" gym the only just MT gym in Utah so anyone that's interested in what the exact gym is it wouldn't be hard to figure out. The other options I have are:

index

And Jeremy Horns gym. The issues that have me second guessing those gyms are: For Bernales it's the head trainer has no ring experience that I know of. But I hear that he's a very technical teacher. And his best student has like a 1-3 ammy mma record. And Horns gym I heard the striking sucks and I want to striking to be my strong point because I already have a Muay Thai background.

My ideal situation would-be going to a gym that had a excellent striking coach, a bb teaching bjj and they were pushing out successful pro fighters.

I don't know what to do.

Are you talking about 5 Points? Eddie Martinez, who recently turned pro, no longer coaches there and there's been a huge influx of noobz, and when I saw Sergio replace Eddie as coach for the clinch sessions, I cringed. That guy is horrible. I decided to forego the Thursday class for Wednesday when Steve is coaching. The only other "real" muay thai place is Sitan but the commute makes it a no-go.

Yeah the commute sucks. I drive like 20-30 minutes to get there, but sooooooo worth it :D

Back