Time to gain some muscle weight.

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Hey, everyone I’ve been lurking around for a while and decided its time to start my own log. My main goal is to gain some lean muscle weight and not be a weak scrawny guy any more. I’ve been following this plan for about 2 months now and I made some gains

Height is 6’2
Starting weight: 158lbs
Current weight: 167lbs *Edit Dec 8 ,2010 170 lbs

I’m going to aim to go above 175lbs, maybe up to 180/185 because I Know I’m putting on a little fat in this process. So at the end of my gain I will throw some cardio in to burn that fat and be leaner at 175lbs

I am currently using Westside for skinny bastards (though slightly modified).

My diet is around 3000 calories a day; I spread that out into six smaller meals.
I get about 240g of carbs, 120g of protein, and 70g of fat per day.

Typical meals for me consist of Eggs with whole wheat toast and milk; I eat a lot of peanut butter on whole wheat with milk, turkey burgers, brown rice, potatoes, yogurt, some good source of protein such as chicken and red meat

Due to lack of money getting as much red meat has been an issue, but I do my best to have at least one meal a day focused around chicken, fish, or steak. I realize I don’t get much veggie this is for two reasons:

A: I’m a poor ass college student who can hardly afford the food mentioned above
B: I don’t like veggies

I don’t take meal supplements cause I don’t believe I need them, I prefer to keep it natural. I do how ever take a multivitamin because with the lack of veggies I find it hard to get the vitamins I need.

That was a longer write up than I expected, any ways here is today’s workout.

Leg press 170lbs: 3x5
Dumbbell walking lunges 40lbs: 3x11
Single legged leg curls: 30lbs: 3x8

Wrist work out
Preacher reverse curls 45lbs: 3x6
Forearm curls 25lbs: 3x6
Behind back forearm curls 45lbs: 3x8

Abs
Bridge 30 seconds: x3
Side bridges 30 seconds: x3 (each side)

I would like to swap leg press with squat eventually, but I just suck at squats. I can’t seem to get the form down at all. I’ve watched several instruction videos, but no matter how I do them my lower back ends up hurting a little.Also, I go heavy on my abs on Mondays so I like to give them a different kind of workout with the bridges on Wednesdays.

This is something I have always wanted to do, I’ve already made some gains and I hope this log will help me keep track of future improvements.

Last edited:
Welcome to the logs. Good luck!

Have you watched the SquatRX videos? Those are quite useful when learning to squat with proper form. Also, don't worry about squatting heavy for now. Master form then add weight on the bar.

Are you on any program in particular? The faq has several routines that will be sure to put some meat on them bones.

Good luck!

My diet is around 3000 calories a day; I spread that out into six smaller meals.
I get about 240g of carbs, 120g of protein, and 70g of fat per day.

Typical meals for me consist of Eggs with whole wheat toast and milk; I eat a lot of peanut butter on whole wheat with milk, turkey burgers, brown rice, potatoes, yogurt, some good source of protein such as chicken and red meat

3000 calories and only 158? Maybe you are highly active, or your metabolic rate is increased due to your height (reaching here), but that seems like a large number with small gain.

Either way, good luck!

3000 calories and only 158? Maybe you are highly active, or your metabolic rate is increased due to your height (reaching here), but that seems like a large number with small gain.

Either way, good luck!

I was 158 before I started eating 3000 calories a day. Now that I've been eating 3000 calories a day, and doing the westside for skinny bastards for 2 months I'm around 167.

Pretty lousy work out today. I stayed up most the night studying and it definitely ruined me in the gym.

bw dips: 11,9,7
rope pull downs 65lb: 3x8
45lb assisted chin ups: 3x8
Lat raises 20lbs: 2x5
concentrated dumbbell curls 40lbs : 7, 5

In my defense i can do chin ups with my body weight, but after dips I can barely do any so I opted to do assisted until i can get back to my body weight after doing dips. Lat raises and dumbbell curls were rushed cause i had to get to class.

any ways Time for a power nap.

I did some levering for my forearms after I woke from my nap. I usually do this levering routine Monday and Friday with some heavy forearm workouts thrown in on Wednesdays. I'm aware working my Forearms wont do much for my weight gain goal, but I've always viewed my forearms as a weak link...so I put a lot of focus on them.

anyways I do some of the exercises from this thread http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/lever-shot-smashys-illustrated-guide-levering-813568/

Forward lever 2.5lbs: 3x10
reverse lever 5lbs : 3x14
side to side lever 2.5lbs: 3x12

Todays workout

Dumbbell bench press
3x7 55lbs

Incline dumbbell bench press
3x8 30lbs

Bent over Barbell rows
3x12 65 lbs

Rear Delt Flyes
3x10 5lbs

I think I'm gonna move up on each workout except maybe the barbell row's. My form was a little off with those today so i want to perfect that before I go up with them.

Mondays Levering

Forward lever 2.5lbs:
3x11

reverse lever 7.5lbs :
3x8

side to side lever 2.5lbs:
3x13

Todays Workout

Leg press 180lbs:
3x5

Dumbbell walking lunges 45lbs:
3x8

Single legged leg curls: 35lbs:

3x8

Wrist work out

Preacher reverse curls 50lbs:
3x6

Forearm curls 30lbs:
3x6

Behind back forearm curls 50lbs:
3x8

The hardest part of this is definitely getting all the calories I need. I have been seeing significant gains for the first two months, but my weight pretty much stayed the same this week. I guess My noob gains are over. Perhaps I should increase my calorie intake a little bit more.

Today's workout went like this

bw dips:

rope pull downs 70lb:

40lb assisted chin ups:

Lat raises 20lbs:

concentrated dumbbell curls 40lbs:

On a side note I really hate/envy guys who go to the gym do one exercise then hit on girls for an hour.

Fridays Levering

Forward lever 2.5lbs:

reverse lever 7.5lbs :

side to side lever 2.5lbs:

I feel like you'd be a better human being if you could work squats and deadlifts into your program. Maybe you could video your squat form and we could fix it for you? It's not that complicated.

I feel like you'd be a better human being if you could work squats and deadlifts into your program. Maybe you could video your squat form and we could fix it for you? It's not that complicated.

+1. Squats and deadlifts will go much further than leg press for overall strength. I'm sure many have been apprehensive about the first set of both, but with good technique they are very beneficial.

The deadlift is more functional in that it

well I've always had a bad lower back, and apparently I'm irritating my disk or something. My doctor said Id should lay off exercises that stress my back. Not only that but my school gym doesn't even have a squat rack ( community college sucks) .

On the upside I'm transferring to a university in January. I will start dead lifts and squats then because my back should feel better and the facility is better. Till then I will continue my current routine

Thanks for taking the time to look at my log guys, I will be taking your advice in the near future!

any ways here is today's numbers

Todays workout

Dumbbell bench press 60lbs

Incline dumbbell bench press 35lbs

Bent over Barbell rows 65lbs

Rear Delt Flyes 7 1/2 lbs

todays levering

Forward levers 5lbs

Reverse levers 7 1/2lbs

Side to side levers 5lbs

welcome to the logs

you could always try Straight Legged Deads for awhile. Nothing wrong with light weight to start the process of working up to more.

thanks guys, I will definitely take your advice into consideration once I switch up my routine.

On another note, does anyone know some good breakfast food besides eggs for gaining weight?

I find I'm getting sick of eggs, wheat toast and milk.

Todays work out felt pretty good.

Leg press 185lbs:
3x5

Dumbbell walking lunges 45lbs:
3x9

Single legged leg curls: 40lbs:
3x8

Wrist work out

Preacher reverse curls 50lbs:
3x7

Forearm curls 30lbs:
3x7