Time it takes to notice a difference?

Nights1515

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Sorry if this questions been asked I'm new to this board. I just started working and actually dedicating time to it. I've been drinking muscle milk and eat heavily I'm usually 140 after all of it but the next day I lose it all and back to 135. Whats the usual time it takes to start gaining weight?

It depends on five things (in no particular order)

1. How much you eat.
2. What you eat.
3. What kind of exercise you do.
4. How much of that exercise you do.
5. Genetics

Also, I suppose it depends upon your threshold for noticing a difference.

There's no answer to your question as far as how long it takes to gain a noticeable amount of weight (because...you know...that's completely subjective). However, if you have trouble gaining weight, I would suggest that you read the FAQs...or just eat a lot more than what you are now, and drink a gallon of whole milk every day.

Thanks guys I'm trying so far I am noticing a difference in my appearance my shoulders are getting bigger as well as my muscles but still can only peak 140. Eating is the hard part working out is fun but eating can be tough specially when I run out of stuff to eat.

like the above poster stated, there are too many factors to know. technically you could gain 30lbs of muscle and not notice a difference. just eat healthy and lift hard. dont give up.

30 pounds of muscle is a lot. If someone gained 30 pounds of muscle, you'd definitely notice a difference. Unless you were 300 pounds.

Thanks guys I'm trying so far I am noticing a difference in my appearance my shoulders are getting bigger as well as my muscles but still can only peak 140. Eating is the hard part working out is fun but eating can be tough specially when I run out of stuff to eat.

You probably don't know how to eat properly for gaining weight.

Make sure you've read the D&S FAQ.

Lift heavy and often, with a focus on compound excercises (bench, squats and deadlifts).

Eat 4-6 times a day. Try adding more full fat milk to your diet in between meals, as well as snacks like nuts, peanut butter, yoghurt etc.

Do minimum cardio/aerobic excercise.

your genetics play a huge role in how soon you can see results. a hyper responder like kevin levrone can make noticeable changes within a week, others take a lot longer.

TS how old are you? The reason I ask is that it has been my experience that the younger you are the higher your metabolism works. I remember being a teenager and eating anything I could get my hands on and not gaining weight. Now (I turn 31 next week) I can eat one small bowl of ice cream and add 5lbs. seemingly overnight.

Anyway, just eat more and limit cardio of you are wanting to gain. I also recommend the gallon of whole milk a day.

You say that you "eat heavily". Please list a typical day's food you consume, including the amounts of individual foods you eat.

Are you asking when YOU will notice a difference or when someone else will?

I started lifting when I was perhaps 24 years old (back in the mid 90's to date myself) at the beginning of the summer. I was house sitting for my parents and spent the summer lifting and eating. I was a bit skinny fat (6 feet tall, about 160 pounds) at the beginning of the summer. I didn't really notice a lot of difference between the beginning of the summer and the end of the summer. My parents, however, on returning asked "Are you on steroids????" as I had blossomed up to 170 pounds and much leaner. It was a shocking transformation for them, but not a transformation at all for me (all that work and 10 measly pounds!).

That being said, you should probably be following the mantra of "Form follows function". Get strong, and you will get bigger. Track your lifts. If they are going up, then take comfort in the fact that you are probably getting bigger too. If they aren't going up, then eat more food.

TS how old are you? The reason I ask is that it has been my experience that the younger you are the higher your metabolism works. I remember being a teenager and eating anything I could get my hands on and not gaining weight. Now (I turn 31 next week) I can eat one small bowl of ice cream and add 5lbs. seemingly overnight.

Anyway, just eat more and limit cardio of you are wanting to gain. I also recommend the gallon of whole milk a day.

Alright thanks I'm 22 btw. I'm going to try to drink more milk now twice as much as I use to. I hate to stop on my cardio though but I guess I can reduce it a bit. I don't want to be one of those big guys that gas after 5 minutes on the treadmill.

Also my eating could be a problem I really just eat whatever I can find lot of chicken and spaghetti mostly whatever I see has a lot of protein. I can look for some recipes I would like something that's easy to make and doesn't take to many ingredients.

Are you asking when YOU will notice a difference or when someone else will?

I started lifting when I was perhaps 24 years old (back in the mid 90's to date myself) at the beginning of the summer. I was house sitting for my parents and spent the summer lifting and eating. I was a bit skinny fat (6 feet tall, about 160 pounds) at the beginning of the summer. I didn't really notice a lot of difference between the beginning of the summer and the end of the summer. My parents, however, on returning asked "Are you on steroids????" as I had blossomed up to 170 pounds and much leaner. It was a shocking transformation for them, but not a transformation at all for me (all that work and 10 measly pounds!).

That being said, you should probably be following the mantra of "Form follows function". Get strong, and you will get bigger. Track your lifts. If they are going up, then take comfort in the fact that you are probably getting bigger too. If they aren't going up, then eat more food.

Thanks so far only person to notice a change is my grandmother. I am noticing that I can lift a little more then I use to though so thats good. Also good to see someone else from TX from Victoria Texas myself.

Back