Time For Gus to Return to 205?

Gustafsson
Time to realise he was never actually elite and likely never will be.

Good, not great.
The first fight vs Jones was definitely elite, aint nobody gonna take that away. But overall i agree.

But I see a bright future for Gus as a coach in the near future.

Gustafsson may have had the worst timing of everyone at light heavyweight.
He had two amazing fights against Jones and Cormier, but was never able to capture the belt.
Then he went to heavyweight, and clearly that's not gonna work out for him.

So what about moving back down to 205?
He already has a win over Jan, and Glover.
This could be his time, no?
Those fights took his soul is doesn't matter where he fights the top 10 of both divisions work him.
Gus vs jones 2 was sad and he followed that up making smith look like a monster.

But who can put him in that position?

The elite LHW wrestlers have gone and even back then Rumble handled the 2nd tier ones, Davis and Bader, with ease.
That's a good point and it further validates the thinning out of the heavier divisions of UFC.

I believe Gus is done, he has won 2 of his last 6 fights, has taken a ton of damage and looks slow and uninterested.
upload_2020-11-10_17-41-43.png

I'm still waiting on another 205 lber to pull what Ubereem did. Jones could have been the guy, no -- would have been the guy --, if not for his past failed tests.

You don't think Ubereem might have failed more tests under USADA?

Absolutely, the two guys he just couldn’t beat are outta there. So yeah he comes back to 205 beats a fringe top 10 then if he can beat a Glover/Reyes/santos after that there’s no reason he can’t get a title shot. He’s got the talent to do it, just a matter of him being invested mentally

Gustafsson may have had the worst timing of everyone at light heavyweight.
He had two amazing fights against Jones and Cormier, but was never able to capture the belt.
Then he went to heavyweight, and clearly that's not gonna work out for him.

So what about moving back down to 205?
He already has a win over Jan, and Glover.
This could be his time, no?
On paper those are great points, but he's looked so shot and lackluster lately that I wouldn't have any faith that his heart's in it. I'd be happy to see him give it a go and string some Ws together again.

I just wanna see him back and be competitive in the division and not retire after every loss.

Absolutely, the two guys he just couldn’t beat are outta there. So yeah he comes back to 205 beats a fringe top 10 then if he can beat a Glover/Reyes/santos after that there’s no reason he can’t get a title shot. He’s got the talent to do it, just a matter of him being invested mentally
There seem to be more than two guys he can't beat now. It isn't 2014 anymore.

It's possible having Jones out of the way might make him re-motivate himself, if not he probably should just retire.

Last edited:
Whichever weight he goes with, he should take a couple low-15 fights and see if he can put some wins together.

he went to heavyweight, and clearly that's not gonna work out for him.
Oh people are so quick to assume a loss was directly related to weight change.
The way I had it his terrible ground loss to Werdum was just another follow up to his terrible ground loss to Smith.

Heck -if Gus had been a HW who tried moving down and his LHW debut was that loss to Smith - wouldn't you have said "LHW is clearly not gonna work out for him"?

Back