Time For Gus to Return to 205?

ChinaMMABlog

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Gustafsson may have had the worst timing of everyone at light heavyweight.
He had two amazing fights against Jones and Cormier, but was never able to capture the belt.
Then he went to heavyweight, and clearly that's not gonna work out for him.

So what about moving back down to 205?
He already has a win over Jan, and Glover.
This could be his time, no?

Yeah, he should, but I think he's mentally done with the sport, and just cashing in checks. If that's the case then it won't make a difference. IMO it would have been cool to see him become Uber Gustaffson. I'm still waiting on another 205 lber to pull what Ubereem did. Jones could have been the guy, no -- would have been the guy --, if not for his past failed tests.

If anyone should return, itd be rumble....and hed win belt but hed have one defense- tops- because of his " conor" weakness ( when someone gets his back and feels those limbs slide under neck and ANY type of pressure to jugular- over)

I have doubts that he beats Glover or (especially) Jan today. Even when they fought, he wanted no part of Jan’s striking. And Jan is now 3-0 in rematches with guys who previously beat him.

I’ve been a huge Gus fan since his Octagon debut, but after getting inmate raped by Phil, Jon, Danny, and Humble he has just never been the same, his confidence was shook beyond repair.

Agreed with everyone who says he shouldn't. I don't know what happened to Gus's mentality, but he just doesn't have the motivation that he used to. If he were the same Gus that fought Jones in 2013, I have no doubt he could've been the LHW champ, and I'd say his chances would be good at HW, too.

Funny how people just write guys off, especially with the talent gus has. Remember 5 fights ago, gloverv was supposedly done; mma is different than other sports. I still am ot counting gus out

If anyone should return, itd be rumble....and hed win belt but hed have one defense- tops- because of his " conor" weakness ( when someone gets his back and feels those limbs slide under neck and ANY type of pressure to jugular- over)

But who can put him in that position?

The elite LHW wrestlers have gone and even back then Rumble handled the 2nd tier ones, Davis and Bader, with ease.

Time to realise he was never actually elite and likely never will be.

Good, not great.

He couldn't even beat Anthony Smith. I guess his wins vs Glover and Jan look better now. That was years ago now. I feel like MMA has passed him by. There are some killers out there now.

Gus was a bad MFer once upon a time, taking Jon and DC in their primes to their absolute limit. He's a shell of his former self, he's mentally checked out and probably should retire. He got stopped by Anthony Smith, who is a solid gatekeeper but nowhere near elite

Back