Time between belts in Judo

babygetoboy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to start judo pretty soon, and was just curious as how long it takes to achieve each belt. I.e. white to yellow, then yellow to orange etc...

I plan on training 3 days a week.

Thanks in advance

Depends. Could be 3 months. Could be 1 year. There are many factors...

Go expecting to learn, the belts are just experience markers ... it really depends on how good you are and how often you go ... Have fun

Not long to get your yellow, maybe 3-4 months.

A bit longer for orange, maybe a 6-12 months (after yellow)

Green, maybe 1 - 2 years (after orange)

Longer again for blue, maybe another couple of years - 3 maybe

Long time for brown, 3-4 years - maybe longer. Blue seems to be where many just get stuck

Brown, well.... sometimes long, sometimes not. Mine was 2 years - probably others might be a bit longer. My coach's view is the "meat" of the learning is done in green/blue, brown is to refine it. Probably others would see it differently so maybe 3+ years?

Heck, it all depends on yourself & how hard you train & how much you compete. In Oz, you need points before advancing - gathered in competition. (10 for win by ippon against the same grade, 15 for 1 grade up, 7 for 1 grade down). I needed 150 points in 2 years for black.

If you do extremely well in shiai against dan-grade opponents, you can be instantly promoted too. This is called batsugun.

this may seem like a stupid question to all you judoka, but am i correct to assume that, like bjj, belts in judo are performance based? if there was a judo club in my town that tested every few months and awarded belts frequently like that, is it normal or is that judo mc dojo? not a troll, just wondering...

judo is not mcdojo

you earn your belts based on performance

you dont have to compete but if you compete and do well, especially against higher belts, you will most likely progress faster than if you didnt compete

i didn't say all judo was mcdojo, i was wondering what i should be looking for in a school. i checked out an academy and wanted to see what happens in other places.

Judo belt progression seems like a more faster progression than alot of them.(if the dojo's philosophy is more competition driven) Our dojo stresses competition, and really this is how everyone moves up. There are alot of good tourney's and the students are encouraged to see what works for them, so they can concentrate on strengths/weakness's in class. Not sure a 3 month then you get this belt should really matter. It should be based totally on your knowledge and how proficient you are with the techniques, especially in randori, and comp.

yoder said:
i didn't say all judo was mcdojo, i was wondering what i should be looking for in a school. i checked out an academy and wanted to see what happens in other places.

gotcha;)

Crimson_King said:
judo is not mcdojo

you earn your belts based on performance

you dont have to compete but if you compete and do well, especially against higher belts, you will most likely progress faster than if you didnt compete

I was aware that it was based on performance or skill, effort, and time. If you get two of the three, then that would be good enough for a promotion. Belts ranks in martial arts dojos aren't really like military ranks. They are more about individual dedication and/or skill rather than a hierachy of "how worthy you are". It isn't about ego or validation.

i mean i got my black belt in 3-5 business days...beat that bitches

I can give you a black eye in 3-5 business days too...

damn, i mean usually u could give someone a black eye in .2 seconds, but to give me a black eye in 3-5 business days, that takes some skill and dedication...dedication that only a quality judo player would have...i see where your going with this frodo

Depends on a country. I've been practising judo for 10yrs. , been training twice a day (I compete) for a couple of years, teach kids' classes and i'm still a blue belt. I "should" have brown already like the other people my age, but I don't.

i got my yellow in one month..it all depends on instructor and how dedicated you are to learning....education occurs outside as well as inside class....plus tapping out a brown belt with a triangle helped expedite the acquisition of the yellow belt

It depends on the instructor, the club, and you. Many Judo clubs are heavy into the sport aspect of Judo and competitions. So many schools reward strong competitors. I've known guys with strong wrestling backgrounds who adapted very quickyl to Judo and had a BB in two years. I've also known people who are Brown Belts after 5 years.

Back