Tim Kennedy Made More Sponorship Money Than Entire Fight Night Card

[/B]

Wow. He is not in the uniform anymore, he doesn't have to obey orders and pretend to enjoy it.

In the military, at least the people you are taking orders from have in most cases been in your position at some point in their career.

He knows he is being screwed in the entertainment business by people who have never stepped in the cage. He has every right to speak his mind and not take bullshit from exploiters who have never been where he is sitting.

Your association of entertainment with actual mission related combat for the interests of a nation is so misguided that i think you might be a little slow.

Your reply is so out in left field I

Unions are for crybabys who complain about their jobs. If you love what you do, then the money doesn't matter. If you complain about money, take your ass back to school and get an education.

Lol - ok captain literal. I'm generalizing. My point is that several of the "fighters aren't making enough money people" touted that fighters weren't making a lot from sponsors. Sponsor money was always there. Now the argument has shifted to "fighters made good money from sponsors, and now they can't".

I don't think anyone has made that argument that you are generalizing, at least not the same person, it doesn't make sense. The people that cared about fighter pay would hear about how much someone would make from sponsors through watching MMA and interviews and stuff, fighters talk about this stuff. Matt Mitrione fired his manager on air for only getting him 5K from a sponsor. It starts at about 3:10.

[YT]watch?v=0bfmVlPhvTo[/YT]

I don't think anyone has made that argument that you are generalizing, at least not the same person, it doesn't make sense. The people that cared about fighter pay would hear about how much someone would make from sponsors through watching MMA and interviews and stuff, fighters talk about this stuff. Matt Mitrione fired his manager on air for only getting him 5K from a sponsor. It starts at about 3:10.

But getting 2500$ from the reebok sponsorship is much better...

Herein lies the problem with the UFC contract matching clause and noncompete clause.

All the UFC is going to have to match is base pay. Then, they will hold fighters on the shelf for a year in order to match the contract without making up for the difference in sponsor opportunities.

True, though from the Alvarez/Bellator saga I believe matching clauses cover much more than base pay and I wouldnt be surprised if a valuation could be given for sponsorship freedom if UFC did try to match. But even if not that will only work on the current stable, it will definitely be a factor for any future signings

I know it doesn't make sense - that's the point. Loads of people bitching about fighter pay acted as though fighters did not make much from sponsors. That is a fact. You now have people say how unfair Reebok is because fighters can't make money from sponsors like they used to. That is a fact. No matter what, you are going to have someone bitching about the fighters inability to make money. The fact is, they've always had the ability to make a living. It looks like Mitrione took home $91k the night of UFC 119 - and trust me, it wasn't that good of a fight. I was there for it.

Those locker room bonuses tho

But seriously, there's not one person out there that can say the Reebok deal benefit anyone but the UFC. Fighters couldn't give a flying shit whether they look streamline with their opponent. UFC are the only one who car about the image and the fact that the Reebok deal leave fighter worse off is messed up.

I know it doesn't make sense - that's the point. Loads of people bitching about fighter pay acted as though fighters did not make much from sponsors. That is a fact. You now have people say how unfair Reebok is because fighters can't make money from sponsors like they used to. That is a fact. No matter what, you are going to have someone bitching about the fighters inability to make money. The fact is, they've always had the ability to make a living. It looks like Mitrione took home $91k the night of UFC 119 - and trust me, it wasn't that good of a fight. I was there for it.

Point some out then cause what you said sounds like a bullshit straw man arguement designed not to be challenged cause you were vague and didn't mention anyone. Your basically saying just trust what I say is true even though it makes no sense and doesn't sound right. It's one of the things people do on here often that pisses me off. If you have an arguement to make then make it don't bullshit an arguement.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a thread discussion on this but it was pretty revealing.

Tim Kennedy on the MMA Hour stated that he made more sponsorship money in one fight than the entire roster combined on the Glover/OSP card and he did that in Strikeforce.

Pretty incredible. The Reebok payout for 13 fights and 26 fighters was reportedly $107,500. This includes Glover who recently challenged Jon Jones and main evented a PPV.

I've never been one to really complain about fighter pay but this really does highlight a big problem. When a guy like Tim Kennedy who wasn't the most high profile, charismatic or exciting fighter back then and he manages to make more money in one fight than 26 fighters AND he does it in Strikeforce.

Dana was correct in saying that sponsor logos all over tights should have never happened in the first place but he thought it was the right thing to do to get fighters extra money during the early days of the UFC. It shouldn't have happened but it doesn't change that it DID happen and guys made a lot more money than they do now.

Luke Thomas also brought up a good point that UFC was all about cleaning up the look of the sport and presentation yet there are more logos in the octagon than ever. They didn't clean up the look, they just took control of the sponsors and took money out of the fighters pocket and put it into theirs.

What can the UFC do at this point to make up the difference? Should they? I think they are in real danger of getting unionized. They just need a big star like GSP to pull it off.

So ITT we discuss complete bullshit. OK. The most likely scenario is that Tim Kennedy hasn't made 107K in his ENTIRE CAREER, much less for 1 night.

Point some out then cause what you said sounds like a bullshit straw man arguement designed not to be challenged cause you were vague and didn't mention anyone. Your basically saying just trust what I say is true even though it makes no sense and doesn't sound right. It's one of the things people do on here often that pisses me off. If you have an arguement to make then make it don't bullshit an arguement.

Yes, I have a lot of incentive to lie on here and I'm known on here for not having integrity. I'm not going to sift through old threads and dig it out. Yes, people have stated how little fighters are paid and how much their expenses cost. People have consistently brought up other chances for revenue such as sponsors which counteracts expenses. People have stated fighters do not make much money from sponsors. I don't know why this is so hard for you to believe. I remember when some fighters came out with their estimates in an article, people were shocked saying, "I didn't think they made that much".

I'm not going to continue this back and forth further. Considering you can't spell "argument" and don't know the difference between "your" and "You're" or "there" and "their", I know I've wasted my time.

They need a union, like every other big league. It's obvious.

absolutely, the UFC will continue to take advantage of these 'independently contracted' fighters until they unionize. Fighters cannot remain hidden in the woods any longer, some may suffer consequences but it will be for the better of the sport.

Yes, I have a lot of incentive to lie on here and I'm known on here for not having integrity. I'm not going to sift through old threads and dig it out. Yes, people have stated how little fighters are paid and how much their expenses cost. People have consistently brought up other chances for revenue such as sponsors which counteracts expenses. People have stated fighters do not make much money from sponsors. I don't know why this is so hard for you to believe. I remember when some fighters came out with their estimates in an article, people were shocked saying, "I didn't think they made that much".

I'm not going to continue this back and forth further. Considering you can't spell "argument" and don't know the difference between "your" and "You're" or "there" and "their", I know I've wasted my time.

I'm not denying any of that, i'm denying that the people saying fighters weren't making much money were not the ones saying that fighters did not make much money from sponsorships.

That's what's bullshit, you are lumping people together simply cause they post on sherdog as if it's some sort of hive mind. It's not we are all individuals on here and if you can't call out individuals then you shouldn't call out anyone cause you can't prove what your saying is true.

Where did I use your and you're wrong and there and their? If I did I made a typo same with arguement, it's not a big deal typos happen, it's not as bad as using bullshit straw man arguments that you make up.

Wrong. Zuffa owns the UFC. Zuffa is partly owned by Flash Entertainment. Flash is owned by the government of Abu Dhabi. Abu Dhabi is a part of the United Arab Emirates.

Fighters are owned by the UFC. In the UAE, a wife is considered the property of the husband. Polygamy is allowed. Thus, the fighters (who are property of Zuffa) can be alternatively be viewed as Zuffa's wives, as property and wife is interchangeable, legally speaking. Martial rape is not illegal in Abu Dhabi/UAE.

Therefore, Zuffa (= husband in UAE) raping the fighters (= wives in UAE) is not illegal. Check the facts first, guy. Open your eyes and realize laws aren't the same everywhere.

RG0BS1U.gif

Back