Tim Kennedy Made More Sponorship Money Than Entire Fight Night Card

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Senzo Tanaka, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

I haven't seen a thread discussion on this but it was pretty revealing.

Tim Kennedy on the MMA Hour stated that he made more sponsorship money in one fight than the entire roster combined on the Glover/OSP card and he did that in Strikeforce.

Pretty incredible. The Reebok payout for 13 fights and 26 fighters was reportedly $107,500. This includes Glover who recently challenged Jon Jones and main evented a PPV.

I've never been one to really complain about fighter pay but this really does highlight a big problem. When a guy like Tim Kennedy who wasn't the most high profile, charismatic or exciting fighter back then and he manages to make more money in one fight than 26 fighters AND he does it in Strikeforce.

Dana was correct in saying that sponsor logos all over tights should have never happened in the first place but he thought it was the right thing to do to get fighters extra money during the early days of the UFC. It shouldn't have happened but it doesn't change that it DID happen and guys made a lot more money than they do now.

Luke Thomas also brought up a good point that UFC was all about cleaning up the look of the sport and presentation yet there are more logos in the octagon than ever. They didn't clean up the look, they just took control of the sponsors and took money out of the fighters pocket and put it into theirs.

What can the UFC do at this point to make up the difference? Should they? I think they are in real danger of getting unionized. They just need a big star like GSP to pull it off.

2. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

If fighters are really losing out that much they can fight out their contract and give Scott Coker a call. If the UFC wants to match the total package that Bellator offers then they will and the fighters will see the extra money show up in their base pay.

3. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

4. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

just curious, what do you think should be the base pay? Its at 10k/10k right now. So if a mid tier or lower level fighter fights 2 times in a given year and wins both fights he'll make around 40k+reebok pay, and thats before taxes, gym fees, etc. and Thats If he wins both fights.

I'm thinking since the effects of the reebok deal seem to be negative for the fighters, base pay should be atleast 15k/15k

5. Djpremixed

Djpremixed Blue Belt

Firstly, Kennedy has been known for touting his own horn even when it wasn't merited, so how do we know he is being truthful with his sponsorship numbers?

That being said, that pay-out amount by Reebok is horrible. If it goes on long enough then the UFC will have to do something because more and more fighters will bitch.

Let them sport their own sponsors on the way to the ring or at the pre/post conferences, but then have to sport the Reebok gear at weight ins and in the cage.

6. JohnMandick

JohnMandick Interim Saku belt

They need a union, like every other big league. It's obvious.

7. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Sure, but they are losing a lot of money for every fight left on their contract.

The UFC seems to have fucked up royally, if any credence is to be given to statements like Kennedy's here or made by Cerrone and Schaub previously.

If good fighters really were making between $50-100K in sponsorship money each fight then:
    a. They weren't starving, as some on this site would have us believe.
    b. The UFC completely misassessed how much sponsorship fighters bring in when making the Reebok deal.
    c. If, as they claim, they did this for the fighters, then they screwed up very badly and should try to get out of the deal.
    d. Even if they did this for UFC interests, which I have no problem with, it seems they undersold themselves.

8. BuffaloEmperor

BuffaloEmperor Brown Belt

I like how Kennedy is never afraid to speak his mind or tell it how it is. Also it is insane at this point that there is no fighter union.

9. ThePewp

ThePewp Green Belt

I agree, let Bellator absorb some of the fallout.

UFC will still always be better.

10. Degen Gambler

IMO the minimum pay is a unimportant number that people get far too worked up about. If in the first couple fights a guy proves he is good fighter and belongs then he will start to move up the ladder amd get paid more. If he doesn't then he gets cut. As it stands now if a guy can make 45k by winning 2 prelim fights that is a pretty good deal compared to his alternatives of making a couple grand on the regional scene.

11. Clear Winner

Clear Winner Big Poppa Pars

As a happy medium, why not allow the fighters to have 2 sponsors. 1 small logo on the front, like some have with the "Monster" logo and one medium to large one on the back?

That way, they can get their sponsorship money up, as sponsors are fighting for limited ad space. Top guys would get good brands and the lesser known lower tier guys would get the "Condom Depots" of this world.

12. frederick

frederick Red Belt

I'm never buying Reebok products. Because they suck, and I guess because of this sponsorship stuff as well.

13. ineverpost

ineverpost Black Belt

Well it seems like the UFC in the short term is more interested in promoting superstars than an organization. From a business standpoint it certainly works for them because they end up spending less on a card headlined by one superstar than a bunch of ranked fighters. UFC 190 did the most buys so far this year and Ronda was the only big name on it. Now on the flip side this gives exposure to the women's division, just like Conor gives exposure to lighter weight classes. Bethe Correia would not be making a living in fighting right now if it weren't for Ronda Rousey, I think that is a fact. Chad Mendes got a giant payday for stepping in against Conor. These guys are seeing money they would only be dreaming about without this type of business model.

14. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

i kinda like the idea of a few elimination type fights if someone gets signed to a 10k/10k, maybe 2 or 3 fights and depending on they do over those fights few fights they either get cut or get a larger, higher paying contract. Example if you go 2-1 and finish both opponents you get kept, but if you go 1-2 and look lackluster, you get cut.

Just a thought though

15. Velkar182

Velkar182 Brown Belt

Good post. If the numbers are accurate, fighters are being raped. Last I checked, rape is illegal...

16. Stine 304

Stine 304 Yellow Belt

Yep. People think 45k is fantastic but they forget about gym fees, travel, travel for the team, nutrition/supplements, management fees, etc. The shit ain't easy and it's not like the 45k salary you get from the post office.

17. Stine 304

Stine 304 Yellow Belt

Also, high UFC schill.

18. Degen Gambler

I think they knew that they would get shit for this when they made the deal, maybe not to this extent though. The thing is the sponsorship environment was a gravy train for fighters that the UFC allowed. I blame managers for not seeing that this gravy train would end because the writing was on the wall for a couple years. They should have negotiated contracts such that their fighter would be made whole if his sponsorship deal was changed mid contract. It just goes to show how disorganized and incompetent MMA managers are. This is serious business and now the fighters and their teams got the wake up call that they need to get organized on the business side or the UFC will run them over.

19. the can

the can fat guy belt

if 2/3 of ufc fighters split for bellylater would ufc still be better?

20. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

You are making good points, and I do think a lot of MMA managers seem incompetent.

But if the UFC wanted its piece of the advertising gravy train and got into a deal with Reebok for a small fraction of what that sponsorship spot was really worth, then they were even more incompetent.

It's a bad deal, not only for the fighters but also for the UFC.