Tim Kennedy and Brendan Schaub discuss the The UFC/Reebok deal together

Frank23

Enter Sandman Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
[YT]ygvhCLDcESk[/YT]

28:30-42:42

UFC fighters Tim Kennedy and Brendan Schaub recently discussed the UFC/Reebok deal together. Both fighters have been very outspoken against the deal and don't know a solution on how to fix it. It's really worth a listen. What are your thoughts?

20130705063218_5D3_5449.JPG

Tim Kennedy MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com

20130922060340_1DX_1172.JPG

Brendan Schaub MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com

Tim Kennedy and Brendan Schaub haven't fought in a long time.

You know the one thing that seems to connect just about every fighter that's outspoken against the Reebok deal.

They're currently salty about a loss or losing streak.

Reebok sucks. I'd be outspoken about it as well.

You know the one thing that seems to connect just about every fighter that's outspoken against the Reebok deal.

They're currently salty about a loss or losing streak.

I love how you didn't address the fact that a guy like Kennedy would literally make 5 to 10% of what they used to make under the deal.

Can't listen to it I am at the office and this computer has no speakers. But based on what I have heard from Schaub previously I think its a simple case of the immediate interests of an individual fighter vs the long term interests of the UFC.

It would have been interesting for the UFC to have considered some of the more known fighters and what their camps/managers were able to get them in terms of Sponsorships and either paid them a bigger piece of the pie behind the scenes. The Reebok deal give fighters money to replace the Dynamic Fasteners and Condom Depots of the world but the better known ones had higher end and higher paying sponsors that are now out of the picture.

The argument of being able to have any sponsor you want except the week of your fights is ridiculous as that is where the value and exposure is for any sponsor.

Honestly I don't like to hear these guys post fight speeches with Rogan, but hearing these guys speak for 1 full hour? I cant do it.

I love how you didn't address the fact that a guy like Kennedy would literally make 5 to 10% of what they used to make under the deal.

I like the fact that you can't comprehend that Kennedy only made as much as he did because the sponsors were using him to get cheap television ads, not because anyone actually cares who Tim Kennedy is.

The Reebok deal does suck. The problem is that you have expendable fighters talking about it. If you had people like Weidman or McGregor talking about it more head would turn (that mattered). The problem here of course is that these fighters are signing individual contracts with Reebok and making much more money.

From the beginning, the reebok deal was never about the fighters. It was about the owners getting a payday.

They wanted to streamline the sport, but all they did was make everyone hate reebok and pissed the fighters off, even the ones that are not outspoken.

Over the duration of the reebok deal, we are going to see many battles between fighters and dana white. Some fighters are going to try and run out their contract and head to bellator like kos did, and the ones that Dana wants to keep he will try and resign them all before their contracts have at least one fight left, and if they don't resign, he will freeze their career, not offer them a new fight and make them sit.

Just watch.

I like the fact that you can't comprehend that Kennedy only made as much as he did because the sponsors were using him to get cheap television ads, not because anyone actually cares who Tim Kennedy is.

And the other 99% of the roster that are getting screwed?

From the beginning, the reebok deal was never about the fighters. It was about the owners getting a payday.

They wanted to streamline the sport, but all they did was make everyone hate reebok and pissed the fighters off, even the ones that are not outspoken.

Over the duration of the reebok deal, we are going to see many battles between fighters and dana white. Some fighters are going to try and run out their contract and head to bellator like ko's did, and the ones that Dana wants to keep he will try and resign them all before their contracts have at least one fight left, and if they don't resign, he will freeze their career, not offer them a new fight and make them sit.

Just watch.

I am watching... seems fighters in bellator are also not happy

Enough with the hyperbole, geez.

No sense talking to you if that's your argument.

It's not hyperbole at all. Even guys like Rogan, the voice of the UFC, have had something to say about it. You're a typical "fan" who doesn't give a fuck about the fighters and always sides with the promotion screwing them.

Is this really thread worthy?

I have a hard time listening to either of these guys talk by themselves. Getting them together to talk seems like a bad idea.
However I do understand that people have the right to (and they should) speak out if they feel like they are being wronged.

Back