Tiger schulmanns good to fight?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i'm not actually looking to train there yet. At least not for a while. But i'm just curious is tiger schulmanns a good place to fight out of?

The reason i'm asking is because i pass by a tiger shulmanns near my house everyday on my way to the boxing gym in paterson. And i feel tempted to train there.

Maybe in the future i will, but not now and since i'm training for 50/mo at the boxing gym, i should really wait until i have a whole shit load of money beforr doing that.

And no i'm not asking because i allegedly think karate is shit, in fact i'm no training their for the karate i've been thinking about training their for the kickboxing and mma. The karate i might train.

I’m pretty sure tiger schulmann started out as a karate mcdojo...

But I don’t have any first hand experience with them

I know that. They just started they're mma and kickboxing program like in 2013 around when i started training. I called them and they said they are 219 a month for at least 2x a week. Thats a whole shit load of money lol.

Tiger schulmanns was where my big brother and my big sister when they were training karate got they're black belts. I trained their too but again i don't remember shit about it or any other really good things about my childhood.

Personally I wouldn’t trust them

Thats what i'm thinking too. Oh and this tiger shulmanns i find out that they don't compete but their nyc location does. They also said they do tournaments every winter and summer for people to compete against other tiger shulmanns gyms. So thats pretty exciting, 219 a month is a little too much. So i'm not going to do that for a while.

Thats what i'm thinking too. Oh and this tiger shulmanns i find out that they don't compete but their nyc location does. They also said they do tournaments every winter and summer for people to compete against other tiger shulmanns gyms. So thats pretty exciting, 219 a month is a little too much. So i'm not going to do that for a while.
lmao who is the best under the tiger schulman banner is like which BK is fanciest

I don't have any first hand experience with Tiger S either but the founder was an accomplished Kyokushin black belt who cross-trained various arts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Schulmann

One may question his switch to teaching MMA (since he never competed) but I wouldn't call it a "karate mcdojo" if the head coach is legit. A "karate dojo" for sure but not a "mcdojo".

Tiger's MMA team seems to have produced quite a few decent fighters too:
https://www.sherdog.com/stats/fightfinder?association=Team+Tiger+Schulmann
https://www.tapology.com/gyms/822-tiger-schulmanns-mixed-martial-arts

Rivera, Good, Arce, Hall, Burgos, Trizano... those are good fighters. Not saying they learned everything at TSMMA but they are affiliated with that team and seem to be happy to train there.

Tiger schulman started out in kyokushin (and later related offshoots. he was with oyama karate a while) as a fairly accomplished tournament fighter. Not internationally accomplished, but pretty good.
His gym chain is quality depending on who he has teaching a specific gym. He quite often import already accomplished fighters to fight and teach under his banner.
As I understand it it is pretty much a borderline McDojo gym that has "elite groups" where the fighters may or may not have actually originated in the organization.

I don't have any first hand experience with Tiger S either but the founder was an accomplished Kyokushin black belt who cross-trained various arts.

One may question his switch to teaching MMA (since he never competed) but I wouldn't call it a "karate mcdojo" if the head coach is legit. A "karate dojo" for sure but not a "mcdojo".

Rivera, Good, Arce, Hall, Burgos, Trizano... those are good fighters. Not saying they learned everything at TSMMA but they are affiliated with that team and seem to be happy to train there.
you can be an accomplished karateka and still run a mcdojo.
Either because you’re just not a good teacher, or because you’re lazy and just watering it down to ensure all the clueless parents and kids train there.
From what I have seen/heard the second one was the case as far as the karate was concerned, but that was also like 7 years ago maybe they’re different now

Tiger schulman started out in kyokushin (and later related offshoots. he was with oyama karate a while) as a fairly accomplished tournament fighter. Not internationally accomplished, but pretty good.
His gym chain is quality depending on who he has teaching a specific gym. He quite often import already accomplished fighters to fight and teach under his banner.
As I understand it it is pretty much a borderline McDojo gym that has "elite groups" where the fighters may or may not have actually originated in the organization.
Ah so he basically finds some way to recruit fighters that already trained and got solid skills in order to make his gyms look good and attract new students

Ah so he basically finds some way to recruit fighters that already trained and got solid skills in order to make his gyms look good and attract new students
Schulmans schools also has homegrown talents.

In all fairness, hiring skilled teachers (and fighters) from outside, is pretty much how all fight gyms work. VERY few gyms has its fighter lineup and instructor lineup stocked with only home grown talent. How many of golden glorys fighters and instructors are purely "in-house" products?
Schulmans schools imported a lot of mma guys, BJJ guys and kickboxers -and to be honest, going from a pure karate gym to a MMA gym with karate classes as a sideline, anything else would have been as strange as a BJJ gym going MMA without importing outside instructors would have been.

The problem is that it seems to be a McDojo base with separate good "elite" groups, and for most -especially those who dont train in a few specific gyms that houses said elite groups, the way to get from one to the other is very long.

Schulmans schools also has homegrown talents.

In all fairness, hiring skilled teachers (and fighters) from outside, is pretty much how all fight gyms work. VERY few gyms has its fighter lineup and instructor lineup stocked with only home grown talent. How many of golden glorys fighters and instructors are purely "in-house" products?
Schulmans schools imported a lot of mma guys, BJJ guys and kickboxers -and to be honest, going from a pure karate gym to a MMA gym with karate classes as a sideline, anything else would have been as strange as a BJJ gym going MMA without importing outside instructors would have been.

The problem is that it seems to be a McDojo base with separate good "elite" groups, and for most -especially those who dont train in a few specific gyms that houses said elite groups, the way to get from one to the other is very long.
not criticizing hiring instructors from outside for the MMA side, but what seems to be just padding their organization with a few people who might have some name recognition or a good record, likely as a marketing ploy, to say “look at these people we have who fight under our name” to attract new people who are likely getting mcdojo-ish levels of training because they’re not at one of those gyms that gets the elite instructors that actually end up working with those fighters.

If quality can’t be guaranteed I don’t think franchising/expanding should happen

not criticizing hiring instructors from outside for the MMA side, but what seems to be just padding their organization with a few people who might have some name recognition or a good record, likely as a marketing ploy, to say “look at these people we have who fight under our name” to attract new people who are likely getting mcdojo-ish levels of training because they’re not at one of those gyms that gets the elite instructors that actually end up working with those fighters.

If quality can’t be guaranteed I don’t think franchising/expanding should happen
I agree. Just playing the devils advocate a bit.

I didn't know rivera trained there. Wasn't he a really good prospect at one point?

Back