Tiequan Zhang v. Jon Tuck one of the most underrated fights of the year

Minnja

Touch-Butt white belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did not get to watch the fight live, and I only saw a round or 2 on one of the FUEL replays, and right now I am watching the whole fight on FUEL replay.

I know Zhang isn't a top tier fighter but I don't think he's as bad as people say he is. And Tuck making his UFC debut most people on here thought he was gonna destroy Zhang.

But this is a pretty exciting fight and I don't see people talking about either fight or this fight. The grappling exchanges are awesome, very fast paced and technical. The striking is also pretty exciting, both guys are landing and are very active. Very fun fight and good debut for Tuck.

Would like to see Tuck fight again soon. Maybe against a TUF alumni or someone with a decent amount of experience.

I'm interested to see how Zhang's career plays out, in and out of the octagon. I find it funny AND cool to think of him as "The elder statesman of Chinese MMA" in the future. Regardless of his skill, he's in a really good place (in life) to turn this into something.

Definitely one of those good fights that aren't talked about enough. Many people on sherdog said Tuck would destory Zhang but Zhang put up a fight. I would like to see Jon Tuck fight someone like Abel Trujillo or Rustam Khabilov next. And Zhang should fight someone like Mike Ricci or Marcus LeVesseur.

Should have been FOTN for sure. Don't know if I would consider it among one of the best fights of the year, but certainly worth a view.

I'm actually a big Zhang fan. He doesn't seem like a great fighter, but he's very entertaining to watch.

I really enjoyed the first two rounds, but the third was mostly Tuck backpedaling iirc

wasn't a FOTY candidate but definatley worthy of a mention

I'm actually a big Zhang fan. He doesn't seem like a great fighter, but he's very entertaining to watch.

im a fan also. he's not that good but he brings it every time

It was a good fight, but one of the best of the year?.. not so sure... one of the 10 best fights?..maybe

it was a great fight! I was really rooting for Zhang, some say he is the best fighter to ever come out of China

im a fan also. he's not that good but he brings it every time

His fighting style is very typical of the style in chinese local competitions.

So I think it will be exciting if they can start to bring more local Chinese talents into UFC - there are actually a lot more capable fighters than Zhang in China, they just haven't got the chance yet.

It was a good fight, but one of the best of the year?.. not so sure... one of the 10 best fights?..maybe

Top 10 fights out of 100+ just in the UFC is pretty significant haha.

But yeah I'm not saying it's in contention for FOTY, but it's definitely a very good fight and the grappling was very exciting.

Back