Tiebreaker Criteria for Draws

Matthew Fedler

Professional Fighter
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Bellator used a convenient rule that the champion moves on in a tournament in the event of a draw. But what would happen if neither fighter were champion?

Chael Sonnen also argued last night that the one judge scoring the fight for Fitch should give him the win, but that would only apply to Majority Draws and ignores Split and Unanimous possibilities.

My suggestion would be to take the tiebreaker criteria from Freestyle Wrestling and apply it to MMA. The criteria includes:
  • Value of holds – The wrestler who scored the highest point value move. For example, if one wrestler hit a five point move and the other wrestler’s highest value move was only three points, then the wrestler with the five point move would win the tiebreaker.
  • Applied to MMA: A dominant 10-8 round is more valuable than two 10-9 rounds.
  • Example: Fitch beats Rory by Unanimous Decision last night.

• Least number of cautions.
  • Applied to MMA: The fighter with the least point deductions wins.
  • Example: Rashad Evans beats Tito Ortiz by Unanimous Decision at UFC 73.

• Last point scored.
  • Applied to MMA: In the rare event of a 10-10 round resulting in a draw, the fighter who wins the latest round wins the fight.
  • Example: Mizuto Hirota beats Teruto Ishihara by Split Decision at UFN: Barnett vs Nelson.
It would be especially useful in the context of a tournament, but could be applied universally in a sport where athletes typically compete just 2-4 times a year.

Last edited:
5 minute overtime round ala UFC FLW tournament. Interestingly, apparently Mouse vs McCall was a draw but somehow got awarded to Mouse. Old K1 had a similar rule.

I don't even understand how they got a tie in that fight. Isn't it in the rules that there must a winner of the round. No round was a 10-8.

So interim vs undisputed on a tournament? No other way both are champions on the same div/org, would still go with the undisputed champ tho.

I think the delay in reading the decision was figuring out what to announce in regards to who was advancing. It does beg the question of what happens if say, Lima vs MVP goes to a draw. I always assumed there was an overtime round. I think that was the rule for the HW GP and I know they announced it during that LHW tournament they did.

I agree with the decision that the champion advances. It was a title fight after all and the idea is that the title will be on the line in the finals. Besides, I thought Rory won anyway.

Winner of Tournament becomes champion, and since draws count as a title defence, this criteria not only makes sense as a way of assuring the belt holder always advances, but was fundamentally essential.

Last edited:
5 minute overtime round ala UFC FLW tournament. Interestingly, apparently Mouse vs McCall was a draw but somehow got awarded to Mouse. Old K1 had a similar rule.

No. This was a title fight. Fighters are not allowed to fight beyond 25 minutes within the same day.

I don't even understand how they got a tie in that fight. Isn't it in the rules that there must a winner of the round. No round was a 10-8.
Not necessarily. Just that 10 points must be awarded to at least one fighter.

Back