Thurman-Porter and Garcia-Guerrero in the works?

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
t's take a spin around the rumor mill once again, because, well, why not? Talk has been heating up that Thurman-Porter and Garcia-Guerrero are both in the works for later this fall. Although the Twittersphere is catching fire about these potential fights, FightHype is also citing sources who are substantiating that these match-ups are really being negotiated.

According to their sources, Thurman-Porter is being considered to go on a Oct. 3 PBC card featuring Adrien Broner vs. Khabib Allakhverdiev, and Garcia-Guerrero is being considered for a late October date. With all that speculation out of the way, let's just consider the match-ups themselves at face-value.

Thurman Porter is great.

Fuck Swift/Ghost. My jimmies are rustled.

Thurman versus Porter is a perfect match for where both guys are right now. Style differences should be interesting and I honestly think it's a pick /em type fight.

Danny versus Ghost is a bad idea all the way around.

I like the thurman porter fight, but I think it's too soon if that makes any sense. I think if they both had another 2 fights on pbc under their belt it would be a lot bigger

Could hopefully be a set up for thurman(or porter) vs garcia(or guerrero). I don't think guerrero is a shot fighter, he just does a lot of things wrong.

I like the thurman porter fight, but I think it's too soon if that makes any sense. I think if they both had another 2 fights on pbc under their belt it would be a lot bigger

I think it's a couple fights later then it should have happened already, not too soon at all.

Tired of so many fighters wanting to be the top guy before they fight each other. You can't be the top guy without fighting other real contenders for the spot. Sick of dudes comparing resumes to decide who is better instead of just fighting each other.

Angel Garcia vs Ruben Guerrero could be good fun.

Angel would fuck him up long dick style.

He''ll run all night! Like a chee-kin!

I think it's a couple fights later then it should have happened already, not too soon at all.

Tired of so many fighters wanting to be the top guy before they fight each other. You can't be the top guy without fighting other real contenders for the spot. Sick of dudes comparing resumes to decide who is better instead of just fighting each other.

You could be right. I just think there are 4 dudes in WW division right now that will be "the future" of the division. And to have 1 knocked off already seems like bad business, but yeah as a fight fan I would be happy to see it now.

You could be right. I just think there are 4 dudes in WW division right now that will be "the future" of the division. And to have 1 knocked off already seems like bad business, but yeah as a fight fan I would be happy to see it now.

Why wouldn't either one be able to bounce back? Porter regained a little of the stock he lost by beating Broner, even though Broner is a bit overrated.

I hope Haymon gives Thurman-Porter their own date in Vegas(So I can go!:icon_twis).

Who are the 4? Thurman, Brook, Garcia, and Porter?

The problem I have, is I do not want to call anybody the "future" because they are undefeated against less-than-stellar competition. I don't really give a damn about their undefeated records if one guy is fighting Salka, Paulie, and Guerrero in 3 out of his last 4, and the other guy's last 3 were Collazo, Guerrero, and Bundu. You know what I mean?

These guys are ready to fight each other. I'd even say they need to fight very soon, before their fight is spoiled by a bad loss. Garcia almost lost to Herrera and Thurman was hurt by Collazo. All it takes is one bad night and a potentially great fight between Garcia and Thurman is spoiled or lost altogether. We've seen that over and over in boxing, you have to strike while the iron is hot.

Guarantee that Angel takes that hat off Ruben's head that he always wears at some point during the build up and Ruben freaks the fuck out, Floyd conference style. Lol, the old man trash talking is the best part of this fight.

As for the actual fight, Danny should handle him w/o much trouble, not a super interesting fight, imo, although Guerrero is a tough dude and he's a vet.

Here's the thing I'm really wondering:

If he's fighting guys like Paulie and now a tougher guy but not a huge test at this point in his career in Guerrero, is it b/c he's just getting to 147 and they want to break him in?

B/c he's still young, only 27, and they still think he needs some polishing?

Or maybe, just maybe, they want to build up his name on these pbc cards against vets that aren't big threats, and keep him away from said huge threat b/c his biggest claim to fame is the fact that he's unbeaten and he's hoping for that Floyd 50th payday?

Could be all of the above?

Just throwing it out there, the guy has fought the best of the best at 140, he beat my boy Matthysse clearly, Lamont recently, Khan, etc. But fuck, I wouldn't blame him or his handlers if that's what's up here, especially if he's getting hints through the grapevine that it's a legit possibility to fight Floyd. And it could very well be the case, imo. Everybody likes that "somebody's 0 has got to go" shit and Danny's a legit candidate.

Edit: Me and The Can Opener kind of touched on Danny and the undefeated thing the other day so maybe I'm just looking too far into this, if i'm smart enough to be able to look to far into stuff, that is.

Why wouldn't either one be able to bounce back? Porter regained a little of the stock he lost by beating Broner, even though Broner is a bit overrated.

I hope Haymon gives Thurman-Porter their own date in Vegas(So I can go!:icon_twis).

They absolutely could, but depending on the type of loss it could also derail a career.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this fight tomorrow. I was just thinking business wise. But that also could be why I don't have my own boxing promotion

Who are the 4? Thurman, Brook, Garcia, and Porter?

The problem I have, is I do not want to call anybody the "future" because they are undefeated against less-than-stellar competition. I don't really give a damn about their undefeated records if one guy is fighting Salka, Paulie, and Guerrero in 3 out of his last 4, and the other guy's last 3 were Collazo, Guerrero, and Bundu. You know what I mean?

These guys are ready to fight each other. I'd even say they need to fight very soon, before their fight is spoiled by a bad loss. Garcia almost lost to Herrera and Thurman was hurt by Collazo. All it takes is one bad night and a potentially great fight between Garcia and Thurman is spoiled or lost altogether. We've seen that over and over in boxing, you have to strike while the iron is hot.

Yeah that's also a good point. And yeah those were the 4 I was thinking of.
And you are right they are all unproven which is why I put quotation marks around the future.

Knowing PBC they will put this fight on Bounce TV while they put Erislandy Lara on NBC primetime

I don't think any of those guys losing to any of those other guys is a career breaker at all. The public has always forgiven losses against good competition. Think about it for a minute.

Khan got crushed by Danny Garcia and still considers himself the top got behind Manny/Floyd in the world and lots of casual fans agree.

Broner got bounced by Maidana and never lost a step as far as getting any fights he wants and headlining them every time and he has a legit belt title fight soon even though he lost again in his last fight.

Porter lost recently and still got the big Broner fight and now is looking like he'll get Thurman next.

Losing to real competition isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back